Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 03:57 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
But there are 200 million of us, isnt that plenty to go around? "A friend to all is a friend to none" (Someone said that- good old Benjamin Franklin or someone like that)

To want to be all things to all people is unrealistic, and a recipe for disaster. And it reeks of greed.
Try 315,000,000 and change, but who's counting? These people!

US & World Population Clock - U.S. Census Bureau
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 04:09 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,590,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Try 315,000,000 and change, but who's counting? These people!

US & World Population Clock - U.S. Census Bureau
LOL Yeah but some have no desire to touch a computer, or they're infants, or have 1 foot in the grave, etc

Old 02-07-2013, 05:50 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Quote:
thanks. but out of curiosity, who here has iOS and Android and possibly a 3rd OS in their life by choice?
MacPro at home, MacBook pro for work, but actually work in a MS environment, so I do have VMs running Win7 and various linux distros. Have an Android phone.

I think it comes down to the need for each individual. Can one company OFFER all things? Sure... but whether or not all of their offerings are considered the best choice for the needs of an individual or company is another issue.

If I was to think of one company that has done the best job at this (within their area) - I would say Cisco. I've worked at companies where almost everything network related had a Cisco logo on it. Routers, switches, firewalls, IDS/IPS, SIEM, VoIP, WiFi, VPN, etc. But even with all of that, you'll still most likely use a non-cisco product for security monitoring, network management etc... until Cisco buys them out, that is.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:27 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,466,965 times
Quote:
thanks. but out of curiosity, who here has iOS and Android and possibly a 3rd OS in their life by choice?
I have two windows machines, an iPad, an Android phone, and another computer that use to test out different Linux distros.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:53 PM

thanks for all the responses. see, i guesstimate anyone who is 1,000% loyal to one company is the minority. i imagine some folks like that exist, but i honestly believe that's just ... rare these days. rare and to the detriment of the person who thinks that way. the thing is, i see so many immature back-and-forths meaning android bashing, iOS bashing etc etc. i mean, seriously, aren't these people aware of the concept of pros and cons? if i had millions of dollars in the bank, i'd have all the major OS's in my life.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:13 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,106 times
I have a macbook pro and imac (work and personal), and android phone.

OSX: Everything really but mostly business (design and cad software.)
Android: Phone, mobile internet, 'ipod' (poweramp), film watching on trains.
Windows 7: Revit and only revit: Revit – Autodesk About time it was ported!

Last edited by archineer; 02-08-2013 at 01:23 PM..

Old 02-13-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
I have a macbook pro and imac (work and personal), and android phone.

OSX: Everything really but mostly business (design and cad software.)
Android: Phone, mobile internet, 'ipod' (poweramp), film watching on trains.
Windows 7: Revit and only revit: Revit – Autodesk About time it was ported!
I always believed OSX was the appropriate choice for design/CAD etc

Old 02-13-2013, 09:47 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
We have 4 platforms in our lives at my house and have dipped a toe into a fifth.

I have an Android phone, initially because the service was cheaper than it was for the iPhone, but now I stick with it because the Total Cost of Ownership is lower and being a heavy user of Google products, the platform fits my needs. My wife prefers the iPhone and doesn't mind the extra cost.

We also share a wifi iPad (iOS) and my kids each have their own iPod Touch, because we like the apps on iOS.

We have both Windows 7 and Mac OS computers in the house. The Windows computers are hooked to TVs and used both for web surfing and as HTPCs. The Mac computers are our primary desktop/notebook platform with MS Office and the Adobe CS. I don't think there's a single purchased app on either of the Windows PCs.

I have taken classes in Linux and used it to get acquainted with the platform, but I don't currently have any computers running it.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:42 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
The only limitation any os has is the software applications that have been written to run on it.

We run in a total Mac environment and have yet to find an need a job that we need to for any OS. My wife on the other hand is stuck with MS because that is the environment her company has chosen to run with.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:22 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times
Linux: An OS which has always fascinated me and I have used on a daily basis for several months at a time. Unfortunately, I keep going back to Windows. Yet Linux always draws me back with its challenge and its just general "feel". I always feel like a master typing out commands in the shell.

Windows: My "fall back" OS and the one I know I can run most of my software on. Unfortunately, MS has seemed to be going down a bad path since Vista and especially with 8...not so much in stability, but in UI. The Linux/FOSS world has been following the same lead, too. I think they reached perfection with KDE 3.5 and have been going downhill ever since.

Apple: A company I disagree vehemently with. They're the antithesis of software freedom, of friendly complexity, of all that I stand for. They make Microsoft look like SuSE. Sure, it may "work" for certain applications, but they take the fun out of computing. My sister loves them, though. My last experience with them was an iPhone 3GS. I immediately despised it once I realized that the only way to transfer files to and from it was with iTunes, which ran like crap on my Windows computers.

Android: My choice for mobile and tablet devices, largely because they're cheap, have a lot of apps available, and more flexible than the big alternative (iOS).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers