Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 05:21 PM

285 posts, read 905,134 times

Advertisements

I've just replaced a failed HD (250G) with a new drive (350G) on my Presario laptop w/Vista.
CHKDSK has given the new drive its blessing and a thumbs up. However, the bootup is sluggish and there is no access to the wireless. It shows the Services Event Notification as having problems.
A look at the services tab tells me that it's attempting to start, but just churns and churns. I'm hoping with the drive switch out completed, some simple tweaking might be in order.

What might I do now that the old drive has been replaced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 05:26 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
I've just replaced a failed HD (250G) with a new drive (350G) on my Presario laptop w/Vista.
CHKDSK has given the new drive its blessing and a thumbs up. However, the bootup is sluggish and there is no access to the wireless. It shows the Services Event Notification as having problems.
A look at the services tab tells me that it's attempting to start, but just churns and churns. I'm hoping with the drive switch out completed, some simple tweaking might be in order.

Install the drivers for the wireless. I would start with the original drivers that came with the laptop and update from there. See if things get better. If not it's time for more investigation.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:06 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,204,544 times
Quote:

What did you install on this new disk? Was it a rescue CD from Compaq or an OEM Windows installation CD?

Are there any hardware devices with errors? As tek says, at a minimum you don't have the drivers installed for the wireless hardware....

Device Status Vista - How to View a Device's Status in Device Manager in Windows Vista

Old 10-10-2012, 06:20 PM

Allow me to clarify:
I place the cursor over the connection icon in the toolbar, it comes back with "Connection status unknown...the dependency service or group failed to start". Clicking on it (to connect to a network) says that Windows cannot find any networks. When I start Windows Wireless Service to possible remedy the problem, it tells me that Windows cannot resolve the problem. It would normally show ALL wireless networks in my area, mine having the strongest signal.
For what its worth, I did just clone the drive from the failing drive and am concerned it may have copied the settings.

Getting better and better...
Close inspections shows the DHCP Client, Net Driver HPZ12 and System Event Notifiaction Service all are not starting up. They're posted to start automatically.

Last edited by desertskies; 10-10-2012 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: adding service tabs areas not starting up

Old 10-10-2012, 06:27 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,204,544 times
Quote:
Allow me to clarify:
I place the cursor over the connection icon in the toolbar, it comes back with "Connection status unknown...the dependency service or group failed to start". Clicking on it (to connect to a network) says that Windows cannot find any networks. When I start Windows Wireless Service to possible remedy the problem, it tells me that Windows cannot resolve the problem. It would normally show ALL wireless networks in my area, mine having the strongest signal.
For what its worth, I did just clone the drive from the failing drive and am concerned it may have copied the settings.
Don't know what you used to clone the disk but normally it does exactly what it says, copies everything.

UNLESS the source disk had some type of read errors..... Should we assume you did the clone after the original HD started having problems?

GIGO

Old 10-10-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Don't know what you used to clone the disk but normally it does exactly what it says, copies everything.

UNLESS the source disk had some type of read errors..... Should we assume you did the clone after the original HD started having problems?

GIGO
yeppers.

Quote:
Allow me to clarify:
Getting better and better...
Close inspections shows the DHCP Client, Net Driver HPZ12 and System Event Notifiaction Service all are not starting up. They're posted to start automatically.

Last edited by desertskies; 10-10-2012 at 06:50 PM..

Old 10-10-2012, 08:20 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,622,608 times
Garbage in, garbage out. You may just be better off doing a fresh install of Windows.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Garbage in, garbage out. You may just be better off doing a fresh install of Windows.
It came installed...thanks for playing

Old 10-10-2012, 08:47 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,538,091 times
Quote:
You have never bothered to mention this........ thus you should call the vendor support desk and ask them for a solution, but tell them the whole story, don't leave them to guess................... next

Old 10-11-2012, 03:03 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
Quote:

It came installed from who? And was it installed from a Windows CD or a Recovery CD?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers