Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 11:17 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,963,732 times

Advertisements

2 Computers 2 video cards

Video Card A works in both Computers A and B

Video Card B works only in Computer A

Compatiblity is not an issue because I have used them in both computers before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 11:46 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,481,945 times
Does Card B draw more power?

Old 04-23-2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Does Card B draw more power?
That was my original thought, I thought abotu switching out the PSU's but honestly I really doubt the other video card would draw more power, it has a much smaller heatsink and is also a less powerful card.

The weird thing is, Card B was always used on Computer B

It is quite random, they are old computers i built about 6 or 7 years ago.

Card A=GeForce4 Ti 4400
Card B=Radeon 9100

Old 04-23-2011, 10:10 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,749,572 times
Have you inspected the connections to make sure they are clean? Corrosion and dirt can really make troubleshooting difficult because most people overlook it.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:59 AM

8,342 posts, read 13,482,567 times
What exactly is "doesn't work" mean?
~ Do you even get to see the BIOS/POST screen with card B in computer B?
If yes, then it really isn't a hardware issue but a software (driver) issue.
Prior to removing either card, are you properly uninstalling it from the system?

If no, then what kind of a card it card B? AGP? PCI? Is card A the same kind or different? If they are indeed different, are the related settings in BIOS correct?

Old 04-25-2011, 10:28 AM

No, doesn't work means it doesnt function whatsoever, the monitor does not turn on. It is a hardware issue, not a software issue. It is just weird to me because I can't get the one video card running on the other motherboard.

Both are AGP, bios is set correctly.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:48 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,282,708 times
1. Hrmm. Clean, re-seat video card.

Pop out cmos battery/reset.

Try it out.

2. Perhaps the PSU is faulty?

Try another PSU.

Did you happen to over-clock recently? If the AGP bus speed or system bus speed is messed with (especially if they're linked), for whatever reason it'll do strange things.

Lastly, I know this is a bit condescending but make sure you're plugging the RGB cable in to the right card...I've plugged in the RGB to the onboard video and NOT the AGP/PCI card before on accident, wondering why nothing was being displayed...

Old 04-25-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
1. Hrmm. Clean, re-seat video card.

Pop out cmos battery/reset.

Try it out.

2. Perhaps the PSU is faulty?

Try another PSU.

Did you happen to over-clock recently? If the AGP bus speed or system bus speed is messed with (especially if they're linked), for whatever reason it'll do strange things.

Lastly, I know this is a bit condescending but make sure you're plugging the RGB cable in to the right card...I've plugged in the RGB to the onboard video and NOT the AGP/PCI card before on accident, wondering why nothing was being displayed...
I imagine we've all done that a time or two...

Old 04-26-2011, 11:07 PM

8,342 posts, read 13,482,567 times
Yes, it does sound like a hardware issue. If you are not getting any beeps and no output to monitor at all, then I have to agree with what harhar mentioned.

Also, if you indeed have an onboard video card, as I initially had the feeling, just as harhar mentioned make sure you are plugging the VGA cable to the add-in card but as a troubleshooting twist, plug the VGA cable to the onboard video port to see if you get display. If for some add reason you do, then boot up, check the Device Manager (remove the existing video adapter) shutdown, pull power cord out, remove add-in Video card then re-seat it, connect the VGA cable to the add-in card and turn on the PC. Also you might have to reset the BIOS settings by removing the CMOS battery but if that is indeed needed then that means the related BIOS settings were changed which goes back to a software issue.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:50 AM

If all the above is true why does the other video card work correctly in the same PC? Wouldn't the device manger problem affect both?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers