Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,832 times

Advertisements

I am a single mom with 5 girls. I am currently a student at a local university in my ohio town. Because the area I am in is so small I am finding it very difficult to find a nursing program that I can finish the clinical portion of my studies at. The ones in my area have a waiting list of 1 to 2 years for me to finish my studies. I have stated looking at some schools in the Columbus area and have found several. My problem is that I need some sort of subsidized housing that would base my rent on my income. I know that there are some income based housing that have decent neighborhoods and schools, but where are they in Columbus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 10:10 PM

62 posts, read 297,154 times
Go on the HUD website and search by city and state and they have different sections for you to search by your specific criteria. My friend told me their section 8 housing list is closed right now though.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:01 AM

21 posts, read 63,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainece View Post
I am a single mom with 5 girls. I am currently a student at a local university in my ohio town. Because the area I am in is so small I am finding it very difficult to find a nursing program that I can finish the clinical portion of my studies at. The ones in my area have a waiting list of 1 to 2 years for me to finish my studies. I have stated looking at some schools in the Columbus area and have found several. My problem is that I need some sort of subsidized housing that would base my rent on my income. I know that there are some income based housing that have decent neighborhoods and schools, but where are they in Columbus?
I have got to know how you have 5 children and can afford the time and money to go to school!!!???

Old 03-18-2008, 03:59 PM

245 posts, read 1,273,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wutsup View Post
I have got to know how you have 5 children and can afford the time and money to go to school!!!???
however she's doing it GOOD FOR HER. It's a lot more than most people can say for themselves. And talk about a good career to go into for someone supporting 5 kids.

Have you considered Dayton ??? Dayton's way cheaper than Columbus, and Wright State, Kettering College, and GASP! Rets Tech Center all have nursing programs (I would not normally suggest RETS Tech Center for anything BUT nursing is one of those professions where it really doesn't matter where you go to school).

Old 05-12-2008, 11:53 AM

77 posts, read 353,918 times
Please keep in mind that nursing school is very demanding! I know plenty of people that are able to juggle kids, work and school but I think it would be really hard by yourself. Do you have any kind of support system in or near Columbus? Good luck to you!

Old 05-13-2008, 01:45 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
Is that really any of your concern?

What does that have to do with anything? I wish there were more like her. She's not making any excuses, she's doing things that single childress adults are not willing to do!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wutsup View Post

Old 05-13-2008, 01:46 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
My sister did it and many others have!!! She'll be just fine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley111 View Post
Please keep in mind that nursing school is very demanding! I know plenty of people that are able to juggle kids, work and school but I think it would be really hard by yourself. Do you have any kind of support system in or near Columbus? Good luck to you!

Old 05-13-2008, 04:57 PM

77 posts, read 353,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
My sister did it and many others have!!! She'll be just fine!!
That is why I put I know plenty of people who have done it.
I am just saying that a good support system is helpful when you have clinicals several nights a week, class, lab, papers and studying for exams.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:56 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,673,056 times
About schools,
you can go the columbus city schools website and see which schools are ranked better. Also, the city school district has an open enrollement policy, but you need to apply soon so that your child may attend one of the better schools.

Right now I would recommend the far east side. Mainly because the near east side has subsidized housing but pretty bad local schools. When you get into far east columbus you have some affordable housing but better columbus schools (though they are mainly 90 percent african american, they are ranked pretty well.)

Old 05-27-2008, 01:06 PM

12 posts, read 36,978 times
If you can find HUD housing outside of Columbus schools I would do that! I believe there is some in Westerville school district and Gahanna school district. Do your best to stay out of Columbus schools. If you have to be in Columbus schools then you can follow the advice of other posters but I bet you can find something in another district. Any burb school is better than Columbus schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus