Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 07:16 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,540,802 times

Advertisements

Ok, well I am now browsing on this older version (13). I haven't surfed enough to see how its working.

I am feeling sad about losing a couple of my plugins - particularly SuperStart - so I will have to see if I can adapt to not having that anymore.

If you aren't aware of SuperStart- it basically gives you a start page on Firefox where you can add all your favorite links as tiles on the page, so you have a little mini-picture of each page, and then you can click on them to have them open in a new tab. I really liked it.

But.... I survived before SuperStart came into my life, so I will probably be able to survive without it.

I just tried scrolling through the NY Daily News site and it seemed to scroll better... but my typing is still lagging a bit while I type here. I will give it a few days and see what happens.

BTW, it turns out I have been using version 30 of FF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 05:29 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,714,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Ok, well I am now browsing on this older version (13). I haven't surfed enough to see how its working.

I am feeling sad about losing a couple of my plugins - particularly SuperStart - so I will have to see if I can adapt to not having that anymore.

If you aren't aware of SuperStart- it basically gives you a start page on Firefox where you can add all your favorite links as tiles on the page, so you have a little mini-picture of each page, and then you can click on them to have them open in a new tab. I really liked it.

But.... I survived before SuperStart came into my life, so I will probably be able to survive without it.

I just tried scrolling through the NY Daily News site and it seemed to scroll better... but my typing is still lagging a bit while I type here. I will give it a few days and see what happens.

BTW, it turns out I have been using version 30 of FF.
For me, the difference was night and day and didn't take 10 seconds to see a remarkable improvement. But then, I was using 27 and 28 and not 30.

I'm not a fan of plug-ins and don't use any except for the basics like flash. It is by adding a lot of extra junk that these browsers get bogged down. SuperStart sounds like an expanded version of the most recently visited mini-pictures on the tabs in version 13. I'll take my fast and smooth performance any day over new features like that.

Your typing is still lagging? Hmmmmm.......that I don't understand as I have none of that. Fast, smooth, instantly responsive on my computer.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:14 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
KittenSparkles , while the browser is running slow in the search box on the start menu type in task manager and hit return. Alternatively ou can also hit and hold the keys ctr, alt, and delete in that order. Then select task manager.

Down the bottom of this window you should have percentages for CPU and memory. What are the percentages?

Old 07-06-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
KittenSparkles , while the browser is running slow in the search box on the start menu type in task manager and hit return. Alternatively ou can also hit and hold the keys ctr, alt, and delete in that order. Then select task manager.

Down the bottom of this window you should have percentages for CPU and memory. What are the percentages?
That is kinda cool...never have done that before... right now mine says 3% CPU and 34% physical memory. A few minutes ago, when I first went on to the New York Daily News site (a page that has tons of pictures and links), the CPU went up to anywhere from 25% - 34% and it was hard to scroll. Then as I scrolled further down that page, the scrolling got easier and the CPU usage dropped down to under 10%, hovering around 3-5%.

Not sure what any of this means, though!

Old 07-06-2014, 11:15 AM

I have a bunch of pages open right now, am also playing a video off YouTube, and
physical memory is 46%, CPU is fluctuating from 18% up to high 30s.

Sometimes there is a drag while I am typing (like now).

My computer never used to have these issues, so I am hopeful someone can
point me into the right direction as to what is causing this. I am pretty sure I am
not imagining it!

Ok, back to report one more related issue that I forgot about until just now.
I am playing a video off YouTube and the audio track plays fine, but the video keeps
getting stuck every other second or so, so the visuals are not completely in sync with the audio.

My computer has become possessed by aliens

Old 07-06-2014, 11:37 AM

Ok, more info here.

Just out of curiousity, I went over to use Chrome, and the videos don't lag there at all. Also, no scrolling problems on New York Daily News.

So right now I am on an old version of FF, but still all these weird lagging issues,
I don't think that this problem is being caused by the version of FF I was using.

Web pages, when I first go to them, load slow in both Chrome and FF, though.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Ok, more info here.

Just out of curiousity, I went over to use Chrome, and the videos don't lag there at all. Also, no scrolling problems on New York Daily News.

So right now I am on an old version of FF, but still all these weird lagging issues,
I don't think that this problem is being caused by the version of FF I was using.

Web pages, when I first go to them, load slow in both Chrome and FF, though.
Yeah, you shouldn't have lagging issues with 13. So based on this latest information, I would agree it's something else.

Could be a lot of different things. Think back to another change that occurred around the time you started seeing these issues. New or change in anti-virus program setting?....or some other such change?

Old 07-06-2014, 12:29 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
If it's something else why doesn't Chrome exhibit the same behavior?

Kitten, stop using all the add-ons and extensions in FF for awhile. I think you can turn them off instead of uninstalling them. At least some of them.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:42 PM

ok, don't yell at me too much as I fully admit I have very limited computer knowledge.. but I am bored today and want this problem fixed.... so, I kept searching and found this thread, which is called "Firefox slow and laggy scrolling":

Firefox slow and laggy scrolling • mozillaZine Forums

And on the third page, someone talked about needing to properly uninstall Adobe Flash. That got me thinking, because over the past few weeks, Adobe Flash has been crashing over and over, many times per day.

I then went to this page, which they linked in that thread, and followed the directions to uninstall Flash: Uninstall Flash Player | Windows

I restarted the computer, and then went to the website they linked here: Flash Player Help which checks to see if Flash is installed.

When I view that page through Chrome it tells me that Flash is automatically installed with Chrome. (so my uninstall did not affect Chrome, I guess?)

But when I viewed that page in IE, it says that Flash is not installed or Enabled.

The weirdest part, which makes almost no sense to me (despite my limited knowledge of computers) is that when I tried to view those Adobe pages in FF, both before the uninstall and after, the pages are completely black. They won't load anything at all.

So I think my next step is to install Flash again. This is the page someone on that forum recommended using to install Flash from : Adobe Flash Player Distribution | Adobe

On that page, for browsers other than IE, I see that there are two things to download- it says "Download EXE installer" and "Download MSI installer" - so am I supposed to download both??

Old 07-06-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
ok, don't yell at me too much as I fully admit I have very limited computer knowledge.. but I am bored today and want this problem fixed.... so, I kept searching and found this thread, which is called "Firefox slow and laggy scrolling":

Firefox slow and laggy scrolling • mozillaZine Forums

And on the third page, someone talked about needing to properly uninstall Adobe Flash. That got me thinking, because over the past few weeks, Adobe Flash has been crashing over and over, many times per day.

I then went to this page, which they linked in that thread, and followed the directions to uninstall Flash: Uninstall Flash Player | Windows

I restarted the computer, and then went to the website they linked here: Flash Player Help which checks to see if Flash is installed.

When I view that page through Chrome it tells me that Flash is automatically installed with Chrome. (so my uninstall did not affect Chrome, I guess?)

But when I viewed that page in IE, it says that Flash is not installed or Enabled.

The weirdest part, which makes almost no sense to me (despite my limited knowledge of computers) is that when I tried to view those Adobe pages in FF, both before the uninstall and after, the pages are completely black. They won't load anything at all.

So I think my next step is to install Flash again. This is the page someone on that forum recommended using to install Flash from : Adobe Flash Player Distribution | Adobe

On that page, for browsers other than IE, I see that there are two things to download- it says "Download EXE installer" and "Download MSI installer" - so am I supposed to download both??
First of all, Flash for IE is an Active X control and is different from the Flash plug-in for Firefox. So it is possible that you uninstalled one and not the other.

You can tell by going to control panel, add or remove programs, and check to see what Flash versions are shown. Personally, given the problems you have had, I would uninstall whatever Flash program(s) you find there. To reinstall, the best way is to go to a site with Flash content and you will be automatically prompted to install. Try this one....

We Choose the Moon: Celebrating the 40th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 Lunar Landing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers