Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 09:48 AM

175 posts, read 913,882 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a free software that will make the background of an image transparent?

For example, I'm wanting to place a clipart image on top of a solid background and don't want the white square background behind it.

I tried using Microsoft Photo Editor, but it created a "choppy" look around the image. And I read that Corel PaintShop Pro would do the trick so I downloaded it from CNET, but the setup software would never install on my computer (it would crash my computer each time I attempted to open it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 09:52 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Irfanview

Old 06-11-2011, 12:03 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penner View Post
I tried using Microsoft Photo Editor, but it created a "choppy" look around the image.
You need to either A)fringe it color that matches the background or B)use an image format that supports alpha transparency.

Formats that support transparency like .gif are either 100% transparent or a color, by matching the background color you can get a smooth transition. For example the .gif similes on this forum are designed for light colored background. If it was darker background they would look like this:

Other formats like .png support alpha transparency, colors can have transparency and let the background color come through:

Last edited by thecoalman; 08-01-2020 at 05:30 PM..

Old 06-12-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You need to either A)fringe it color that matches the background or B)use an image format that supports alpha transparency.

Formats that support transparency like .gif are either 100% transparent or a color, by matching the background color you can get a smooth transition. For example the .gif similes on this forum are designed for light colored background. If it was darker background they would look like this:

Other formats like .png support alpha transparency, colors can have transparency and let the background color come through:

I have the image saved as both .gif and .png... but then what? I'm not sure how to use the alpha transparency "method". Is there free software that will make the background transparent? I have ifranview (as Tek_Freek mentioned above), but I don't see any toolbar options about alpha transparency or background transparancy.

I guess I'm wanting to do something like this, but with using a different software than PaintShop Pro.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:53 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
Quote:
I have the image saved as both .gif and .png... but then what? I'm not sure how to use the alpha transparency "method". Is there free software that will make the background transparent? I have ifranview (as Tek_Freek mentioned above), but I don't see any toolbar options about alpha transparency or background transparancy.

I guess I'm wanting to do something like this, but with using a different software than PaintShop Pro.
Not sure in Ifranview, but I know that in Paint.NET you can use the eraser on the background to make it transparent.

This might help with the gif in Irfanview Crosswinds Cadre: *Tutorials - Making Transparencies in Irfanview

Old 06-12-2011, 03:07 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
I have the image saved as both .gif and .png... but then what? I'm not sure how to use the alpha transparency "method". Is there free software that will make the background transparent?
GIMP is another free editing program.

The method the author used in that article is not how I would go about it and if I were to use that method the instructions would be different because I use Photoimpact for image editing. It would work and even work well for some images but to get a seamless edge you need to take a few more steps in most cases. If you look at the image that was used for an example it's already fringed in white:

This is what the edge looks like when blow it up:

It's already been prepared for use on a white background if you were going to use .gif, if you were to use this image on dark background it would have jagged white edges. If you were going to use .png you'd actually want to get rid of this fringe.

In any event assuming the background was one color I'd use the magic wand to select it and then invert the selection. Now convert the selection to an object. In other words everything is now selected accept the background. From there you could do many things with it like set a shadow, paint on the edges or if I was going to use .png set a soft edge which will make edges transparent. These would all provide the means to get a seamless transition.

Sorry I can't be of more help but the "how" is going to vary depending on what you're using. Irfanview is great little program but it probably doesn't have the features needed to do what you want.

Last edited by thecoalman; 08-01-2020 at 05:30 PM..

Old 06-12-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
GIMP is another free editing program.
Thanks for the GIMP suggestion! I *think* (and hope!) that might work.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Not sure in Ifranview, but I know that in Paint.NET you can use the eraser on the background to make it transparent.
Thanks for your help! I think Paint.net (which seems to be the same thing as GIMP, I think) might work. [fingers crossed]

Old 12-12-2018, 07:27 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edulofter View Post
This is a very outdated problem.
Says the noobie replying to a thread.... from 2011. How find you even find this?

Old 12-12-2018, 07:28 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edulofter View Post
This is a very outdated problem.
Says the noobie replying to a thread.... from 2011. How find you even find this? Ohhhh... you work for ClipArtMax or are a bot...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers