Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2014, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,689 times

Advertisements

I have recently moved from San Diego and currently living in New Albany/Westerville area. I want to move everything to Dublin because I hear the area is slightly less expensive. I have a young family, 2 year old I'm recently out of the military going to school and my wife just started working for the OSU hospital. Just looking g for some more info about the area. Thanks for your help.

Semper Fi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 05:58 PM

381 posts, read 642,722 times
I don't think the question was phrased correctly. Do you mean the part of Columbus that is still in the Dublin school district?

You may want to look at the Dublin school district boundaries online. Quite a bit of the area east of Sawmill and north of 270 is in Dublin schools but Columbus city taxes. Much of the Olde Sawmill neighborhood. Again, check the maps.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:40 PM

166 posts, read 344,003 times
Some areas near Dublin Rd. just north of Hayden Run Rd. are Dublin Schools with Columbus taxes. Also, Dublin is only slightly less expensive than New Albany... it is still a fairly upscale area.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:55 PM

797 posts, read 2,338,209 times
Yes, Dublin taxes are still quite high. I lived on the east side of Sawmill Rd at Hard Rd and was in Dublin schools with Columbus taxes

Old 05-13-2014, 03:56 AM

73 posts, read 185,103 times
I know it can be confusing even to many people who live here, let alone someone moving into the area.

Dublin and Columbus are both cities. If you live within the boundaries of the city of Dublin, the portion of your property taxes that go to a city will go to Dublin, and if you live within the boundaries of the city of Columbus, the portion of your property taxes that go to a city will go to Columbus. In this area however, the bulk of the property taxes go to the school district in which your property is located, and most school districts in this area do not follow city boundary lines.

There are several reasons for this, most notably is that despite some of their names that would suggest otherwise, the school districts in this area typically have nothing to do with the cities. They are completely separate entities. School district boundaries were laid out right after the counties themselves were established, which long predated almost all towns and villages, and in the beginning those rural school districts in a given county (including Franklin County) answered to the county-wide school board. Towns came later, and grew into the then-rural school districts that were already there.

Some of those rural districts later changed their names to match the town or city that grew up in the middle of the district, such as Dublin or Hilliard. That has caused a lot of confusion among people who think if they live in a particular school district (i.e. Dublin Schools), then they must also live in the city of Dublin. Not true. Dublin schools serves all of the students who live in their area no matter what city grew into their borders, including Dublin, Columbus, and a large area of still unincorporated township area.

Some students who live within the city of Dublin go to Hilliard schools for that same reason. "Hilliard City Schools" (also in reality unaffiliated with the city of Hilliard) was called Scioto-Darby School District from the 1800s until they changed their name in the 1980s. It has caused confusion ever since, especially since the area HCS serves has over the decades seen Hilliard, Columbus, and even the SW corner of Dublin grow into their area.

So, if you live in the Columbus portion of the Dublin School District, a small portion of your property taxes will go to the city of Columbus, but the lion's share that goes to the applicable school district will go to Dublin Schools. The county, township, and any other applicable levies that have been voted in for a given area also get their portion.

The Dublin city tax rate may be higher than Columbus (I don't know the various rates without looking at the county web site), but you get the city services you pay for. Some people enjoy having "city resident" access to Dublin services like parks and recs and other perqs, such as the residential street plowing that the 'burbs do within their boundaries that Columbus does not. To each their own.

I recommend you look at the Franklin County web site which gives the different property tax rates depending on the combination of city, school district, township, and etc. that provide services for wherever a particular property is located (link below). Also, for any given property you may be considering, make sure you understand which city and school district service that property. It may be just across the street from a school in XYZ school district, and it may be served by the post office branch in XYZ so it has an XYZ post office zip code, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's within the boundaries of the city of XYZ for city services and city voting issue purposes.

Tax Rates
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus