Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 03:00 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,229,706 times

Advertisements

I need to find an inexpensive program that will convert my old outlook mail from an .ost file into a readable file. The computer guy converted it and now tells me that I need to buy software to open it as a .pst file. He's not trying to sell me the software, I think that he just screwed up when he was cleaning up my computer that was formerly networked- turning it into a stand alone. It is critical that I have the ability to view and print these e-mails and I told him how important it was when I brought it in to him.

It's just one file and the software that I found online is $200. Are there less expensive alternatives?

Old 12-09-2009, 03:34 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,476,314 times
Don't you have Outlook already? .ost and .pst files are both used by Outlook but for different purposes. Data from an .ost file can be dragged or exported to a .pst file in Outlook so you have a copy independent of the Exchange server.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:37 PM

Yes, I had them set up my website addresses to go to Outlook. So I can just drag the .ost to the Outlook program file? Hmm.... stupid me- I will back it up on a thumb drive and try it. I've been terrified of losing the info.

I'll report back- thanks!

UPDATE: It just keeps acting like it is moving the file, making that running noise, but says "not responding"- when I try to stop it, I get the message that my system could become unstable if I end the program now.

Last edited by Magnolia Bloom; 12-09-2009 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: Reporting back

Old 12-10-2009, 08:10 AM

718 posts, read 1,151,101 times
What version of Outlook did your .ost files come from? This utility (ost2pst.exe) works with outllook 2000 and xp ost files. How to Convert OST to PST format for outlook | Windows Reference

This might be of interest to you too: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/ha010563001033.aspx (broken link)

For .ost files created in Outlook 2003, I think you'll have to ante up the money for software such as this: Ost 2 pst converter. Convert ost 2 pst. Switch ost to pst.. You can download the demo version of this to test if it works before you buy the full version.

I don't have first-hand experience on these. Rather, I watched my friend convert his .ost files. It worked fine for him. One other thing to consider is the size of your .ost files. I've read some reviews that mention some of the converter software choking on .ost files over 1 gig in size.

This is one of the reasons I avoid using MS Outlook when I can. Or if I can't avoid using MS Outlook, I save all my emails to text files at the end of every day.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:17 AM

Fastninja-

It was Vista. Thank you for the links- I will check them out. The file is quite large, so I may just need to pay the $. Almost one week's worth of unemployment

Old 12-10-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Fastninja-

It was Vista. Thank you for the links- I will check them out. The file is quite large, so I may just need to pay the $. Almost one week's worth of unemployment
What version of MS Outlook or MS Office was in Vista? This might narrow down the search for a more relevant solution.

For a better understanding of these file types, here the description from MS:

Personal Folders file (.pst) (Personal Folders file (.pst): Data file that stores your messages and other items on your computer. You can assign a .pst file to be the default delivery location for e-mail messages. You can use a .pst to organize and back up items for safekeeping.)

Offline Folder file (.ost) (Offline Folder file: The file on your hard disk that contains offline folders. The offline folder file has an .ost extension. You can create it automatically when you set up Outlook or when you first make a folder available offline.)

Old 12-10-2009, 09:42 AM

269 posts, read 911,533 times
You can't drag an ost to Outlook and have it work you need to set it into the default location. Most likely:
%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Rename the existing OST in that folder to BAK and then copy your OST in question. Make sure it has the same name as the one you renamed (except the bak of course). Then open outlook. Make sure you keep a copy of the OST in the original location to make sure you don't lose it.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:21 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,742,521 times
Found this: $49 US

ostconversion.com | welcome

There testimonials you can read.

I also found this:

If you can open the OST file in off-line mode, you can then create a PST and simply copy the contents of the OST over to the PST. The trick here is opening the OST at all since it is typically tied to a specific profile or Exchange Server account settings. If that account is not available, then you may not be able to open the OST.

on this page. http://ask-leo.com/how_can_i_convert..._pst_file.html

Old 12-10-2009, 10:45 AM

what they said ... and before you follow the link below to MS, make sure you back up your data to an external drive.

there's some good information in this link: Working with network files when you are offline

look in the "To enable the use of offline files" ... among others ...

Quote:

If the offline files option is disabled, you'll need to enable it if you want to work with offline files from a network folder.
  1. Open Offline Files by clicking the Start button . In the search box, type offline files, and then, in the list of results, click Manage offline files.
  2. On the General tab, click Enable offline files.
    You'll need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:57 AM

You all are life savers- I am off to get a monster hard drive backup and am going to make this happen tonight when my 16 YO comes home and can hold my hand

Tek & Fastninja- it will be in the 40s here tonight.... Just sayin......so you don't feel so bad in your chilly climes!

Thank you to everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers