Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2013, 01:22 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts

Advertisements

I had downloaded PeaZip in order to unzip a gz file. Within this program were certain items and my folder with all my work, pictures, etc. I deleted these things only to find out that it completly deleted it from my computer and desktop - what the hell? Is there any way to recover this from the PeaZip program or from my computer? Why would it do that - I never even put the folder in there to begin with - it just appeared in there when I opened it.

It even deleted my Internet Exploreer icon on the desktop ???

Last edited by 2K5Gx2km; 01-10-2013 at 01:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 01:59 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,003,381 times
Not sure what you mean by " Within this program were certain items and my folder with all my work"??

Your Windows version is?

Old 01-10-2013, 02:12 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Not sure what you mean by " Within this program were certain items and my folder with all my work"??

Your Windows version is?
Vista.

The program was PeaZip and when you open it up there is an are where you import items to unzip - in there were other items that I had not put in there but which were there, I guess, becuase the progam had all my stuff in there. I thought that when I deleted these things it was just form this program not from my friggin computer. I deleted my folder with all my stuff in it and behold it is all missing now - nowhere to be found.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:18 PM

It sounds like what you were seeing was a file explorer window in the program, which allows you to browse for files to add to an archive, what you were seeing is the files that were in fact on your computer. If you don't have a backup (and I can't understand why you don't if the files are that important), you can try one of the many free undelete apps that are available, or if you're using Vista Business or Ultimate you can use previous versions Using Vista Previous Versions to Restore Files You Thought You'd Lost - Jon Galloway

Old 01-10-2013, 02:24 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,384,153 times
Anything deleted from a file explorer window in a program should just go to the Recycle Bin though. Not sure why PeaZip or any other program would delete files entirely.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:24 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
It sounds like what you were seeing was a file explorer window in the program, which allows you to browse for files to add to an archive, what you were seeing is the files that were in fact on your computer. If you don't have a backup (and I can't understand why you don't if the files are that important), you can try one of the many free undelete apps that are available, or if you're using Vista Business or Ultimate you can use previous versions Using Vista Previous Versions to Restore Files You Thought You'd Lost - Jon Galloway
Thanks, I do have back-ups on CD's but I only back every so often and I have not done so in awhile so I have created some new material which is not backed-up.

I guess there is no other way to do this from my computer? What id a good undelete app? This is Vista Home Premium

Old 01-10-2013, 02:25 PM

Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download

Ideally, that hard drive should be installed as a slave in another PC to do the recovery work, the more you use the PC, the less likely that you'll be able to recover anything.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:26 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Anything deleted from a file explorer window in a program should just go to the Recycle Bin though. Not sure why PeaZip or any other program would delete files entirely.
My Recycle Bin is one of the few things it did not delete Unfortunately my stuff is not there. I do not understand why it did this as well.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:27 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download

Ideally, that hard drive should be installed as a slave in another PC to do the recovery work, the more you use the PC, the less likely that you'll be able to recovery anything.
Thanks!

Old 01-10-2013, 07:02 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
The Recova found over 500,000 files - I have no idea what some of these are. Some seem to be plug-ins and other program and udate stuff??? Most of it was unrecoverable and the ones that were keep coming out all jibberish or unable to view. Freaking mess!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers