Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 01:38 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times

Advertisements

Other then ebay or craigslist is there a store where I could sell a used dell laptop. I saw one online where you send it to them but I was looking for a place where I could take it in. From state to state I know small stores would vary but thought a possible chain. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 01:43 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Used computers have VERY little value. If you sell it to a store, they're going to have to put some staff time into it, then sell it for a profit. Craigslist is your best bet.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:21 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,118 times
Well, I wouldn't say very little, but certainly don't expect to reap any good amount for it. Any store taking it in will still have to take the time to inspect it, clean it, reinstall software, and then market it. All that takes time ... which is money, so if there's no profit in it, they're not going to bother.

What's the model, configuration, and condition (dents, scratches, non-functional aspects, etc.) anyways?

Old 10-21-2010, 02:56 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,081 times
If you are in Portland OR, you could recycle at Free Geek. I took my ancient Apple system there after buying a new iMac. It's a very great idea and I understand other cities are trying to emulate what they're doing.

I was able to watch them remove the hard drive and wipe it with a high tech thingy which actually takes out all the data. I'd done a Delete before going there, but you know on a regular delete the data is still reachable by someone knowledgeable in computers.

So If you're not in Portland, you could search your area for a similar organization. This concept is being emulated nationwide, I understand.

PS Yes it's true, one would not be getting any money for it, but one is doing a good thing.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:40 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
Thank you for your suggestion. On the internet I saw a site called cash for laptops I think. They send you a box to send your computer and then give you what it is worth. There are estimates of what they will pay.
My computer is a dell inspirion. Right now it has the blue screen,scratches,and a key fell off which I have. I purchased a new one so just want to sell the old.
Macrina that is nice idea though about donating. What ever I do I need them to clean the computer out of my info cause I am clueless.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:56 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,098 times
Sell it on Craigslist or eBay. I sold my old laptop years ago (it was 3 years itself), and I sold it for pretty good money. Stores will offer you very little in comparison.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:57 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
Thank you for your suggestion. On the internet I saw a site called cash for laptops I think. They send you a box to send your computer and then give you what it is worth. There are estimates of what they will pay.
My computer is a dell inspirion. Right now it has the blue screen,scratches,and a key fell off which I have. I purchased a new one so just want to sell the old.
Macrina that is nice idea though about donating. What ever I do I need them to clean the computer out of my info cause I am clueless.
This is the important part, for sure. Especially if you sell it to anyone you don't know and trust. Don't lose sight of this part.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:02 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
Inspiron ... what model number exactly? Blue screen (of death) ... that suggests the Windows OS is corrupted in some way already.

Quote:
See my direct message ...

Old 10-22-2010, 07:38 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
You might get $10 at a pawn shop. You probably just need to find where you can recycle it, but take the HD out first and physically destroy the drive.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:04 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,268,313 times
My brother-in-law wants them in any condition. He has a business where he repairs them, wipes them clean, and resells them. You can DM me if you want the details and I'll forward your email to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers