Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2012, 05:34 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times

Advertisements

Are Radioshack's MicroController Kits Worth It?

Back in college I took a class in PC Data Acquisition and Control. Messed around with motor control using the Serial Port. I guess nowadays everything uses USB ports?

But are these RS kits worth it to get to practice / hack / learn on?
RadioShack.com

Or do you know of anything better that's used in industrial settings like in actual industrial automation / PC Data acquisition and control. - Actual stuff that machine design firms use also?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 06:49 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Messed around with motor control using the Serial Port. I guess nowadays everything uses USB ports?
No, not everything.

USB is good when you need the speed. The chips that control serial ports are "legacy" technology, and are rarely included in modern computers for that reason, and the fact that there just aren't a lot of consumers that need them.

But RS-232 is alive and well - especially in industrial and hobby applications. It's proven technology with rock solid reliability.

Just two days ago, I set up a fax server at our office, using an external modem connected to the serial port of an old PC...

As for the Radio Shack kits, I don't have an answer for you. I just wanted to chime in on serial ports.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:59 PM

Serial ports are ancient technology. I see a rare few PC motherboards made with serial ports. If I had to mess around with micro-controllers I'll go with modern USB technology.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:25 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
The Arduino is a great device.

It's a nice wrapper and IDE around a solid C based controller. It's a great price (Get the UNO unless you really need the extra IO of the Mega), and it's backed by a really incredible community.

The entire thing is also open source (hardware, software, IDE, etc.). If the price of an assembled unit is too much, you can always grab the raw components and build one yourself.

There are a bunch of places to get them as well. Radio Shack is a bit late to the game, but the price is fair.

While it is USB, it's using a virtual serial port driver to make the connection, so programing against it (on the PC side) with almost any language is a breeze.

Arduino - HomePage Main Arduino web site, includes a huge amount of info.

Arduino Forum - Index Arduino forum

Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits Makes some great kits, and lots of tutorials.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:54 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times
It has been a while, but Omega had catalogs of the real stuff used. MEGA expensive unless you bought in bulk. One of the companies that used to make single lead dongles had a whole line of products along those lines. Agree that arduino and clones are the current hobbiest hot toys.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:37 AM

1 posts, read 3,656 times
Hello Jesses, I am agree your statement that Serial ports are ancient technology. I see a rare few PC motherboards made with serial ports. If I had to mess around with micro-controllers I'll go with modern USB technology. Nowadays, there are various networks technology available in the market. Zigbee, Xbee, Plc analyzer and more. XBee Cheat Sheet is one of the type of Networks technology. It is used in Linux for network communication.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:27 PM

I wonder if there is an industrial use USB microcontroller in use and what is it? How do you program on it too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers