Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 03:13 PM

4 posts, read 5,502 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,
I moved to Columbus last year and am looking to move closer to downtown. I live up near Dublin right now off of Bethel road, but I want to be in a more urban area and closer to my job (which just moved downtown).

Right now I can't afford an apartment in the heart of downtown (maybe someday!!), so I put a deposit down on an apartment just east of downtown. I'm going to check it out when it becomes vacant in a couple days to decide for sure if I want it or not. It's a really cool looking English Tudor style building at 775 E Broad Street. Across the street from a Presbyterian church.

It's technically in Olde Town East, though judging by the boundaries just barely. It's probably just as close to the King-Lincoln area. I've heard that these are areas that have seen their hard times but are on their way to being revitalized.

My question, since i'll be right on Broad Street, is this a semi-safe/okay area to be living in?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 05:46 PM

688 posts, read 1,117,744 times
It is a relative question. Would I want my 18 y/o daughter residing there? No. On the other hand, perhaps 6'2" 22 y/o son would be in a better position in that area.

Depends on your circumstances. What you described is true. There is some general gentrification slowly moving into the eastside of Downtown after more immediate areas to downtown have priced many out of the market. I would suspect if you stay there long enough you can anticipate some property crime (car broken into). However if you remain alert, use common sense (don't be out at 3 AM talking on a cell phone unaware of your surroundings), and have a profile that doesn't scream "easy victim" (again, think demure female), then you should be OK with respect to your person.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:38 AM

90 posts, read 111,034 times
As far as the near east side goes, that location is very low-risk. The owners/property managers (F&W) are solid and have a good reputation. You're very close to the amenities on Parsons, the hotspot of 18th/Oak, the Lincoln Theater, and of course everything that downtown has to offer. (The same company also owns property along Town St on the downtown side of I-71 that you might find worthwhile to check out.)

Visit the area at night and during the day and assess your comfort level. See if you can picture yourself living in the neighborhood. Walk the surrounding streets like Oak, Parsons, and Franklin, grab a coffee at Upper Cup, and get some pizza at Yellow Brick or a beer at the Tavern. The restored historic homes are gorgeous and the small businesses are very welcoming.

No area is risk-free, and you should always use common sense like @Zen_master suggests. With that said, IMO this is a solid location in OTE with not many downsides. Good luck in making your decision!

Old 03-30-2015, 10:54 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
The Near East Side like OTE is only going to get better with time, so consider that it will be at its worst whenever you move there, and can anticipate improvement from that moment on.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:58 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,243,321 times
Broad Street is a very busy road so it won't be very quiet except for late at night...otherwise I think you should fairly safe there as long as you follow common sense

Old 03-30-2015, 09:13 PM

Hey guys. Thank you for all your responses!

I'll hopefully be able to check out the apartment tomorrow or Wednesday and make a decision then. I really want to like it, so im hoping for the best.

CaptainClipper, i'm glad you mentioned FW Properties. As far as apartment places go, they seem to be pretty decent given the ratings i've found online (considering that most places have dreadful ratings).

I'm actually in a show that will be going up at the Lincoln Theatre next month. Theater is a hobby outside of work, so it's very cool that that particular theater is so close by.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:31 PM

Just as a little update, I saw the apartment today and loved it! I'll take my chances in this neighborhood!

Old 03-31-2015, 04:42 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,429,710 times
I had friends who lived just a couple blocks east of Parsons on Franklin before Oak had anything else aside from the intersection at Parsons and I lived just a block off of Parsons on Town at the very edge of Downtown. We had no problems, but a neighbor of theirs took a shortcut through an alley one night and was held up at knifepoint: like any other urban neighborhood don't get too comfortable and throw caution to the wind.

The thing I'd worry most about is crossing Broad and not getting run over. The city has been talking for at least over a decade about calming the street, but they'd rather placate suburbanites shaving a minute off of their commute so it'll be a good while before talk turns into action.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:12 PM

Hey jadejovon,
That's so cool to hear that you lived there! I'll be moving in a week from Saturday! I can't wait. I literally got tears in my eyes when I first saw it. It's one of the front apartments on the third floor and has a corner with bigger windows and even a partial view of the city. It has so much charm compared to where I'm living now, a cookie cutter apartment in the suburbs. I'm super excited and even more so to hear you had a great experience there.
Cheers!
Dan

Old 04-07-2015, 07:58 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,429,710 times
Be sure to check out Carabar for daily food specials (vegan options available), $3 (small) pitchers of PBR and loud music. Upper Cup makes a solid latte, and if you go to AWOL they pour heavy and you'll get free compliments. Actually, I suggest checking out just about every spot on Parsons and Oak that catches your attention. Main St down a bit south might have a spot or two worth going to, but there's more on a short stretch of Long between the highway and 17th. And German Village is around the corner too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus