Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2017, 01:34 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,020 times

Advertisements

Hello all you database developers. Please be more restrictive or give more options to refine searches. Like when I do a Monster.com search for Mechanical Engineers within 50 miles of 60622, there SHOULD NOT BE A SEARCH RESULT OF OVER 1000 JOBS.

AND THE SEARCH SHOULD NOT INCLUDES LISTINGS THAT DO NOT PERTAIN TO THE SEARCH TERMS. LIKE A BIOMEDICAL TECHNICIAN OR DIESEL MECHANIC.

I consider many DB searches now "JUNK DATABASE ENGINES."

Like computerjobs.com, also
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 02:31 AM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Most of such database needs to be very carefully customized for you needs. Go back and make sure you answered all questions correctly when you registered. All your keywords and specific interests need to be precise. Your location and the exact area where you want to work.
Then pay attention to the expiration date of the offered jobs.
You need to use right combination of specific words to narrow the job offers... etc.
Narrowing your search criteria will help you focus your job search and will give you more relevant job listings to review and less non-relevant job listings to weed through.
Use Google tools to learn the best strategy , and their tips how to succeed in a job search.
Good luck!

Last edited by elnina; 02-02-2017 at 02:49 AM..

Old 02-02-2017, 03:15 AM

Uh... I just discovered that if I do a search with "Mechanical Engineer Solidworks" - then that gets rid of a lot of junk searches. Solidworks is one of the CAD software typically used by Mech Engs, too.

But I think these popular Job Search engines purposely "PAD" general searches to hide the FACT THAT THERE ARE HARDLY ANY JOBS.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:25 PM

Uh... I thought it was "end of story" but no... I go to Dice.com and I do a search for "Technical Writer Robohelp" and I get 1609 jobs. So this further specification stuff just doesn't work all the time.

I REALLY THINK THESE JUNK JOB SEARCHES ARE A CONSPIRACY TO HIDE THE FACT THAT THERE REALLY AREN'T MANY JOBS OUT THERE!

And I think many Jobhunt DB engines ARE NOW JUNK. REALLY, DB PEOPLE SHOULD "GET WITH IT!"

Old 02-04-2017, 07:20 AM

And you know what? Back during the HOT JOBS market in the Y2K / Dot com era, I never noticed Job Search engines with such JUNK DB Searches. I especially stopped looking at Computerjobs.com for that reason.

Old 02-07-2017, 04:39 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,714 times
Is it somehow possible that in the past twenty years you were never told to put your phrases in quotes when dealing with a search engine? "Technical writer" for example.You can't blame the db developer for using the data you provided. It's not a junk search. It's you not knowing how to use the tool and not bothering to RTFM. The advanced search link on Dice even makes it easy for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers