Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 12:03 AM

3,947 posts, read 2,571,125 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I tried to find info here, searched but only found something that was similar but not what my problem is. I have an HP laptop computer that gave me the above message: battery should be replaced and there was a red X. I say was because the warning has come and gone two times.

Will my computer be damaged if the battery completely goes?

Is it advisable to run the laptop without the battery when plugged into the AC? I just read in another thread that people do this?

I have to add that it actually turned off twice when unplugged. Both times I had overloaded the computer with pages I wanted to read later. One time it was down to 12%.

Another question- would it help to put my battery in the freezer for a day? I want to save money right now. I don't know if I can really afford to buy it right now!

For more background... my HP laptop is a year and 4 months old....

It gave me this message about three weeks ago. After charging up, never taken off the AC, the message left. Last week the message was back. It is now gone again. The only thing I did was take it off the AC for a short while (I usually have it charged up, AC plugged in all the time) and then, recharged. I read this was good for it but I have not been doing that regularly before this.

Also, in another thread someone said they ran their computer on the AC without the battery. Is this okay, really? I mean, my computer was plugged in when the battery gave me the message. How can you run a computer without the battery on AC?

Thanks,
Wild Flower
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 05:50 AM

3,464 posts, read 4,835,336 times
You can run it without the battery. It has a switching power supply and runs off the charger when it is connected or the battery when it is not connected. If you have ever noticed, there are probably icons in the trey that show when it is using the battery or power supply.

It sounds like you may be another one that is guilty of running your laptop most of the time on the battery and randomly charging it and sometimes leaving it running on battery until it is completely dead. The battery on laptops really should only be used when you are away from a power source and can't use the power supply. Constantly cycling the battery and randomly charging it will drastically shorten its lifespan.

If the battery is completely bad and you are getting the warning, I would leave the battery out to prevent the charger from constantly attempting to charge it which could lead to overheating the power supply.

You can find new batteries on ebay but don't buy the super cheap Chinese batteries. The cheap ones are low quality and won't last long.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:09 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
How can you run a computer without the battery on AC?
That's the way a laptop works, you can run it on any combination of battery/AC.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:28 PM

3,947 posts, read 2,571,125 times
Thank you both for your reply. I really had not heard you can run the laptop on AC only.

No, I do not run it on the battery and let it discharge all the time. I have it plugged in almost all the time. I have always left the battery in when it was connected to the power but I have heavily used this laptop. The warning has come twice and is now gone.

I don't know if it is completely bad as it does hold a charge. When I am away from any plug-in, it still takes about the same amount of time to discharge. I may be wrong in that assumption, I'll check this out and see.

Since I can hardly afford a new battery, should I just keep it plugged in and take out the battery?

If the battery is bad, bad and goes completely out- will this hurt my computer? Say, it turns off unexpectedly while using it?

Or would this not happen when plugged in?

Old 04-19-2011, 04:40 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Thanks....I too have a HP laptop with battery issues, but I do just what you said not to do...use the battery a lot....so I will change my ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
You can run it without the battery. It has a switching power supply and runs off the charger when it is connected or the battery when it is not connected. If you have ever noticed, there are probably icons in the trey that show when it is using the battery or power supply.

It sounds like you may be another one that is guilty of running your laptop most of the time on the battery and randomly charging it and sometimes leaving it running on battery until it is completely dead. The battery on laptops really should only be used when you are away from a power source and can't use the power supply. Constantly cycling the battery and randomly charging it will drastically shorten its lifespan.

If the battery is completely bad and you are getting the warning, I would leave the battery out to prevent the charger from constantly attempting to charge it which could lead to overheating the power supply.

You can find new batteries on ebay but don't buy the super cheap Chinese batteries. The cheap ones are low quality and won't last long.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:45 PM

2 posts, read 8,202 times
hi may sons hp laptop battery has die is it safe to run on ac till we get a new one we are world of war tanks gamers thank you jhs

Old 05-12-2014, 08:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Typical battery these days last 1K charges if maintained. But the no battery even the same brand are the equal really. That is why for some uses they are tested/selected out of a lot of batteries for medical and other uses.depend on type of cells as to how best to maintain them.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:33 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs123 View Post
hi may sons hp laptop battery has die is it safe to run on ac till we get a new one we are world of war tanks gamers thank you jhs

uhhhh, yes. Just stop using the Japanese tanks -- they're horrible.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:31 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs123 View Post
One post on the subject is more than enough, posting to multiple threads (crossposting) is a violation of the TOS.

You should also start your own threads rather than posting in someone elses, hijacking is frowned upon.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:36 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post

You should also start your own threads rather than posting in someone elses, hijacking is frowned upon.
fyi: Try creating a new thread. The s/w for this site tells you that threads already exist for this topic, so users end up asking similar questions in a thread that already existed. In both cases the poster revived 2+ year old threads to ask a simple question to the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers