Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2015, 12:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,372 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I did read several pages of the threads but couldn't find one that resonated with my story.

Some quick backstory. I'm from a small conservative town in NW Ohio. I'm a 32 year old male who just came out last year. I was in Columbus for Pride this year and fell in love with the town. I have a few friends in Columbus and have heard for years how nice of a city it is.
I recently lost my job indirectly due to being gay, long story, and I've been feeling like a big life change is needed. I've heard and read about how gay friendly Columbus is, and frankly I think my odds of finding a partner are greater there than where I am now.
Chicago has always been my favorite city I've visited, and it instilled a desire to live in a big city. Chicago is way too expensive for me, though.

Ok. So. Here is my issue:

Based on past salary and and knowing my debt, I'd like to find an apartment under $500. But I want to be as close to downtown as possible to be in the middle of all the fun and nightlife and activities. What neighborhoods or complexes should I be looking at? I know that one of the suburbs would probably be cheaper. I don't mind a 10-15 min drive to get to all the action. Would one of the suburbs or outlying neighborhoods be better?
For some reason in my mind I have this picture of me being able to walk to local markets and restaurants and other fun activities like you would in a big city. Is that just not possible within my budget? (I have considered a roommate, but I'm not sure I want to go that route. Seems risky.)
Is getting around Columbus problematic enough that I should wait to see where I get a job before I consider where to move?

Thanks so much. My house is currently on the market now. As soon as she sells I'm gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 07:44 PM

35 posts, read 41,222 times
Short North is very gay friendly it's located in Victorian Village through Weinland Park. However the rent is very expensive if you do not mind finding a roommate (or two) to live with you may be able to get place together for $1000-1500 a month. At those area you can walk to local markets like North Market as well as the Arena District. It is few miles from Downtown Columbus.

Another gay friendly area would be German Village located just south of downtown. Again housing is a bit expensive.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:31 AM

22 posts, read 43,204 times
You could also look in the Merion Village/Shumaker Place areas. It isn't as nice as German village, but close to all the action, and still pleasant neighborhoods.

I'd also suggest looking at Weinland Park. It used to be pretty dangerous but has made a big comeback. It's just north of Italian Village(short north) and much cheaper. Me and two friends rent half of a duplex for $700 total. It's real nice.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:34 AM

801 posts, read 2,566,721 times
Columbus has a very high apartment occupancy rate, so landlords have taken advantage of that and prices have shifted upward in a major way. I don't think you're going to be able to rent something for $500 on your own.

For $700 yes you definitely can (within 15-20 minutes of OSU/downtown), and maybe $600. If price is the major factor, be open to considering any area, but be careful, you may want to check out the CPD crime maps and make sure you're not moving into a block where there are a lot of problems. If it's an apartment complex. check the ratings and reviews... you don't want surprises.

It's not hard to get around Columbus.

I can see why you want to get out of Northwest Ohio.... but truthfully Bowling Green and Toledo are fairly GLBT supportive for small midwestern cities. Dayton has only a handful of gay bars but has several GLBT organizations. BG, Toledo, and Dayton would be more affordable if for some reason you decide to look at other cities than Columbus.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:03 PM

4 posts, read 4,276 times
Olde Towne East might be in your budget. Try looking through F&W Properties. They have some units in the Olde Towne East area (which is in walking distance of downtown, easy to catch the CBUS up to the Short North from there).

Old 08-16-2015, 04:47 AM

2 posts, read 1,876 times
Default $607 rent

I live in the Hilliard/Galloway area which is about 15-20 mins from Columbus. Husband and I have a one bedroom apartment in Citation Club (owned by Brookview). Our rent is $607 plus automatic $30/month for water (it's a flat fee), so we pay them $637. I really like this neighborhood - never have any issues with crime. I've also lived in Wexford Lakes and Glenchester Lakes, both around that area, which were comparably priced.

I don't know of anything that low except for studio apartments. If that's your budget, you might be better with a roommate and a two bedroom.

Good luck!

Old 08-16-2015, 04:33 PM

31 posts, read 34,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joziejane View Post
I don't know of anything that low except for studio apartments. If that's your budget, you might be better with a roommate and a two bedroom.
The only thing I recall in that range would be some apartments around the OSU campus area, typically just east (or possibly south) of it. Not the nicest area though.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floater View Post
The only thing I recall in that range would be some apartments around the OSU campus area, typically just east (or possibly south) of it. Not the nicest area though.
Even that area's rents have gone up quite a lot.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:37 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,234,050 times
Clintonville, maybe on or near Weber. You may have to really hunt but you might find a small rental in that area? Maybe?

Old 09-02-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Clintonville, maybe on or near Weber. You may have to really hunt but you might find a small rental in that area? Maybe?
When I looked a few years ago, there was a small rental in that area... its a crowded, not really updated, urban feel area on the west side of High street. It's solidly Clintonville as far as the feel of it, but I think it is the more absentee landlord or... well, I don't want to say trashy, but it looks trashy.

It was a 1-bedroom apartment in an owner-occupied 4-unit for $590. Good location overall, but it was a maze to find the building and it was not a well kept block. The apartment needed a lot of TLC. It had too many turnoffs for me overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
View detailed profiles of: