Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2018, 02:55 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Indonesia is one of the most populated countries on earth. Quick, anyone, without Googling, name some well known amenities in Indonesia that actually draw people there.
Bali. It was in the news this week for banning bikinis and other skimpy, disrespectful clothing from areas near its famous temples.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...-hindu-temples
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 07:26 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
You're (unwittingly) helping his argument-by dragging out vague statistics as he talks about actual amenities. When it comes to "the three C's", every Columbus argument for inclusion begins and ends with growth stats. Once the discussion shifts outside of numbers on a page, it becomes hard to even argue that Columbus is even close to being a peer of Cleveland or Cincinnati.

Indonesia is one of the most populated countries on earth. Quick, anyone, without Googling, name some well known amenities in Indonesia that actually draw people there.
One thing I've learned by talking to normal people is that almost nobody knows exactly how large the city they live in actually is. Most people have never heard of MSA.

I encourage people to try this. Ask people you meet how many people live in the city they grew up in. Then later check the stat. I'd say 7/10 times the answers are pretty different.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:22 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Quote:
You're (unwittingly) helping his argument-by dragging out vague statistics as he talks about actual amenities. When it comes to "the three C's", every Columbus argument for inclusion begins and ends with growth stats. Once the discussion shifts outside of numbers on a page, it becomes hard to even argue that Columbus is even close to being a peer of Cleveland or Cincinnati.

So quick question... why aren’t you living in Cleveland? Why is it that so many people singing its praises live elsewhere? I don’t think it’s a matter of growth for Columbus. People have long been choosing to leave Cleveland. For whatever reason, all its supposed pros are not outweighing its cons for more people. Until that changes, all this talk is just empty rhetoric, because even you won’t live there.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
So quick question... why aren’t you living in Cleveland? Why is it that so many people singing its praises live elsewhere? I don’t think it’s a matter of growth for Columbus. People have long been choosing to leave Cleveland. For whatever reason, all its supposed pros are not outweighing its cons for more people. Until that changes, all this talk is just empty rhetoric, because even you won’t live there.
I suppose this means we can ignore everything you've ever said about Columbus then?

Old 09-27-2018, 06:59 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Quote:
Not living somewhere does not equal "won't live there." The fact that I don't have a house in Malibu doesn't mean I "won't live there."

Old 09-27-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Not living somewhere does not equal "won't live there." The fact that I don't have a house in Malibu doesn't mean I "won't live there."
Right that is pretty awful logic when you think about it for... half a second.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I suppose this means we can ignore everything you've ever said about Columbus then?
Why? I didn’t leave because I hated the city, had economic issues or because I wasn’t happy there. I’m still actively involved with the city as well, both with my own site and soon I’ll be working with 2 other companies there. My absence has pretty much nothing to do with how I felt about Columbus or any real or perceived problems with it, and eventually I’ll go back. Sorry, but it just doesn’t apply. Can you honestly say that most people who leave Cleveland aren’t largely leaving for those reasons, though? I don’t think you can. And this attempt at whataboutism basically counts as a non-answer.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
True, but that doesn’t refute my point. Based on surveys, we know most people move from place to place for economic and quality of life reasons. You might like Cleveland, but you’re in California for a reason, same as Jimmy’s in Boston- and the same reason Cleveland continues to lose more people than it takes in. For all the things you say are good about it, somewhere else just had better. That’s the dynamic so many of the boosters refuse to acknowledge. Whether Columbus is objectively better doesn’t even matter so long as people believe it is. And a lot more of them than not absolutely do. Calling them fools while spending your days in California rings pretty hollow to me.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Right that is pretty awful logic when you think about it for... half a second.
Nope. If Cleveland’s biggest fans won’t put their money where their mouths are, they shouldn’t be critical of those who might like Columbus better.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Why? I didn’t leave because I hated the city, had economic issues or because I wasn’t happy there. I’m still actively involved with the city as well, both with my own site and soon I’ll be working with 2 other companies there. My absence has pretty much nothing to do with how I felt about Columbus or any real or perceived problems with it, and eventually I’ll go back. Sorry, but it just doesn’t apply. Can you honestly say that most people who leave Cleveland aren’t largely leaving for those reasons, though? I don’t think you can. And this attempt at whataboutism basically counts as a non-answer.
Lol the irony is amazing. Thanks for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus