Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 06:55 AM

5,576 posts, read 6,504,647 times

Advertisements

I have Windows 10. Today I got on my computer and the tool bar at the bottom, that shows all the icons for volume, internet access (availability), as several others that I don't need or use, are all gone. The whole interface (?) ie desktop that comes up when the computer is turned on, is different as well. Everything is smaller, including this CD page that I am writing on now. Font is very small.......

I use only AOL Gold or Google Chrome to access the Internet. Right now I am using Google Chrome. The icon is not showing on the bottom left next to the windows icon. Whenever I am on Google Chrome or AOL Gold the icon shows at the bottom to let me know these are open. Nothing showing right now.

I clicked on the Windows icon on the bottom left and it opened a box, I clicked on "Settings" and the only thing that happened is a big blue box opened with the icon (a wheel, or a nut, whatever the setting is) and nothing else.

I did shut down the PC for a short time to allow it to reboot or to reconnect with the internet service. Nothing changed.

What happened, and can any of you help me get this issue corrected?

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 07:20 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,020 times
There are CRAZY COMPUTER HACKERS everywhere! Your setup's been hacked! Best thing to do to combat this is to know how to fix your PC very well yourself, too! Or maybe I should write a short book on amazon on how to un-mess the crap mess these _ _ _ _ people do!

Old 11-04-2017, 07:46 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,566,640 times
Did you inadvertently sign in to a different account?

Old 11-04-2017, 09:55 AM

LISTEN, EVEN INTEL AND AMD CPU's HAVE SUB-PROCESSERS AND A SUB - OS's EMBEDDED WITHIN THEM!

Then, with the way Windows Programs are .NET, there could be an interface control layer for a "Subversive Hacker" to control and watch everything that you do, or even mess your system up.

So really, the best thing to do is to really know how to fix everything computer related yourself. Because these Hackers are everywhere and they are a major nuisance if you do not know how to fix what they mess up. Like you don't want to keep calling Best Buy's "GEEK Squad" now, do you?

Ok, maybe I should write a quick short book on how to keep yourself running when faced off with these hacker mess ups.

Old 11-04-2017, 10:02 AM

61,687 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Was the Win10 updated overnight?
Scan your computer for viruses/malwares.
Clean it: cookies, history, disconnect everything and restart the system again.
Report back.

Old 11-04-2017, 10:56 AM

For the small fonts viewing problem on a web page, press the Ctrl keyboard key and scroll your mouse scroll wheel.

Go to Settings -> Taskbar for your taskbar settings. There is one for the desktop Taskbar settings.

Some guy was spying on your computer remotely and he had fun messing you up. I'M SERIOUS.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:26 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
lol at some of the tin hat comments.

Old 11-04-2017, 07:23 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Try right clicking the desktop and select display settings.

If you have anyone that has access to the computer and think they are playing a joke you may want to check the monitor settings to, those would be accessed through hitting the menu button the monitor.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:46 AM

8,311 posts, read 13,444,568 times
Lodestar,

It would be nothing more than a guess work for anyone to know what might have caused this situation and also there might be multiple things happening but before making suggestions, it would always be ideal for the person to share a bit of history of their machine so those reading the thread might have a better understanding and could give you more accurate suggestions to fix the issue(s).

To elaborate on "sharing a bit of history of the machine":
- How long you had this system
- Anyone else using this machine besides yourself? If yes, do they have their own user account?
- What was the last changes you made on this system prior to this situation? (install/uninstall/delete/modify anything?)

Were there any other noticeable odd thing occurring now or before this problem?
Any error messages?
Any sudden power loss or unexpected shutdowns/reboots?

Simple things to try: Could the taskbar be minimized or set to hide when not in use? To test this, move your cursor to the bottom of the screen to see if it popped up?
See if you can hold down the Windows Key (look for Windows logo) and press R to bring up Run window?
If it came up, type control and click OK to open classic Control Panel window
or
type taskmgr and click OK to open Task Manager (to see what apps and processes running in the background, mainly focusing on the ones your user is running).

For display/icons being too small, try what was suggested, see if you can right-click anywhere on the desktop and click "Screen Resolution" from the menu and change the display resolution size (lower to make it bigger).

Old 11-09-2017, 03:09 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
While on the topic one of the old pranks is to take a screenshot of the desktop, set the taskbar to autohide, dump the icons into a folder for recovery by the victim later and set the screenshot as the background. Dead giveaway is the time on the clock.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers