Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 06:26 PM

991 posts, read 629,511 times

Advertisements

About a week ago, my pc (windows 7 pro 64bit) wouldn't boot.
It would go to the screen that gave an indication that the boot manager was missing.
I was given the usual options, (restore, repair or reinstall).

I tried restore and "surprise" .. no restore points could be found!?
I ran the repair options .. multiple times and even though the claim that everything was fixed .. it wasn't and after starting up again and again, It would go back to that same repair, restore etc. etc. screen!

I had no other option than to use the reinstall feature.
There were two of the options: Reinstall but save all files to a backup partition or Reinstall with a complete erase.

Of course, I chose the restore with file backup and guess what?

I finally got to the desktop but "Bye Bye" files!
(Nothing was saved!)

I was willing to overlook that but here is my problem(s): I can't create any restore points, I can't get updates to work, (Updates wont even do a search).

Browsers either crash or take forever to load: Opera, IE, chrome.

I have tried to download various tools to check for corrupted files or disk errors but even though I can download the tools .. I hit a wall when I try to run them!

I have had popups that read:
server execution failed 0x80080005 error and

error 0x80080002 (and possibly 0x80080003).

I need a way to install all of the updates from 2009 upwards, (This is a 2009 pc).
I can't even update my microsoft security essentials!!

Any help would make me forever in your debt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 06:40 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,459,826 times
Can you provide some info on this system please?
How old is it?
Make/model?
Were there any issues/changes prior to this problem?

I have a feeling your OS image is corrupt and should do a fresh install but why was the image corrupted in the first place, malware infection? Something done unintentionally by a user? Faulty hard drive?

How certain your files are gone? Could it be that it created a new local user profile under a different directory name while keeping the same user name?

Enable all hidden files and folder first, then browse to C:\Users\ directory and see what user folders there are.

I would suggest running Scandisk and even onboard hardware diagnostic test most vendors include in the BIOS boot menu (typically F12 upon power on).

Bottom line, if all personal data is really gone and the hard drive didn't seem to be faulty, I'd suggest doing a fresh install.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Can you provide some info on this system please?
How old is it?
Make/model?
Were there any issues/changes prior to this problem?

I have a feeling your OS image is corrupt and should do a fresh install but why was the image corrupted in the first place, malware infection? Something done unintentionally by a user? Faulty hard drive?

How certain your files are gone? Could it be that it created a new local user profile under a different directory name while keeping the same user name?

Enable all hidden files and folder first, then browse to C:\Users\ directory and see what user folders there are.

I would suggest running Scandisk and even onboard hardware diagnostic test most vendors include in the BIOS boot menu (typically F12 upon power on).

Bottom line, if all personal data is really gone and the hard drive didn't seem to be faulty, I'd suggest doing a fresh install.
It all started after the updates in August.

I suspect that this is the culprit? Microsoft pulls its August Windows update after users report crashes | PCWorld

It was a clean install.
e machine
AMD athlon II x2 235 e processor 2.70 GHz
64 bit
Windows 7 pro

None of the built in or downloaded tools will run.

There are no other user accounts

Old 09-21-2015, 08:00 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,448,984 times
Get free windows 10 update and leave your problems behind.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Get free windows 10 update and leave your problems behind.
I went out and bought a new computer the other day and it's sitting next to my desk!

I figured that if I destroyed this one where I could no longer access it .. I'm prepared!

I will take your advice under consideration and do the windows 10 thing if I can't solve this mess!

Again, Thank You.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:56 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
If you've already purchased a new computer, set it up and move on with life. You've already stated the data is gone in the old computer, so pull the hard drive and drop the computer at a recycling drop off center (Staples will take them). If you think the old hard drive is still viable, go to ebay and order an external case for it. Format it and use it as a backup device.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:25 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,992,621 times
epliny ... just a comment re: system restore -- it has never worked on my Win7 64bit (2009 w/ SP1) desktop nor laptop. There are a couple of "fixes" for the problem, but even after the tweaks, two different computer repairmen couldn't get it to work. IMHO there is a glitch in the OS that rears its ugly head when "innocent" upgrades are attempted.

Hopefully your files are still there somewhere hidden with some bizarre folder name. I'd try what TurcoLoco suggests
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco
If you're at all familiar with cmd.exe, that might help you find your missing files.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:06 AM

2,761 posts, read 3,429,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epliny View Post
It all started after the updates in August.

I suspect that this is the culprit? Microsoft pulls its August Windows update after users report crashes | PCWorld

It was a clean install.
e machine
AMD athlon II x2 235 e processor 2.70 GHz
64 bit
Windows 7 pro

None of the built in or downloaded tools will run.

There are no other user accounts
it's a 2009 e-mashine... This junk is not even worth to spend money on repairing it.

When I googled your error code I got this:
Fix Microsoft Error Code 0×80080002 | Microsoftfixit

You have to download some software from MS site and run it, supposedly it will fix things.

E-machines are very cheaply made, do not out-rule hardware failure here.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:10 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
FYI, That isn't Microsoft's site or software.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:37 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epliny View Post

I finally got to the desktop but "Bye Bye" files!
(Nothing was saved!)
You should be able to recover most if not all of those. First thing I would try is download a copy of Knoppix. This will load a compact version of Linux and takes Windows completely out of the loop. Drop it into the CD tray and turn the computer on, if Knoppix does not load you need to go into the BIOS. To get into the BIOS typically as soon as the computer comes on it will tell you what key to press to get into the BIOS. Find the boot menu. Make sure CD is listed first.

Once Knoppix is loaded you can view the drive contents without Windows getting in the way. If you find your files copy them to external drive. If you don't find them let us know.

Last edited by thecoalman; 09-23-2015 at 04:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers