Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 10:21 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Why not use Thunderbird to send/receive Gmail?
Why should I, when I already have GMail, Hotmail and Yahoo? That's what I signed up for on those: A simple way to compose, send and receive email messages, which is what they pitched it as when they offered their service. They lied -- they reneged on what they said they were going to do for me.

G-mail (along with Yahoo and Hotmail) has pretty transparently thrown the e-mail utility under the bus, burying it under a blizzard of promotional razzle dazzle designed to join twitter and facebook in the race to see now many teen-aged girls can get how many followers in their social circle.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-04-2013 at 10:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 10:27 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,870,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Why should I, when I already have GMail, Hotmail and Yahoo? That's what I signed up for on those: A simple way to compose, send and receive email messages, which is what they pitched it as when they offered their service. They lied -- they reneged on what they said they were going to do for me.
Maybe if you paid for it you'd have at least a small fragment of a case.....

Old 04-05-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
Maybe if you paid for it you'd have at least a small fragment of a case.....
They have ads on their sites, which I am also forced to endure. I pay my internet service provider to make them accessible to me. I have the same right to complain that I have when I object to programs on cable TV that are full of commercial breaks, even though you seem to think I am getting them free and have no case.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:59 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
They have ads on their sites, which I am also forced to endure. I pay my internet service provider to make them accessible to me. I have the same right to complain that I have when I object to programs on cable TV that are full of commercial breaks, even though you seem to think I am getting them free and should have no case.
You aren't bound to any contract. You can just stop using them if you don't like them.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with complaining. But they don't have to listen to you.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:16 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,390,167 times
I'm a hater. I almost thought it was an April Fool's joke. One consolation: The compose box can "pop-out" to full screen by clicking the up-arrow (at top right corner).

Old 04-05-2013, 08:43 PM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Agree with those that like it. Hated it the old way.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:44 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
i hate it so much! thanks for the link!
why can't people just leave stuff alone..if its not broke don't fix it ... same with youtube,facebook and tumblr.. now i mostly use my phone to do things because at least it changes less often

Old 04-09-2013, 12:20 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Most people hate this change, although you can get out of it.
Most being . . .you?

No one in my household complained

Old 04-09-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You aren't bound to any contract.
Yes there is a contract. I was required to click the "I Agree" box as part of the service agreement, which formed a contract, and I have a right to hold them to the representation they made at that time, even if tacit. And that was to provide me with an e-mail service that was facile and accessible with ordinary effort.

THey had already reneged once before. When I originally set up Yahoo Mail, they said the email service was available through "any computer". I had text-based Lynx at the time, and sure enough, they reconfigured the "Send" button to a Java application, which made it impossible to send an e-mail through Yahoo without a Window's-capable browser. which then was about a $750 upgrade from my hand-me-down 286.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-09-2013 at 02:39 PM..

Old 04-09-2013, 02:38 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,870,297 times
Quote:
Yes there is a contract. I was required to click the "I Agree" box as part of the service agreement, which formed a contract, and I have a right to hold them to the representation they made at that time, even if tacit. And that was to provide me with an e-mail service that was facile and accessible with ordinary effort.

THey had already reneged once before. When I originally set up Yahoo Mail, they said the email service was available through "any computer". I had text-based Lynx at the time, and sure enough, they reconfigured the "Send" button to a Java application, which made it impossible to send an e-mail through Yahoo without a Window's-capable browser. which then was about a $750 upgrade from my hand-me-down.
You should very obviously create a new mail provider and dominate the market with a 100% compatible service that provides 100% guaranteed satisfaction to your millions and millions of users. It mustn't be that hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers