Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 05:53 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times

Advertisements

This is interesting to me. I had someone stalk me from another state a number of years ago. Ever since then I have been more privacy conscious.

I've thought about setting up a fake FB but always worry about this type of thing (I've never had a real FB). I've done a couple of things on that link but not enough. I switched to Ixquick for searching which makes me feel better knowing google is not seeing all my search terms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 03:29 AM

12 posts, read 7,811 times
I would have to say that I had the same thing happen, I was going all smart and using separate Web Browser and it started pulling out people from god knows where. I used a new email account had no conversations on Facebook, no emails exchanged and yet there it goes.

Old 03-14-2018, 04:00 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
I think it would help if you sign up from anonymous/private browser.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:36 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,576,544 times
i just signed up for a fake gmail account using the alias jojo pelligrino and signed into facebook using the same alias and no pictures were suggested to me.

years ago i signed up and it suggested a few folks i knew well, i few folks i met only once, and a few strangers.

my suspicion is your mother has your email address you gave to facebock.

if anyone currently on facebock has your email/telefone # in their contact list and they give permission for facebock to read their contact lists then facebock will know there is a connection and they will suggest connections of others on your friends contact lists.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:47 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Yea, Facebook is not scanning your PC without your knowledge. Period.
A few reasons why I know this to be true.
#1 They don't NEED to. Millions of people give them TERABYTES of information every single year. Willingly. Happily. Maybe Petabytes. They don't need to troll your PC to try and get you hooked in.
#2 If they ever got CAUGHT doing this? Like conclusively caught doing this? (and do you really think they wouldn't get caught doing this?)
It would be game over for Facebook. Facebook would become a ghost town and o one would ever trust them with anything again. Even the most "pro" Facebookian would probably bail after a controversy like that.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:02 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,979,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
I recently bought a new computer and thought I would take the opportunity to open a Facebook account strictly for the purpose of business reasons, for example a company that uses Facebook rather than having their own webpage.

I signed up with a completely anonymous name and email address. I made sure that nothing was input that would indicate my name or where I work or who I was. The reason I did this was because I have no desire to "be on Facebook".

Even though I did all these things, as soon as my Facebook was created under all these criteria, my mother's picture and Facebook account came up as a recommendation to me, along with a few others. I thought maybe this was just by chance. But then yet for several days, here's my mom's picture coming up for several days. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate my Mom. But I have no desire to communicate with people on Facebook.

What the heck is going on here? How is Facebook determining who my mother is and other people when I don't put anything into the profile to indicate these things???? It makes me feel as if their software is data mining my computer and determining who owns the computer to identify me? Is this what is going on?
I suspect it got your mother's name through contact uploading. Google "How can I manage contact uploading with the Facebook App?"

Old 03-17-2018, 10:24 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
I was talking about this with my dad the other day, he was saying that police depts create fake FB pages all the time, in order to fool and catch criminals, if they can do it successfully, Im not sure why a civilian cannot do the same thing.

It would be pretty easy to set up a totally fake and anonymous email account, so this would permit you to set up a fake FB page too I would think.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:51 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,255,171 times
There is only one sure way, buy an inexpensive new laptop that has never been used before or get a used one that has been completely wiped a few times and a new operating system installed, then go to an open public wifi in a coffee shop or something like that, preferably outside your state with it so as to not be using your home ip address and use it to buy an ip program such as IBVPN or other, using a gift card to pay of it, then turn on the ip program set for another state than yours and leave it on, then set up a new email address with it and then set up a facebook account with it, then never search out anyone you know or that knows your mother because if you do then it will suggest all their friends and friends of friends.

Old 03-17-2018, 04:43 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
There is only one sure way, buy an inexpensive new laptop that has never been used before or get a used one that has been completely wiped a few times and a new operating system installed, then go to an open public wifi in a coffee shop or something like that, preferably outside your state with it so as to not be using your home ip address and use it to buy an ip program such as IBVPN or other, using a gift card to pay of it, then turn on the ip program set for another state than yours and leave it on, then set up a new email address with it and then set up a facebook account with it, then never search out anyone you know or that knows your mother because if you do then it will suggest all their friends and friends of friends.
You don't even need to buy a new machine, just boot a CD/DVD-based flavor of Linux.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:09 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
Facebook just may not be "worth it". They've got the upper hand with technology, tracking, and the Big Brother effect. It's doubtful that any of us could know the extent of their abilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers