Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2011, 08:23 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,246 times

Advertisements

Alright, before I completely redo the entire home network I have setup, I have a quick question regarding some of the actual hardware.

I have a Comcast modem, Linksys Wireless-G router, 8-port and 5-port switches, and enough cable to to cross the Pacific.

I'm preparing to order a third switch, my question is--do I need it?

The router is currently sitting next to the modem, but it's in the basement and everyone is complaining about their wireless signal. It's always been pretty poor in the basement. Even a mere 15 feet from the router the next floor up, I get (almost) no signal. So, I figure move it to the first story, get the signal some unimpeded access to where it's needed most.

My crappy drawing of my network. I'm wondering if I can connect the switches together like that. They are really cheap 5-port or 8-port switches. They cost me less than $20 a piece.

Alternatively, I have another question. Is it possible to connect modem directly to switch 2, and bypass Router all together? Will the router still correctly assign IP address to all devices connected to Switch 2 even though it's going through the switch before it hits the modem? I can draw that too if need be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 08:32 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
You can connect 10/100 switches like that. Having home runs back to a single switch is preferred, but that'll work.

Your modem needs a direct connection to the WAN port of the router. Your PCs need to get their IP addresses from the DHCP server on the LAN side of the router. If you connected the cable modem to switch 2, a PC could get a public IP address from Comcast (getting it online) and the rest would get private IP addresses from the router, but the router wouldn't have an Internet connection.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:36 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
You can connect 10/100 switches like that. Having home runs back to a single switch is preferred, but that'll work.

Your modem needs a direct connection to the WAN port of the router. Your PCs need to get their IP addresses from the DHCP server on the LAN side of the router. If you connected the cable modem to switch 2, a PC could get a public IP address from Comcast (getting it online) and the rest would get private IP addresses from the router, but the router wouldn't have an Internet connection.
I suspected everything you say, but before I started ripping open the floors and walls to run cables (well, just drilling holes really), I'd figured I would get a second opinion. Switch 2 is actually a Gigabit switch, as is the router, but nothing I have is going to be touching that speed anyway. Might as well have the bandwidth available for the future. The router is going in a semi-public place, and I want to cut down on the number of cables visible. Running them all through a single switch is the cleanest way to do it, if not the most efficient.

As for the modem, that is stuck in the basement.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:53 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Another option might be to add an additional wireless access point upstairs and leave the existing router in the basement with the cable modem.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:21 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
Really, you've got enough going on there to where you should probably just buy 1 24 or 48 port gigswitch and wire up your house properly. And your WAP should be high, not low. THere's a reason why businesses always have their WAP's on the ceilings or on a ledge above eye level.

As to your question about chucking the router entirely - absolutely, so long as you get a layer 3 switch. Personally, I'm a fan of the Cisco 3750, and that's one of the devices I use in my home. I also use Aironet 1250's for my WAP's. Overkill, but I get plenty of range and never have to worry about electromagnetic interference.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:46 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post

This pretty much covers it. You need your router for the reasons EscapeCalifornia mentioned. There are alternatives, but you would have to get new hardware or software solutions that are overkill for your home usage (based on your diagram).

I think you should consider running cables from a single switch (or multiple switches next to eachother, so you can upgrade to a single switch at a later time). In the future, you might need to go above the bandwidth limitations of your proposed setup.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:16 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
^^ what they said. If you can run 1 cable, you can run more. So your best bet is to run the cables so they all terminate into a single location (or as few locations as possible).

And I'm guessing your router (with NAT) is also your firewall and DHCP server - you definitely want to put that inline behind your cable modem.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:43 PM

534 posts, read 2,407,554 times
lol. Please tell the homeowner what the cisco 3750 sells for.

And while you can do routing on a capable switch yes, thats not what you want. Just leave the little cheapie router to do its job. If you want to move its location upstairs, just run the appropriate wire so the modem still has a run straight to it, if you cant move the modem. What someone else recommended by adding another access point, is your best bet. Just leave everything as it is, and add another access point closer in the house to where your clients are. Just needs to be an access point, not a router/wireless access point, tho some will do both roles. I dont think you need another switch but it depends on the port requirements, and how many ports you want in what location. IE, if you want 4 ports on the second story of your house, a soho switch may make more sense than running 4 runs upstairs. Depends of coure if you are doing them yourself (which you are) or paying someone to do them for you, amount of wire you want to deal with, etc. Having less equipment, in one location, is preferable, to me. But the wifi just may have to be upstairs.

Last edited by gbugmiami; 02-10-2011 at 09:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers