Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2020, 01:40 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,524,562 times

Advertisements

When you login to most sites, there is a checkbox called "Remember Me" or "Save Online ID" or "Save Username." If you check this, you don't have to relogin everytime you go to that site. However, if you logout of that site, you will be asked for the name and password again later.

Also, you can save passwords for sites in the browser (in Chrome it asks you if you want to save the password, the first time you login).

I just want to clarify, when you check "Remember Me" it remembers both your login name and password, is that right? And when the browser saves a password, it saves both the login name and password?

It gets tricky here: what's the diff between checking and not checking "Remember Me" if your browser is going to save the password?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2020, 07:37 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,825,278 times
For the website, you're giving it permission to save your name and password in cookies on your computer. Hopefully encrypted and not plain text. That means the next time you visit that web address, the site will automatically ask your browser to look for cookies, find them, and get the info.

For the browser, the information is saved, by the browser, in the browser files on your drive. What is saved is the web address, your user name and PW. So when that browser visits that address again, I knows to pre-fill in your name & PW. Most browsers (if not all the latest ones), can do this. You can also manually view, edit and delete that information within the browser.

Both save the info on your local drive, so it's questionable if access to the computer isn't secure. IE: do NOT do either of the above on a PC that's not yours, AND where only you can get to it.

The big difference, that I can tell, is that not all websites provide this, but the browsers can do it easier (and probably a bit more secure) as a part of their prefill function. But BOTH should ask first, so to answer your question, the difference is, "no difference" as long as you gave both permission.
If you have a very secure computer, then you could use the browser, as it offers the option of "do it now and from now on", and then you don't have to say "yes" again.

Old 01-18-2020, 01:05 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,524,562 times
Thank you, Ed!

Old 01-21-2020, 03:35 PM

17,573 posts, read 15,237,377 times
Most sites, the cookie is set to expire after a set amount of time. This site, for example, I believe that if you don't visit for 7 to 10 days, you must login again, because the cookie has expired.

Old 01-21-2020, 03:50 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
When you login to most sites, there is a checkbox called "Remember Me" or "Save Online ID" or "Save Username." If you check this, you don't have to relogin everytime you go to that site. However, if you logout of that site, you will be asked for the name and password again later.

Also, you can save passwords for sites in the browser (in Chrome it asks you if you want to save the password, the first time you login).

I just want to clarify, when you check "Remember Me" it remembers both your login name and password, is that right? And when the browser saves a password, it saves both the login name and password?

It gets tricky here: what's the diff between checking and not checking "Remember Me" if your browser is going to save the password?
You seem to have already noted the difference. Logging out of a site you used with, "remember me" means that the next time you log in, you have to re-type is name and password. With the browser version, you don't have to re-type it, but you will have to click to log in again. At least on my Firefox, the name and password fields will be prefilled and all I have to do is click login. With "remember me" it will log in without me doing anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers