Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 09:52 AM

2,250 posts, read 2,165,732 times

Advertisements

Lack of support for an Atlanta-based company’s proposal to build a senior housing complex on Wynnton Road might have backfired in the wake of a recent Columbus Council meeting.

Instead of building 84 housing units for residents 55 and older, as TBG Residential proposed Tuesday night, the developers have decided to move forward with their original plans to build an even higher-density development at the 2551 Wynnton Road location. Those plans call for a 94-unit, multifamily affordable housing complex on the 6 acre site.

Council, neighbors oppositon to apartments backfires | Columbus Ledger-Enquirer

This project will be built on the land directly across from Flournoy and Calhoun office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 07:31 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times
Looks like there is going to be an organized effort to oppose this development by residents of the area. I think they will be out protesting on May 20th. I definitely support this effort to oppose this development.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:54 AM

1,054 posts, read 881,948 times
I try to be consciousness of NIMBYism but I think the residents have a very strong case to fight this. Unless guarantees on (low) hardcaps of Sec8 units and a higher end of affordable housing (60-80% of area household income) targets are agreed upon I'd fight this too. The homes along Hilton Ave don't need a housing project built on top of them.

Maybe security measures guaranteed by the builder/managing entity could be worked out too.

I can't help but think how excited for the project and the Wynnton Corridor I would be if this was a proposal for 60 or 70 "luxury" apartments.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:09 AM

2,250 posts, read 2,165,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
I try to be consciousness of NIMBYism but I think the residents have a very strong case to fight this. Unless guarantees on (low) hardcaps of Sec8 units and a higher end of affordable housing (60-80% of area household income) targets are agreed upon I'd fight this too. The homes along Hilton Ave don't need a housing project built on top of them.

Maybe security measures guaranteed by the builder/managing entity could be worked out too.

I can't help but think how excited for the project and the Wynnton Corridor I would be if this was a proposal for 60 or 70 "luxury" apartments.
A strong case against density?

Quote:
“We’re not opposed to a development there. We’re opposed to this particular development because of density issues, the traffic issues and environmental concerns. That’s what I’m hearing from everybody,” Tyler Pritchard, a resident of the area, said last week during an information session that he scheduled for concerned citizens.
Quote:
Muffy Schladensky, a lifetime resident of the Midtown area who lives on Wildwood Avenue, and is on the Midtown Inc. board, said the organization is not against mixed-income housing. Instead, she is concerned with the lack of details released by the developer about traffic issues and the density of the apartment complex.

The previous owner in favor of the project.

Quote:
The land targeted for development is under contract with the Eakle Family. Grandin Eakle, who now lives in Harris County, said his family has owned it for more than 100 years. At the informational meeting last week, he implored residents not to jump to conclusions on the quality and impact the apartment development will have on the area.

He confirmed that TBG Residential had contacted the family two years ago about selling the land, which was rezoned for multifamily use sometime in the late 1960s or early 1970s, according to city planning officials. He said the family declined to sell to the developer a couple of times before ultimately making the decision to go ahead with it. He did not disclose the sales price.

“I understand that you and a lot of other people are against this or you’re angry,” Eakle told the more than 200 residents who attended the information meeting at the main Columbus Library on Macon Road. “We’ve always had plans to do something there. You cannot expect us to not do something with that piece of property.”
Columbus residents plan to fight Atlanta developer

This is not a section 8 project,it's a mix-income project. We have been seeing this trend already with Columbus Commons,Arbor Point and Ashley Station.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:51 AM

Apartment developer denied low-income tax credits for Columbus project amid opposition

Old 12-02-2018, 08:41 AM

197 posts, read 204,801 times
Exactly why is someone who doesn't want affordable housing in their neighborhood living in a town where only about 25% of the population over age 25 has a bachelors degree?

Old 12-02-2018, 09:02 AM

463 posts, read 520,275 times
Exactly whys is someone who hates this city so much trolling on its forum. So often? The world may never know!

Old 12-02-2018, 11:07 AM

297 posts, read 260,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofagun112 View Post
Exactly whys is someone who hates this city so much trolling on its forum. So often? The world may never know!
Whats a forum without a good ol troll lol...If I hate some place, I would just leave but maybe that makes too much sense lol

Old 12-02-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethalhipster9 View Post
Exactly why is someone who doesn't want affordable housing in their neighborhood living in a town where only about 25% of the population over age 25 has a bachelors degree?
What a particularly stupid thing to say, even for you. People of all economic and demographic backgrounds have opinions about their neighborhoods and what should be built in them, regardless of the total percentage of four year degree holders in a city.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:35 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,904,858 times
As a matter of comparison: In Metro Atlanta (BOOM TOWN USA!) the % with bachelors degrees is 33%. The US average is 27%. So 25% doesn't look so bad now, does it troll person? I know a lot of folks without a degree that make a lot more money than some college graduates I know! Although it helps, it ain't ALL about having a college degree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA