Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2011, 06:21 PM

3 posts, read 3,260 times

Advertisements

Aaargh! I updated to Mozilla 5, then found out that my Google toolbar isn't compatible with Mozilla 5. So, I tried one of the "fixes" for it on a site called geektips. They told me to do this:

Open new tab and type: about:config
Right-click anywhere and select New – Boolean
Enter the following values depending on the version of firefox you are using
extensions.checkCompatibility.5.0
Then change the value to False, Just click Ok when you done.

I did all of that, but I got called away from my laptop before I tried to use the Google toolbar again....so I don't know if the "fix" worked.

BUT, when I came back to my laptop, it will not let me sign on as the owner or administrator!! (which unfortunately have the same doggone password!!). It says the user id or password are incorrect. Did I change the password simply by changing that word to "false"???

I tried to change my computer back to 4 days ago (before the change listed above), but it won't let me because the blasted administrator account password changed, too. I don't want to reboot the computer because I don't want to loose the zillion bookmarks, etc. that are on there! (correct?)

I had a guest account, which is how I'm contacting this forum.

This is the first thing I tried to fix myself....I guess that's what I get for messing with it!! If you have an answer, please don't speak geek to me. You will have to lead me by my nose step by step through any solution.

Thanks in advance......
Connie

Last edited by hastingshavanese; 07-14-2011 at 06:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 09:55 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Is someone messing with your PC at work?

If I understand all that correctly the only change you made was to about:config, which only affects the browser, nothing else.

The inability to log in using your standard account should not affect the bookmarks, etc you have.

The lack of login makes no sense if that is the only change made to the system.

Restarting should not affect the bookmarks. You should back them up perhaps:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/...ng%20bookmarks

Save them to an external device like a usb drive.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 07-15-2011 at 10:04 AM..

Old 07-15-2011, 10:06 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Dumb questions?: When you login, is caps lock turned on? If you have a number pad on your laptop and there is a number in your password is the number pad turned off?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers