Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 03:00 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,908,297 times

Advertisements

For those wanting to invest in Columbus, Georgia's ever-increasing tourism, TWO experiences that would do VERY well in this area would be an iFLY indoor skydiving/anti-gravity experience, and a Jump Tower parachute "ride!" Both could be built at the National Infantry Museum complex, which are right across the street from Oxbow Meadows, AND Historic Westville!

The Rialto and Bradley theaters in UpTown on Broadway could also be renovated into multiplex theaters showing first-run movies for the thousands of people living within walking distance. Dinner and a movie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 11:44 AM

967 posts, read 1,076,134 times
Great ideas! I always though an outdoor water park would do well here. It would do great with the white water rafting.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:52 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,172,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWColumbus View Post
Great ideas! I always though an outdoor water park would do well here. It would do great with the white water rafting.
Quote:
I always though an outdoor water park would do well here.
This!

The city should have fought for that indoor water park that's being built in Lagrange.

Last edited by Fountain-of-youth; 12-27-2017 at 03:11 PM..

Old 12-27-2017, 03:09 PM

DW and Fountain: You are both right on! It is what it is. Nevertheless, I've made repeated comments in the Ledger online that the Columbus tourism and hospitality folks need to buy billboard sites, now, across from the Great Wolf Lodge site to promote whitewater, etc. here in town! I also suggest that Groome Transportation get together with GWL and do an hourly shuttle run between there and Uptown, the National Infantry Museum, etc. Many of GWL's visitors would likely take the short ride to Columbus, once they see what we have to offer. Add a couple of strategically placed I-85 billboards advertising things to do in COLUMBUS, and we're all set!

Old 12-27-2017, 04:48 PM

297 posts, read 260,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
DW and Fountain: You are both right on! It is what it is. Nevertheless, I've made repeated comments in the Ledger online that the Columbus tourism and hospitality folks need to buy billboard sites, now, across from the Great Wolf Lodge site to promote whitewater, etc. here in town! I also suggest that Groome Transportation get together with GWL and do an hourly shuttle run between there and Uptown, the National Infantry Museum, etc. Many of GWL's visitors would likely take the short ride to Columbus, once they see what we have to offer. Add a couple of strategically placed I-85 billboards advertising things to do in COLUMBUS, and we're all set!
I completely agree with you! We have a lot to offer in Columbus, but overall we need to do a better job with marketing. The city should take a play out of Columbus State's playbook and aggressively market in all surrounding cities and areas in between. Many people in Middle and South Georgia as well as East and South Alabama need to be aware of all we have to offer as they would be our "low hanging fruit" in regards to tourism and travel. Billboards Everywheree!!! (Lagrange, Albany, Macon, Warner Robins, Atlanta metro, Newnan, Valdosta, Aubrun/Opelika, Montgomery, Dothan.) Also great idea with the regional shuttle service! Definitely would bolster up regional tourism.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:41 AM

Default ABSOLUTELY Need to Promote Columbus Regionally!

Young Professional, your suggestion to go after low hanging fruit is a GREAT idea!! The overall economic benefits to Columbus, Phenix City, and the surrounding area would far outweigh the marketing costs involved. We should be advertised in ALL the cities you mentioned, and promoted as a great place to visit, and do a staycation!! We need to get the thousands of military family and friends who come here for graduations and military reunions to "Discover Columbus and Linger Longer!" "Stay an extra day, or two!!" Install electronic billboards in Atlanta, and the other cities you mentioned, that can be updated daily to show current events in town! I would definitely market heavily in the Atlanta area to folks there who may be looking for a nice getaway from their daily hectic lives. CVB promoters could say things like "This isn't your grandfather's Columbus!" "Check us out, you'll be amazed!" (to take advantage of the CVB's new slogan). I'd even advertise along the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail, etc. etc. And most definitely promote our city as an awesome place to have soccer, softball, tennis, golf, bowling, and other tournaments! As everyone knows, our beautiful aquatic center in underutilized. It should be widely promoted for regional and national swim meets, to include high school and college meets! The NAIA Swimming and Diving National Championships are already slated to return here in 2018. Let's use that as a jumping point for more such events!! Your suggestions, and my additions seem like no-brainers, and may be somewhat aggressive, but nothing ventured, nothing gained!! For years, it's seemed like we've been complacent, and just relying on people to discover Columbus on their own. The same can be said about attracting industry here. Hopefully, folks at the CVB and folks in our vast hospitality industry will see this and get together for a concerted effort to promote Columbus!! We DO have a lot to offer!! The more people who come here, the more people will move here. Thus, the real estate industry will also benefit. A win-win for all!!

Old 12-29-2017, 04:43 PM

161 posts, read 171,059 times
Quote:
For those wanting to invest in Columbus, Georgia's ever-increasing tourism, TWO experiences that would do VERY well in this area would be an iFLY indoor skydiving/anti-gravity experience, and a Jump Tower parachute "ride!" Both could be built at the National Infantry Museum complex, which are right across the street from Oxbow Meadows, AND Historic Westville!

The Rialto and Bradley theaters in UpTown on Broadway could also be renovated into multiplex theaters showing first-run movies for the thousands of people living within walking distance. Dinner and a movie?
I appreciate your passion for the old Theaters Downtown. However, If they could be renovated to support bringing in enough revenue in such a small place it would have been done already. I have personally looked at both buildings and they simply do not meet the requirements of modern day theaters. The movie industry has numerous contract requirements for new theaters. I do agree that it would be a great addition but is is not going to happen unless someone with a large amount of Money needs a money loosing tax write off. Each of the builds would need seven figure renovations and still not have enough space.

Old 12-29-2017, 06:26 PM

Default Thanks for the Theater Comments

HighTech, thanks for understanding my passion and feelings about restoring the Rialto and Bradley theaters. I went to both of them as a kid and truly believe they would be a nice addition to downtown as working movie houses. But I'm also realistic and appreciate your explanation as to why they haven't been brought back to life. Hopefully someone with deep pockets will eventually come along before they disappear forever.

Old 12-29-2017, 06:30 PM

Default Thanks for the Theater Comments

HighTech, Maybe knock down the common wall and build one multiplex utilizing all the space of the original two theaters???

Old 01-09-2018, 01:57 PM

297 posts, read 260,809 times
Quote:
For years, it's seemed like we've been complacent, and just relying on people to discover Columbus on their own. The same can be said about attracting industry here. Hopefully, folks at the CVB and folks in our vast hospitality industry will see this and get together for a concerted effort to promote Columbus!! We DO have a lot to offer!! The more people who come here, the more people will move here. Thus, the real estate industry will also benefit. A win-win for all!!
Yet again, I agree with everything 100%. We are in need of a revamped marketing campaign to really "sell" Columbus outside of the general Columbus area. Just like with the "We do Amazing" slogan; it's fine, but if we are the only ppl that know about it, then it will not be nearly as impactful. I would absolutely love to see the city lead collaboration efforts for regional tourism for entire "Chattahoochee Valley" inclusive of east Alabama. We have a unique opportunity, I hope we will capitalize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA