Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2012, 09:01 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,092,133 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts on the above? Dad gave me a Best Buy gc. I was in the market for a laptop and tablet. This looks like a nice crossover between the two. No experience with Windows 8.

Thanks for any insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 07:16 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,260,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Any thoughts on the above? Dad gave me a Best Buy gc. I was in the market for a laptop and tablet. This looks like a nice crossover between the two. No experience with Windows 8.

Thanks for any insight!
If what you need is a small carry type unit then that would work for you but note that it has no optical drive so you would then need to buy an external optical drive to make it a lot more usable. Also such a small screen makes it hard to use as we get older but for the young it should be no problem. I personally like at least a 14 inch screen and a unit with an optical drive but since you mentioned tablet then that seems to fit your needs.

HERE are the specs.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:39 AM

16,559 posts, read 19,752,412 times
You do not need an OPTIC DRIVE anymore.
Going the way of the VCR, those are.
And an 11" screen is plenty, even for an old man.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:33 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,260,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You do not need an OPTIC DRIVE anymore.
Going the way of the VCR, those are.
And an 11" screen is plenty, even for an old man.
Okay, so without an optical drive how do you play movies or burn cd's to have photos made off your computer or load programs bought on disc?

I watch movies on my laptop during long flights and I burn cd's or dvd's when I want to have photos or movie hard copies that are loaded on my laptop.

In the past I have used thumb drives to load photos onto, but in some foreign countries it seems like hackers must enjoy bringing in media with viruses, so it ends up on the photo shops equipment and then once they put your thumb drive into in their equipment to take the photos off, the virus is on the thumb drive, so the last time I did it that way I had to toss the thumb drive away because every time I put it in my laptop my virus protector went crazy and it would not allow me to run a virus run on the thumb drive.

I believe there is still a place in this world for optical drives, at least for me and those who use computers like my wife and I do.

Added, and at 64 years old I find anything less than a 14" monitor hard to use. I had a netbook for travel and had to sell it and get the 14" but younger people I am sure would probably not have that problem, yet my much younger wife also did not like the netbook and opted for a 14" laptop as well.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,148,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Okay, so without an optical drive how do you play movies or burn cd's to have photos made off your computer or load programs bought on disc?
External optical drive. Plug it in at home. Copy the photos onto the hard drive. Rip the DVD into an AVI or MP4 file onto the hard drive. Then disconnect the drive, put it on a shelf and leave the extra weight at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers