Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2012, 10:20 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,557,816 times

Advertisements

Figured I did not need a new laptop.Think family files, finance related sw, maybe some small business stuff, mapping stuff, family photos and photo editing but not professional stuff. ..........

For anyone interested in commenting. How do I really figure out what to get. I put this together mainly because I get a work discount at HP and can customize but I am open to other options. I don't do gaming but do some mapping stuff and figured the graphics card would be a good option plus figure desktops live with you longer than laptops. I am not doing a lot of movies and super duper graphics I figured 1 terrabyte was enough though I used to think 40MB was a lot years ago.....I am certainly outgrowing the 320 GB on my laptop but that is mainly due to aerial map tiles for a mapping program.

This is an HP Pavillion I spec'd out. I put win 7 pro so i can create a back up image on an external HDD which I think you cant do in win 7 and I hate DVDs --- is that correct?

Will a wireless N card "talk" to my wireless g laser printer? I guess for a desktop I can just use the USB anyway. I also have another Kaspersky license so I am good there, too.

I am still not 100% opposed to win 8 as I understand it is faster and more efficient..I think I could get over the interface if I don't loose control. This computer is pretty much same price win 7 or win 8--but I figure win 7 gives me the opportunity to try win 8 for cheap and go back if I dont like it.

Thanks for any comments. This is def more than a cheap laptop. Open for suggested improvements or even another good desktop.

Your HPE h8-1360t series OH THE HYPERLINKS ARE DEAD-just copy/paste for the text

Operating systemWindows 7 Professional 64editProcessor3rd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 quad-core processor [3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache]editMemory8GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs]editHard drive1TB 7200 rpm SATA hard driveeditSecondary Hard DriveNo secondary hard driveeditGraphics card2GB DDR3 AMD Radeon HD 7570 [DVI, HDMI, DP & VGA via adapter]editPower Supply300W Power supplyeditPrimary optical driveSuperMulti DVD BurnereditNetworkingPremium Wireless-N LAN card and Bluetooth(R )(2x2)editProductivity ports15-in-1 memory card reader, 4 USB 2.0 (front), 2 USB 3.0 (top)editOffice softwareMicrosoft(R) Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word & Excel w/ ads. No PowerPoint or OutlookeditSecurity softwareNo additional security softwareeditTV & entertainment experienceNo TV TunereditSound CardBeats Audio (tm) -- integrated studio quality soundeditKeyboard and MouseHP backlit Beats keyboard & optical mouseeditIncluded Software BundleAdobe Premiere Elements & Photoshop Elements 10editYour additional options:
Click edit to modify. NOTE: These items are in stock and will ship immediately.MonitorHP W2371d 23-inch LED Backlit LCD Monitor

Old 11-24-2012, 08:29 PM

188 posts, read 279,005 times
Hi -

That is a very nice system!

Two changes that I would recommend -
1. Higher power supply - 300w may not cut it with the upgrades; 460w should be fine

2. No ATI video - go with one of the NVIDIA cards -
GeForce GT 630 (2 GB)
GeForce GT 640 (3 GB)

I have seen too many BSODs with ATI - probably 1,000 or more ATI for every 1 (one) NVIDIA

Specs on your system - HP Pavilion HPE h8-1360t Product Specifications and Configurable Options HP Pavilion HPE h8-1360t CTO Desktop PC | HP® Support

Don't know much about the wifi & printer except I usually see them backwards-compatible as your specs indicate - "Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n"

I would also go with Windows 8 unless you already have a full retail license for W7 or the system comes with OEM W7. You'll get used to Windows 8 very quickly. It is built on the NT 6.2 platform. Windows 7 = NT 6.1; Vista = 6.0 -- so all 3 share the basic NT6 build.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 08:47 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,580,504 times
The system has good specs. I prefer Win7 over 8. Yes "N"will talk with "G".

The only problem I have is with HP. I hate HP stuff. Asus is the top of my list.
However, since it can be configured for you, I would ask if they can refrain from loading all the "bloatware" on there.
And you defs need a bigger power supply. Probably at least a 460w as the previous poster suggested.

I'd also go Nvidia.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:28 AM

Got it on the power supply. No NVIDEA graphics option offered....... Yes no love lost here with HP and sure the bloatware is a given. Also looking at Origin. still on the fence about desktop or laptop............Origin may cost a good bit more but the support and liquid cooling give options for getting a system I can maintain over the years.

I may take a second look at Asus. All of the big companies seem to suffer in the customer service department.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:48 PM

My question is moot. I moved over to an Origin Laptop bought it this morning. Low end by Origin standards but when I came up with a comprable Dell or HP, the Origin was considerably less and still had better components.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:34 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,599,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
The system has good specs. I prefer Win7 over 8. Yes "N"will talk with "G".

The only problem I have is with HP. I hate HP stuff. Asus is the top of my list.
However, since it can be configured for you, I would ask if they can refrain from loading all the "bloatware" on there.
And you defs need a bigger power supply. Probably at least a 460w as the previous poster suggested.

I'd also go Nvidia.
Just out of curiosity...why do you hate HP products? I have always had HP products and love them. Now I do not know how to compare the quality of different PCs and peripherals, except for looking at commonly used specs. However, I do know that my HP Pavilions have served me well for my needs. I am sure other companies that create a PC or other peripherals that I can also be pleased with. However, what I am trying to say is that HP products have proven themselves to me to not be a piece of junk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers