Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2017, 12:36 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,289,214 times

Advertisements

Is there a noticeable benefit using DVI-D Dual Link over DVI-D Single Link if the graphics card can't output a higher resolution anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 01:52 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,453,824 times
If the vertical resolution of your monitor is no higher than 1080p, then none whatsoever.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
If the vertical resolution of your monitor is no higher than 1080p, then none whatsoever.
Would doing this slow the computer's graphics going single to dual?

Old 02-06-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Would doing this slow the computer's graphics going single to dual?
There is no problem or performance loss using a dual-link cable when single-link would suffice.

If, however, you use a single-link when dual-link should be used, higher resolutions that the monitor and video card could support would probably not even be shown in the display properties and overall quality could be degraded even for the resolutions that were available.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:03 PM
Jza

259 posts, read 379,850 times
Dual-Link DVI allowed me to get 120hz refresh rate out of my monitor until I got my hands on a display port cable unleashing my monitors support for 144hz. I really only need 100hz or better as less than 90hz used to bother me on my CRTs back in the day. So there's one benefit I know of, refresh rates up to 120hz.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jza View Post
Dual-Link DVI allowed me to get 120hz refresh rate out of my monitor until I got my hands on a display port cable unleashing my monitors support for 144hz. I really only need 100hz or better as less than 90hz used to bother me on my CRTs back in the day. So there's one benefit I know of, refresh rates up to 120hz.
Was there a noticeable difference in how the graphics looked and/or how fast the images appeared?

I have two monitors connected, both running DVI-D single. It might be worthwhile to connect one of them with a DVI-D Dual and see if they behave differently.

If it was noticeable, which applications made the better use of DVI-D Dual? I'm going to guess it was full motion HD? Gaming? Perhaps video editing?

Old 02-07-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jza View Post
Yes, back in the CRT days the Hertz (monitor refresh rate) figures truly did matter.
Screen refresh rate of LCDs are typically locked at 60 Hz max for their native resolution which is typically also the highest resolution the monitor support provided the video/graphics card can support those settings, too. So, I am curious to find out what settings you were using?

Even more amazing is noticing such a significant difference between a 100Hz and 120Hz monitor refresh rate which is different than a frame rate in a game. How were you able to change the values and test to ascertain your findings?

Who knows what type of a system the OP has or what he is using it for, it is impossible to really guess the outcome without having him try it for himself to see.

OP, if you got the funds, try it. It won't be worse than what you got so you really don't have anything to worry about but do check out this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWEpIwNDeCA

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 02-07-2017 at 03:51 PM..

Old 02-07-2017, 07:37 PM
Jza

259 posts, read 379,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Was there a noticeable difference in how the graphics looked and/or how fast the images appeared?

I have two monitors connected, both running DVI-D single. It might be worthwhile to connect one of them with a DVI-D Dual and see if they behave differently.

If it was noticeable, which applications made the better use of DVI-D Dual? I'm going to guess it was full motion HD? Gaming? Perhaps video editing?
Not much of a noticeable difference in how things looked. Perhaps there may have been less tearing with vsync enabled but I usually disabled vsync because added FPS (even those your eye is not going to catch apparently) benefits you in different ways in some FPS games.

To be honest on the CRTs lower refresh rates did bother me so I did 100hz, but while many current and pretty much ALL of the first LCD screens were 60hz, viewing 2D static images on the LCD screen didn't bother me as much as it did on a CRT so it wasn't as bad. I really just use the full 144hz my monitor supports because why not? More performance if I decide to sync and maybe not as hard on my eyes. I am not using freesync/Gsync or any adaptive sync technologies so I am probably used to tearing on frames and it doesn't bother me as much as someone who really notices that stuff.

Quote:
Even more amazing is noticing such a significant difference between a 100Hz and 120Hz monitor refresh rate which is different than a frame rate in a game. How were you able to change the values and test to ascertain your findings?
If my post made it sound in anyway I was seeing a diff between 100 and 120hz, that's not the case. But 85hz and lower on my old CRT really gave me a headache with 2D stuff, but at 100hz not as bad. In 3D games refresh rates (performance aside) didn't bother me as much. They say the constant exercising of your vision in a 3D environment makes it not as bad, which I can agree with based on my experiences. I don't know all the science behind it, I just knew higher refresh rates helped me in the CRT days so just in case, I use over 100hz anytime I can. It's good ol' 60hz at work hehe

Old 02-07-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Yes, back in the CRT days the Hertz (monitor refresh rate) figures truly did matter.
Screen refresh rate of LCDs are typically locked at 60 Hz max for their native resolution which is typically also the highest resolution the monitor support provided the video/graphics card can support those settings, too. So, I am curious to find out what settings you were using?

Who knows what type of a system the OP has or what he is using it for, it is impossible to really guess the outcome without having him try it for himself to see.

OP, if you got the funds, try it. It won't be worse than what you got so you really don't have anything to worry about but do check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWEpIwNDeCA
Thanks for posting that video. It sounds like the practical answer is, it isn't a night and day difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers