Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 12:25 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times

Advertisements

I have a Windows Server V12 and when I use a PC to remote to it the text on the screen is really small. I cannot figure out how to get a better screen resolution. The screen on the server itself has the correct resolution and appears as you would expect.

I'm asking here because there are a lot of very good techs on CD.

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 12:35 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I have a Windows Server V12 and when I use a PC to remote to it the text on the screen is really small. I cannot figure out how to get a better screen resolution. The screen on the server itself has the correct resolution and appears as you would expect.

I'm asking here because there are a lot of very good techs on CD.

Help!
If you are using remote desktop from windows, it should use the same settings as the client (Your PC). Try changing the display settings (font size) on the client. What are you using? and what version of Windows?

Old 07-08-2018, 02:44 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
If you are using remote desktop from windows, it should use the same settings as the client (Your PC). Try changing the display settings (font size) on the client. What are you using? and what version of Windows?
This is my experience with RDP as well. When I remote into my servers (Windows 2012) the screen is set to my desktop resolution (these are virtual servers with no physical monitor).

But if I use TeamViewer to log into my tower (or LogMeIn to a client machine) from my laptop / tablet / phone (that have smaller resolutions than the client does), the screen is scaled down to fit, so I have to zoom in.

The difference is using a tool like RDP that logs into an account on the machine, creating a unique desktop, vs. screen sharing tech that just shows you the desktop that's already logged in (based on the hardware on the other end of the connection).

Old 07-08-2018, 04:46 PM

Windows 10 Pro
Windows Server V11 SP1 (I thought it told me V12 earlier, but using System tells me V11)

This is the file my remote shortcut calls.

mstsc.exe

Pic of screen captured on the server

Same screen captured on PC

Old 07-09-2018, 12:33 AM

8,324 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Tek,

Are you not able to adjust the related setting under DISPLAY tab prior to connecting?
Attached Thumbnails
Remote into Windows server small text. Grrrr-mstsc-display.png  

Old 07-09-2018, 12:43 AM

Yes. I went from full screen to 1024x768. All it does is change the size of the window on my PC. The text is tiny at all resolutions.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:58 AM

Dinked around with it. Made the text size on the server huge and dropped from full screen to large. Connected display covers about 1/3 of the PC screen, but at least it's legible.

Still think I should be able to set it so I see the same as I see when on the PC.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:02 AM

8,324 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Quote:
Dinked around with it. Made the text size on the server huge and dropped from full screen to large. Connected display covers about 1/3 of the PC screen, but at least it's legible.

Still think I should be able to set it so I see the same as I see when on the PC.
Well, at this point, I am leaning towards an issue or limitation with the display (at your end) or the display drivers on your computer.
Also, what video cable are you using on your computer?

Also, try different resolution settings on your own computer prior to connecting.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:02 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
Quote:

Change font size (DPI) on your PC, NOT the server, those settings will be ignored in a remote desktop session and in fact, if you try to change font size in a remote session those settings will be greyed out.

You can leave it full screen, that will not matter. If your PC is set to 1920x1080 then your remote desktop should be the same unless you set it to a lower resolution.

How to Change Font Size in Windows 10

BUT I think I just found your solution. There is a zoom feature in Win 10 Remote Desktop not present in older versions of Windows.

https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/2015/06/29/zoom-windows-10-remote-desktop-connections-to-older-versions-of-windows-to-improve-your-experience-on-a-hi-dpi-client-display/

Old 07-09-2018, 10:40 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,801,295 times
Are you using a high resolution monitor like 4k display or ultra wide? The image that you posted is what I get when I use Remote Desktop on my 4k external monitor. Text is very very small . I get around this by reducing the resolution on the external monitor. The quality of scaling differs vastly among display manufacturers.
Attached Thumbnails
Remote into Windows server small text. Grrrr-screen-shot-2018-07-09-9.38.45  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers