Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2012, 06:40 PM

89 posts, read 409,748 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I have a 32bit vista os and a 4gb ram ddr2 upgrade limit. I currently have 2x512mb ram installed (factory) and want to upgrade to either 3gb or 4gb.

I wanted to ask if I could use 2x2gb (in place of the two 512s) and leave the other 2 slots empty, or if I should install 1gb in each slot. If I were to use 4x1gb, do all 4 modules have to be the same or can I get 2 pairs, but slightly different (let's say one pair is pc6400, the other 5400)?

Since I already have 1gb installed (2x512), if I got a pair of 1gb=2gb total, and installed those in the other 2 slots will it work?

I am aware that my computer will only utilize 3gb because it's 32bit, so will it do any "harm" to install 4gb? I'm just not sure how to go about doing this.

My computer runs on vista and it's 6-7 years old, if that matters.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 07:30 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nas-gr View Post
Hi all,
I have a 32bit vista os and a 4gb ram ddr2 upgrade limit. I currently have 2x512mb ram installed (factory) and want to upgrade to either 3gb or 4gb.

I wanted to ask if I could use 2x2gb (in place of the two 512s) and leave the other 2 slots empty, or if I should install 1gb in each slot. If I were to use 4x1gb, do all 4 modules have to be the same or can I get 2 pairs, but slightly different (let's say one pair is pc6400, the other 5400)?
It depends on whether the motherboard can handle 2GB sticks in the slots. If the motherboard is capable of doing so, then you can do this. But if the motherboard has a total 4GB RAM limit, this is usually a sign of each slot being able to handle a maximum of 1GB each. That being said, your safer bet is 4x1GB.

If you use RAM at different speeds, all the RAM will run at the lower speed. If your CPU calls for 5400 or less, then there's so problem with doing what you suggested.
Quote:

Since I already have 1gb installed (2x512), if I got a pair of 1gb=2gb total, and installed those in the other 2 slots will it work?
Yes. You will have a total of 3GB of RAM.
Quote:

I am aware that my computer will only utilize 3gb because it's 32bit, so will it do any "harm" to install 4gb? I'm just not sure how to go about doing this.

My computer runs on vista and it's 6-7 years old, if that matters.

Thanks
Installing 4GB of RAM will not harm anything. The limit on a 32-bit OS is actually 4GB, not 3GB. The address table contains addressing for System RAM and Video RAM, combined. So the actuall amount of system RAM available to your computer will be 4GB minus the amount of Video RAM in your computer. Depending on how old your computer is this can be anywhere from 3GB to 3.875GB.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:52 PM

445 posts, read 1,604,922 times
Go here Use the Crucial System Scanner software to find out what type of memory is in your computer

Let their scanner evaluate your system. They will offer ram that will work "Thats EASY"

Old 01-01-2013, 01:02 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
More than likely your system will handle 2 x 2Gb. But you should check the documentation to see what the computer/motherboard can handle.

Installing 4 Gb on a 32 bit system will not hurt anything. That is what I would do. 2 x 2 Gb should perform slightly better than 3 x 1 Gb assuming the motherboard has dual channel memory capability.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:51 PM

8,311 posts, read 13,444,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenoid View Post
Go here Use the Crucial System Scanner software to find out what type of memory is in your computer

Let their scanner evaluate your system. They will offer ram that will work "Thats EASY"
That is a pretty slick tool indeed. Of course, it brings up all Crucial memory in the end result list but that is to be expected. It did list couple of higher RAM types in my scan results which are actually OC'ed version of the non-overclocked memory type I am using.

nas-gr, I was going to recommend visiting your computer manufacturer's web site to look up the RAM info which you might still want to do but the tool Treenoid gave the link to works really well.
Download it to your desktop or let it run direct, scan takes about 7-10 seconds then it displays the results in your default browser window. Here is mine:

Thick RED box shows the chipset my motherboard is using and the thinner RED box shows the list of RAM types supported by that chipset.

GREEN box shows the current RAM information. Total RAM divided by total slots will give you the MAXIMUM each slot supports. In my case, 32GB / 4 = 8GB supported by each slot.

PINK box on the right is a list of (Crucial) RAM I could buy for my PC. This is the advertisement part but even though Crucial is a really good brand, you might want to shop around.

Alternatively, you can use the Memory Finder Tool on Newegg which provides a list of compatible RAM from different memory vendors at very reasonable prices.

Personal note:
If you end up getting 2x 2GB RAM, that will be more than enough so I suggest you take out the existing RAM sticks and insert the new ones in the same slots. There is a little cut at the bottom of the RAM sticks, that cut is not exactly in the center, one side is slightly longer than the other so be sure to pay attention when you are seating the new ones.

I advice people against using different types of RAM mixed together in the same PC even both RAM was supported and seemingly worked OK.
It can always create problems, hard to ensure system stability in that configuration. At the very least, it downgrades the performance of the better RAM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers