Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2012, 12:05 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,258,545 times

Advertisements

I say dreaded because a search for solution brough up a bizzilion threads out there all with the same problem across all types of printers and connections.

I have an old HP5550 deskjet. A EeePC seashell netbook with Windows 7. The printer is in the other room, not on wireless though the netbook is. I hook the usb from the printer to the netbook.
I was trying to print an Amazon return label but it was having trouble with the paper. Put in new paper, it printed the second page. ok, I also needed the first page. Now no can do. Flashy light and error printer offline message.
Tried unplugging from power several times. Wiped cartridges. Checked online for new drivers but when I tried to download just got a message saying Win 7 has the drivers, so I guess I have to assume drivers are current. Port is selected for USB.

Any joy here?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 12:31 PM

23,665 posts, read 70,718,222 times
Power down printer. Unplug printer USB cable. Power down computer.
Restart computer. Plug cable back in. Restart printer.

sometimes that works. If not, look for a problem within the printer again.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:43 PM

3,993 posts, read 5,194,382 times
We have many 5550s here at work and they seem to be dying a lot this year. One of the tell tale signs is the lights or the sound of gears failing to mesh correctly. We have enough dead ones at he shop that we can swap out he controller board on one which will usually correct the problem, but that's obviously not an option for most people.

When you say "flashy light", what exactly do you mean? Is it one light, two lights or are they flashing in sequence?

Are you sure your USB port is OK? Have you tired plugging anything else into it and does Windows recognize the device when you do?
Have you checked Windows Updates for a more recent driver? Even if the manufacturer stops supplying the driver, Windows will sometimes update them when needed.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:15 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,825,304 times
I cannot remember the model but there was an HP where I worked that would do that if a light/sensor was blocked by a piece of paper. It got to the point that I knew to completely clear a jam before I tried to print.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:54 PM

8,382 posts, read 13,540,513 times
As an addition to all that has been suggested:

Does the printer in START > Devices and Printers indicate any issues with the printer?
Typically your problem would be with either the connection or something within the printer but if only if we can confirm you have the latest correct device drivers installed for it. Windows generic drivers are OK but I generally prefer the ones from the manufacturer over the ones Windows use.

It is odd that it wouldn't install the latest drivers you downloaded. What is the exact message or error it shows when you try to install the drivers?

I would suggest uninstalling the printer from Devices and Printers first then proceed with manual installation of the drivers you downloaded. Make sure there are no pending print jobs though. Generally when the print job fails, it will remain in the spooler:
Quote:
"C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS" There should be nothing in the PRINTERS folder if there is nothing printing!
You can double-click on the printer icon in the system tray (if you still see one) or go to Start > Devices and Printers and then double-click on the printer in question. Pause > Cancel any pending print jobs before attempting to remove the printer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers