Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 11:47 AM

4 posts, read 7,677 times

Advertisements

I relocated from Pittsburgh to Cincinnati 5 years ago. My Wife is originally from Dayton and wanted to move back closer to her family but I was and remain not fond of Dayton so we compromised on Cincinnati. We have both grown tired of Cincinnati. At this point I would just assume move back to Pittsburgh but that isnt going to happen. Ive spent my entire life in urban neighborhoods. The East End of Pittsburgh, Shadyside, Bloomfield(Little Italy), Friendship, East Liberty (in the early days of gentrification). Those are the kind of neighborhoods I am used to and love. There are some areas somewhat similar in Cincinnati but not as similar as some in Cincinnati like to think. Being 32 and married with two kids I guess I am willing to be slightly, very slightly, more open to seeking family friendly neighborhoods. The problem is that in Cincinnati I really cannot find a good balance between urban and family friendly. At least not to my liking. My question is can this be found in Columbus? The times I have visited Columbus it feels like a giant suburb. I have to or at least want to assume that I am missing some great neighborhoods in Columbus. So are there walkable, dense, urban areas that are just family friendly enough for me and the family to find a happy balance? If anyone here is familiar with Pittsburgh, are there any places similar to Squirrel Hill or Shadyside? Both are rather large urban neighborhoods very walkable and extremely safe considering there city location. Can this be found in Columbus? Not the least bit interested in buying until I am certain my city changing days are over and Im also not interested in paying $1000.00 a month for a three bedroom if thats useful info. Ive read about German Village but I hate the idea of moving to a city that only has one or two really great neighborhoods. Are there others? Economy, low crime, good location between my in-laws in Dayton and my hometown in Pittsburgh all make Columbus perfect I just need to know what I am looking at as far as Neighborhood choices. Tell me my initial perception that it is one giant suburb is completely wrong or at least somewhat wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 02:55 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
German Village, Italian and Victorian villages (Short North), the Arena District and Clintonville are all (more or less) mature, gentrified neighborhoods with decent levels of density and walkability. Urban neighborhoods that are improving but are in various stages of revitalization include Weinland Park, Downtown, East Franklinton, Olde Towne East and Merion Village. A bit further out, you have the very nice suburbs with some walkability like Grandview Heights, Bexley and Worthington. Nice suburbs with lower levels of walkability include Dublin (although it is building a lot of density currently) and Upper Arlington.

Columbus actually has the highest density neighborhoods in the state, and it's overall density in 220 square miles is on par with Cincinnati's at about 77 square miles, so there's higher density in the core than one would think. Almost all the urban core is seeing some type of revitalization, but much of it is Columbus City Schools, which aren't great. If you want to live in the core, you may have to consider alternative options as far as education for your kids, such as private, alternative or choose an inner suburb with excellent schools, such as Bexley, Grandview or Upper Arlington. Another concern to remember is that the urban core in Columbus has extremely low vacancy levels for both single-family housing and rentals. Vacancy in most cases is a few percentage points or less. Around Downtown, it's less than 1%. So if you take a look and see something you like, move on it fast.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:58 PM

240 posts, read 954,011 times
Hmmm... Walkable, urban and family-friendly. Have you looked at Clintonville? It is north of OSU, and south of Worthington. The other place I might suggest is Grandview Heights. Yes, it is a suburb, but it is in the inner ring and has a distinctly different vibe than an outer suburb like Hilliard or Pickerington.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:27 PM

I knew there had to be more to a city of 800,000+ than what appeared at first glance. I was afraid the only helpful answers would be Short North and German Village. Glad to see there are actually a respectable number of options. As far as schools go I am not the least bit hesitant to send my kids to public schools. I grew up in public city schools and thus far so have my kids. That may change when they reach highschool age but for now, public school is fine.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:35 PM

688 posts, read 1,117,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA412OH513 View Post
I knew there had to be more to a city of 800,000+ than what appeared at first glance. I was afraid the only helpful answers would be Short North and German Village. Glad to see there are actually a respectable number of options. As far as schools go I am not the least bit hesitant to send my kids to public schools. I grew up in public city schools and thus far so have my kids. That may change when they reach highschool age but for now, public school is fine.
Where are you located currently in Cincinnati? In your age bracket with children I would think Hyde Park might provide what you are looking for. Certainly closer to Rookwood Commons or even Oakley near Rookwood might provide the walkability you are looking for and proximity to downtown. Another option is perhaps Mount Adams though the price tag is rather outlandish. O'Bryanville is another option with an entertainment strip reachable by foot from most of the surrounding area.

As for Columbus, I would say take a look at Grandview Heights or Bexley. Both are relatively close to downtown and offer family friendly housing stock and good schools. As jbcmh mentioned, the rest such as Victorian Village et al are going to be Columbus Schools and I would argue are less family oriented than Bexley and Grandview. You may find some 30-somethings in those areas but barring Clintonville my experience has been that child-less couples will be more common than in Grandview or Bexley. Worthington has a neat suburban downtown but it is likely further from downtown Columbus than you would like if you are not finding something suitable in Cincinnati (think a less expensive Mariemont).

In the event you get persuaded into Dayton, Oakwood is a relatively walkable community with the best public schools in the area. The City has recently put in a nice little stretch of two-story store fronts, bars and restaurants on the main drag that is walkable from the bulk of the neighborhoods. I would draw corollaries between Oakwood and Bexley.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:45 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,243,321 times
Not sure on price, but it sounds like Grandview Hts here in Columbus would most meet your needs. Another great thing for you is it's very easily accessible to 670 which when you go west dumps you right onto 70 and makes an easy trip to Dayton for the wife's family.

No 2 cities are going to be exactly alike (except for newer Sun Belt cities) so of course Cincy is different than Pittsburgh.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
Where are you located currently in Cincinnati? In your age bracket with children I would think Hyde Park might provide what you are looking for. Certainly closer to Rookwood Commons or even Oakley near Rookwood might provide the walkability you are looking for and proximity to downtown. Another option is perhaps Mount Adams though the price tag is rather outlandish. O'Bryanville is another option with an entertainment strip reachable by foot from most of the surrounding area.
Northside near the cemetery is where we are in Cincinnati. To me, like most of the City, Hyde Park is overrated. Mt Adams I like but for a neighborhood perched just East of Downtown with great views of the Skyline its a little more secluded than you would think given its location. Of course I have that same opinion of Mt Washington (Pittsburgh not the far east side Cincinnati Mt Washington) but at least Mt Washington has the inclines to/from the Southside and Station Square. If Cincinnati had several good neighborhoods in one area like the East End of Pittsburgh does it would be great but its hard to find two side by side here let alone several. For instance if HP/Oakley and Mt Adams were all in one connected area with the Uptown Clifton CUF area it would be great. Or if somehow Avondale would ever become a worthwhile place to be it would then connect the liveliest section of the City with HP and Oakley through Avondale and the more or less ok inner ring suburb of Norwood. At any rate I certainly dont want to offend Nati natives or debate the merits of this town Ive been here 5 years its just not fitting the way I had hoped. Not that I ever truly believed it would but I gave it a much longer chance than I ever thought I would. Newport on the Levee, The Purple People Bridge, The Riverfront, Fountain Square, Music Hall are all places I will miss but everyday life in this town I will happily put in my rearview.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Not sure on price, but it sounds like Grandview Hts here in Columbus would most meet your needs. Another great thing for you is it's very easily accessible to 670 which when you go west dumps you right onto 70 and makes an easy trip to Dayton for the wife's family.
That is a good piece of info worth checking into. They actually live in Huber Heights which is right on I-70. Weve driven from Huber Heights to Columbus before its quite a simple trip. Actually a little more enjoyable than the relatively short trip up 75 from Cincinnati to Huber Heights.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:09 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
A relatively safe, walkable urban neighborhood with 3BRs less than $1000/mo? That's some tough criteria.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:32 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
A relatively safe, walkable urban neighborhood with 3BRs less than $1000/mo? That's some tough criteria.
Yes, especially in anything urban. The demand has pushed up prices. Referencing Grandview... great inner suburb with great schools... but ridiculously difficult to buy into. Houses were selling in 2 weeks on average in some recent months. Some new single-family homes will be built around Grandview Yard, but I'm not sure of the time frame and there's no way they'll be inexpensive.

Another area to check out may be Old North Columbus. It's the area between Clintonville and Campus. Pretty quiet and probably much more reasonably priced. Still Columbus Schools, though, if that's a concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus