Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 06:59 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times

Advertisements

best buy is huge on the east coast. As far as them not having a good video game selection, they are pretty much the only store i know of that still stocks computer games without having to go online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 07:19 AM

4,212 posts, read 3,758,240 times
BO "BB is the place people go for showrooming now. They go there to put there hands on products and then they buy them online.

The fact that nobody buys physical music anymore has hurt them, too."

Kind of ironic that Best buy sells technology and technology will be what puts them out of business.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:36 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Yea and $50.00 to "configure" your brand new laptop. Really? ALl you do is turn it on and answer a few questions.
They once charged a friend of mine $70 to install a stick of RAM.
The Geek Squad once worked on a co-workers laptop for her. $189. She gets it back and it still runs slow. I look at it. Free Space on C drive is 0. You pay $189 and they don't notice the C drive is out of space??

I bought a video game from BestBuy because someone gave me a gift card. Otherwise I don't shop there.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:32 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I'm sure many said the same about Circuit City before they folded like a cheap lawn chair.
IME, Circuit City's stores were run down, cluttered, and filled with old crap. They were trying to go head to head against Best Buy which, for all its faults, does manage to have a somewhat pleasant store.

CompUSA suffered a similar problem - cluttered, unpleasant stores filled with old crap. Yeah, it's great that if I really needed a floppy drive in 2007, I could go there and get one, but that doesn't pay the bills.

Now Best Buy is the only one left. They have some competition from places like Wal Mart, but no large electronics retailers to go up against.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:48 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,708,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
IME, Circuit City's stores were run down, cluttered, and filled with old crap. They were trying to go head to head against Best Buy which, for all its faults, does manage to have a somewhat pleasant store.

CompUSA suffered a similar problem - cluttered, unpleasant stores filled with old crap. Yeah, it's great that if I really needed a floppy drive in 2007, I could go there and get one, but that doesn't pay the bills.

Now Best Buy is the only one left. They have some competition from places like Wal Mart, but no large electronics retailers to go up against.
Lucky for me, I live in an area where there is still a brick & mortar COMPUSA. They're owned by TigerDirect now, but I've yet to find something at BB that I couldn't get the same or comparable for a much cheaper price at CU. Not to mention, if I have a question at CU, the person I'm talking to has the knowledge to answer it. Chances are, the person selling computers at BB was working the appliance section last week.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:53 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,197,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
"Showrooming" is what destroyed Borders, and I really miss Borders. I bought more books from Borders with their sale coupons than at Barnes & Noble. Barnes & Noble hardly has books sales so I buy from ebay or else just torrent the book pdf.

Engineering and college books are just too expensive nowadays. Like I couldn't afford a $130 PLC book so I got it "from a pdf."

Barnes and Nobles always has book sales. Every time Ive ever been in there they have several aisles of discounted books. Thats how Ive built most of my war book library. Getting $40 full color books for $5 is what Im all about.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:57 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,197,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post

Circuit City was awesome for having an excellent selection of TV series on DVD, and almost always beat Best Buys price for it.

I do agree that the stores were always cluttered and messed up, and they were useless for anything but DVDs but, I do miss there being any real competition in the space from brick and mortar. Target and Walmart are largely overpriced.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:48 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF
.... They have some competition from places like Wal Mart, but no large electronics retailers to go up against.
Well up to early 2000's BB did their best to undercut at a loss CompUSA & CircuitCity.CompUSA & CircuitCity were not filled with old merchandise, they were filled with much more merchandise than BB that it made them look like a warehouse. But once these store were gone, prices rose dramatically at BB. Thus upwards to the end of 2011 no one really had any great prices during BF or Xmas. Look at the prices now on numerous items, they are much lower than they were five months ago. Drive by BB and see most of the parking lot it empty. They did it to themselves so much that HHgregg & Sears raise their prices when BB does. I give them maybe five years before they go under unless they change their strategy to be in line with the internet.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:55 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
We purchase there. The last thing was a 32" HDTV that BB had at a price even lower than anyone online. The same for a subwoofer we bought few months ago. Not buying from them just because they're BB is ridiculous.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:54 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
We purchase there. The last thing was a 32" HDTV that BB had at a price even lower than anyone online. The same for a subwoofer we bought few months ago. Not buying from them just because they're BB is ridiculous.
Just bought a 55" LCD LED TV. Sams Club was cheaper by almost $200 than online or any other brick & mortar store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers