Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2023, 09:05 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,568,656 times

Advertisements

I've been dealing with an intermittent problem on my laptop where web pages load very slowly or not at all. This happens with Chrome, Firefox and Edge so it's likely not a browser issue. I've restarted the modem, router and laptop numerous times.

Attached are today's info from Speedtest.net, Windows 10 WiFi status, and my ASUS RT-AX3000 router. All seem to show reasonable numbers, so it doesn't appear to be a connectivity issue.

The system is a Dell XPS-15 9510
Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11400H @ 2.70GHz 2.69 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)
Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎11/‎18/‎2021
OS build 19045.2673
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0
Killer WiFi 6 AX1650S 160 MHz wireless network adapter 201D2W

My only potential culprit at the moment is the Killer wifi card. I've read some less than favorable reviews about it. Unfortunately it's soldered to the motherboard so changing it out isn't an option.

You guys are pretty smart, so I'm hoping for some suggestions or advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Help me figure out slow wifi performance issue-speedtest.jpg   Help me figure out slow wifi performance issue-windows-wifi-status.jpg   Help me figure out slow wifi performance issue-router-connectivity.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2023, 12:32 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Based on what you wrote, it does sound like the problem might be with your adapter. Do the Speedtest.net results chive with your actual service?
The test results didn't look too bad so, I couldn't help but think the issue was likely to be software based.

If you are certain the issue is with the Wi-Fi adapter whether it is a faulty/outdated device driver for it or an incorrect network/adapter configuration, I'd advice the same thing I do when people are not able to connect to a wireless AP or even get the list of available networks to come up:

From Device Manager > Uninstall the component in question (no need to delete the related software/driver just yet). After you uninstall the wireless network adapter, simply restart your computer to check.

Next step would be the same but this time, you would delete the software/driver in use. Before doing that, I'd check to see if there is an update to the drivers. Even if not, have the latest one stored on your computer as you would want to install that instead of letting Windows install whatever it thinks is the best which may or may not be an older version.

Also, there is always the possibility of some kind of malware; I am assuming you checked on that already?
Download and install SimpleWall and then enable the filters and the settings so it starts with Windows.
Then restart your computer and see what is trying to connect without you opening anything up. There might be a handful of MS processes, mostly Edge Update type stuff but that should be it.
Then proceed to using the browser as before and see what happens. You tried bunch of different browsers but are any of them using any extensions (especially the same one)?
Are you using any 3rd party VPN software or extension? Disable it and check again.

Last but not least, you can buy a $15-$20 USB type Wireless dongle to see if your current wireless shat the bed.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 02-25-2023 at 12:43 PM..

Old 02-25-2023, 01:26 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Best guess is network settings in Windows, DNS or something to that effect.

You can run the network troubleshooter or try resetting network settings.

This page has different sections, some you can skip since you already tried the obvious.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...8-7f07eee84d2c

If it was the driver or the wifi card you would probably not get those numbers from speedtest.net. Still a chance though. I've seen strange things happen.

Old 02-25-2023, 02:48 PM

230 posts, read 189,866 times
Get one of these.
https://www.amazon.com/wifi-adapter-...s%2C115&sr=8-5

Install it and disable the other WIFI adapter

Old 02-25-2023, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Best guess is network settings in Windows, DNS or something to that effect.
It is like that old Network Admin joke: "I am not saying the culprit is DNS...but it is DNS"
Most everything with network connectivity used to boil down to it.

Some of the info contradicting but having seen some bizarre stuff myself, like an odd alphanumeric (hex based?) entry where it reads "Append these DNS suffixes (in the last window of the screenshot 1).
There was no malware on the machine but that setting was definitely having adverse effect on network.

DNS and Proxy settings were what I was thinking when I mentioned network configuration.

Jonah,

I'd definitely start with checking the DNS settings as mentioned (see screenshot 1).

Also, check the Proxy settings as well, check each browser but by default they all use system proxy settings.
Default Windows Proxy settings could be seen/modified via good old Internet Explorer settings:

START > RUN > inetcpl.cpl > OK > Connections (tab) > LAN Settings (see screenshot 2).
Attached Thumbnails
Help me figure out slow wifi performance issue-ncpa_cpl.jpg   Help me figure out slow wifi performance issue-internet-proxy-settings.jpg  

Old 02-25-2023, 06:02 PM

There's no ethernet port on this laptop so I don't have that network connection option shown in your screenshot 1.

Everything you show in screenshot 2 looks the same on mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Help me figure out slow wifi performance issue-screenshot-2023-02-25-195547.jpg  

Old 02-26-2023, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
There's no ethernet port on this laptop so I don't have that network connection option shown in your screenshot 1.

Everything you show in screenshot 2 looks the same on mine.
I was also going to mention Proxy settings but did not since it's not a common issue but yes it does affect some people. You should UNCHECK "Automatically Detect Settings". What you describe makes me think this is your issue.

As for the DNS settings, same thing applies as with wired ethernet, right click on the wifi adapter, properties, you should get the same dialog where you can check DNS. The same applies to any network adapter. Your router should give you the correct DNS settings. Those usually come from your ISP and your router. This should be automatic but you can try refreshing DNS settings anyway. You can also enter your own DNS numbers if you wish. There are many public DNS that would work.

Last edited by gguerra; 02-26-2023 at 11:55 AM..

Old 02-26-2023, 03:51 PM

I unchecked "Automatically detect settings" but it didn't seem to help. What's really annoying is that this only happens some of the time. There doesn't seem to be any pattern, like certain times of day.

Old 02-26-2023, 05:02 PM

Quote:
I unchecked "Automatically detect settings" but it didn't seem to help. What's really annoying is that this only happens some of the time. There doesn't seem to be any pattern, like certain times of day.
That usually doesn't have much of an impact. I was mainly having you check to confirm there was no entry in the "Proxy" section at the bottom. That was the key thing.

Now, as gguerra mentioned already, all adapters would have the same "properties" as the ones I posted merely as a visual guide.
Please, check to make sure there is no entry for DNS. Most everything should be a matching to the screenshots for the last 3 windows.

Again, the info you provided is a bit confusing because it is conflicted based on the SpeedTest.net result.

If you connection is not the culprit then it has to be something with a related setting.
On the software side, the browser(s) in question would be primary suspects too but based on Speedtest.net result that kinda goes out the window too.

Then I saw what you wrote in your last post; the bold part. Yes indeed, that is very annoying because it is hard to troubleshoot indirectly as we'd not be able to know when the problem will surface.
Because of that, we'd not be able to effectively diagnose the issue.
As the immediate user, you have to use your observation skills to narrow down the list of suspects based on whatever pattern you could find such as:
- What apps were running in the background?
- Which browser was in use?
- What site(s) you were visiting?
- The time of day?
- Any other device connecting to Internet, etc.?

Other than the above, you have to go thru the network settings we mentioned, then check for malware even though it is not likely to be the case.
Then next step would be trying another wireless adapter to see if you can replicate the issue or not.

Old 02-27-2023, 08:30 AM

Quote:
This makes me think it may not even be a problem on your own computer.

Maybe issues with your ISP, router or a combination which brings up another question, have you called your ISP on this?

Do you have a smartphone or some other device that uses wifi?

If so, next time you are having issues, try the other device. If it is a smartphone, try doing the same thing you are doing on your own computer, loading a web page from a browser, that type of thing. If it has similar issues, that may be the clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers