Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 05:37 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times

Advertisements

Apple iPod vs Apple MacBook Pro (either model, 11.6 or 13.3) for everyday use & general web surfing/streaming live sports/news video, etc.?

Can either be used for this? If so, would it just lose screen size (but also save me alot of cash) to just buy an iPod & -- forget getting a laptop, period?

I like the idea of a nice screen size (hence the 11.6 screen, at least, or the 13.3 -- as I can't afford anywhere near more cash out for a 15.6 Mac)but I really want -- quality over quantity -- in my next purchase of an item that I can use daily as a computer/laptop on the go. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 06:01 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
I think you mean an iPad not an iPod. Anyway, if you only need it for email and online media, the iPad is a great option. My mother has one and never opens her laptop anymore. If you have to do a lot or typing or use specialized applications like PhotoShop you need a regular laptop, but an iPad is fine for most people.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:23 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
The iPod has a really small screen... but it does fit in your pocket.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:38 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
If you have no problem reading small text go with the iPad..

Macbook Pro vs iPod????????

Old 08-25-2011, 09:11 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Macbook Pro vs iPod????????
iPod Touch, maybe, but even that would be hard to use for web surfing.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:12 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
While you can use either one for what you have mentioned, there is no comparison between a MacBook Pro and an iPad. The former is a computer with a large hard drive where you can have several applications that take a lot of hard drive space, something the iPad dos not have. Also, while the iPad costs from $400.00 to $600.00 or so, the base 13" MacBook Pro costs twice as much (around $1,100).

That said. maybe you should also look at the new "base" Macbook Air, since it costs around $900.00 and is still a computer. If you have room for a larger screen you can have on a table or something, then a new Mac Mini (from $600.00-$900.00). But you will have to buy a computer or TV screen for it

Old 08-28-2011, 06:26 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Yeah, will personally stick to a Mac Laptop until the IPad reaches the point where you can actually do something useful (like Photoshop, Illustrator, 3D modeling, serious word processing, video editing, spreadsheets, etc.). So I guess I'm basically holding out for a Touchscreen MacBook (yeah, I know... good luck with that one)!

Old 08-28-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Yeah, will personally stick to a Mac Laptop until the IPad reaches the point where you can actually do something useful (like Photoshop, Illustrator, 3D modeling, serious word processing, video editing, spreadsheets, etc.). So I guess I'm basically holding out for a Touchscreen MacBook (yeah, I know... good luck with that one)!
All depends on what you do. For example, if you are a flier (pilot) the iPad 2 can be used as a navigational aid if your aircraft does not have the right instruments. Also, if you use a computer to control the HVAC system/heating of your home, plus lighting, alarm systems, or just to control electronic windows or blinds, the iPad can be used for such.

But I don't think that the iPad nor any other tablet on the market is ready to replace a computer that's setup for photo or video editing. Computers use applications that take a huge amount of hard drive space. But who knows, one of these days somebody will figure that such applications can be stored in an external hard drive, and ready to be launched from a small app in the iPad?

Old 08-29-2011, 07:08 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
All depends on what you do. For example, if you are a flier (pilot) the iPad 2 can be used as a navigational aid if your aircraft does not have the right instruments. Also, if you use a computer to control the HVAC system/heating of your home, plus lighting, alarm systems, or just to control electronic windows or blinds, the iPad can be used for such.

But I don't think that the iPad nor any other tablet on the market is ready to replace a computer that's setup for photo or video editing. Computers use applications that take a huge amount of hard drive space. But who knows, one of these days somebody will figure that such applications can be stored in an external hard drive, and ready to be launched from a small app in the iPad?
Good point, though the way flash drive capacities are growing, they could eventually eclipse hard drives, at least enough to compete in laptops. While "cloud computing" does seem perfect for tablets, assuming you always have a hi-speed connection. But am probably too "old school" for that, as I prefer "owning" my data! And while tablets and smartphones are great for stuff like "navigation" and finding the nearest restaurant, etc., the notion of increasingly sophisticated data "tracking" is still kinda "disturbing"!

Old 08-30-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Good point, though the way flash drive capacities are growing, they could eventually eclipse hard drives, at least enough to compete in laptops. While "cloud computing" does seem perfect for tablets, assuming you always have a hi-speed connection. But am probably too "old school" for that, as I prefer "owning" my data! And while tablets and smartphones are great for stuff like "navigation" and finding the nearest restaurant, etc., the notion of increasingly sophisticated data "tracking" is still kinda "disturbing"!
I agree with your views, too. I imagine that flash drives will replace a lot of the hard drives of today, except for the huge ones used for storing the largest amounts of data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers