Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2019, 06:58 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,943,333 times

Advertisements

I was trying to get my Insurance Card from Farmers Ins and was blocked by "GOTCHA"the robot thing, then was informed I would have to go to IE 11.MicroSoft says phasing out Win 7,8 and10 to 10 edge.
10 Edge has no modem and cannot be used with dial up.
My computer tech mentioned DSL Basic with Frontier,10 Edge which equals IE 11.as said before all greek to me.All my reading has shown nothing but negative about Frontier.
He said he would tailor a Dell Computer with 10 Edge,Basic DSL and Chrome, like my Win 7 since my 7 is getting old and 10 might have trouble operating.
What are the feelings about Chrome?I do have Mozilla Fire Fox with no trouble.
I need all the help I can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 07:06 PM

6,167 posts, read 5,126,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I was trying to get my Insurance Card from Farmers Ins and was blocked by "GOTCHA"the robot thing, then was informed I would have to go to IE 11.MicroSoft says phasing out Win 7,8 and10 to 10 edge.
My computer tech mentioned DSL Basic with Frontier,10 Edge which equals IE 11.as said before all greek to me.All my reading has shown nothing but negative about Frontier.
He said he would tailor a Dell Computer with 10 Edge,Basic DSL and Chrome, like my Win 7 since my 7 is getting old and 10 might have trouble operating.
What are the feelings about Chrome?I do have Mozilla Fire Fox with no trouble.
I need all the help I can get.
Sorry, can't help but laugh. Is this a real post? Is someone still using dial up in this era?

Old 05-22-2019, 09:50 PM

21,793 posts, read 28,161,485 times
Chrome is great.

Get cable internet. Frontier is one option. The others depend on where you live. You could bet the cheapest option and still see a massive increase in speed. I didn’t realize dial up even existed anymore

Old 05-23-2019, 06:52 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,109,437 times
Quote:
then was informed I would have to go to IE 11

This is an issue with browser support. Banks and other sites like insurance companies are going to be especially vigilant about this because of unpatched security issues in older outdated browsers. IE11 itself is outdated.

Which OS do you have? If it's XP or Vista you really need to move on. There is multiple security issues with running XP itself and since browser support is almost non existent that is going to have security issues too. Vista will be in same boat soon if it isn't already. The other problem is many of those outdated browsers simply aren't compatible with new ways of designing web pages leaving them non functioning or all screwed up.

Quote:

I believe you are confusing Windows 10 and the Edge browser. Windows 10 will support dial up connection as long as the hardware manufacturer of the modem supports it. Quick search brings up this one that is compatible. Which browser you are using is irrelevant to the connection type:

https://www.amazon.com/External-Voic...71587487&psc=1

DSL is next step up from dial up if available in your area. I'm not even sure how you manage to view most sites with dial up connection. You really should look into get faster connection.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:10 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,943,333 times
My main question is,is Frontier for DSL a reliable company,I have them for Telco service wiih no problems in 4 years but have read a lot of negative reports.Another poster answered question on browser,Chrome which was recommended by my computer tech.He didn't care for IE which is 11 Edge,I have always liked Windows.
I have used dialup for 15 plus years,I would toss computer if I could but have to have it in todays world,I do not live in the fast lane of life,dialup cost only $119 per tear.Life today is to complicated for me.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:57 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,139,124 times
I had DSL for a few years. It was a bit slower than Cable Modem service, but not horribly so. Since you've never had anything that fast, I predict you'll be just fine with it.

The part in your original post about getting a new Dell computer configured especially for you is a bit concerning. Consider getting a Chromebox instead. It's a much simpler computer to maintain than a Windows 10 computer, and far less likely to get you in trouble with viruses and updates than a Windows PC. I bet it's also much cheaper than the Dell! See if your computer guy will set you up with one of these, instead.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E1688322...82E16883221514

Old 05-24-2019, 12:09 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,109,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I had DSL for a few years. It was a bit slower than Cable Modem service,

I have 3Mbps DSL connection at one house. It's more than adequate for the average Joe unless you were going to watch very high definition video and/or you have a lot of people utilizing service it's plenty of bandwidth. Another issue may be if you were using online backup service or anything else if you might utilize to upload a lot of data, the upload speed is very slow. The only time I have any issues is if the download of MS updates kick in while I'm watching video.

This is what I get for video streaming from Comcast, Ironically over Verizon DSL. Note I had to reduce image from 1920*1080 to 1600*900 to upload here.

It can be a little choppy at times because I think they may reduce the framerate instead of dropping into lower quality mode if they detect low bandwidth . Occasionally it will drop into the low quality mode which is actually way too low for watching on large screen, that only lasts a few seconds and it will go back to full quality, they need medium quality stream. Scenes where you have flashing lights and a lot of action can also be less that desirable.

That quality video will max out 3Mbps connection, if you had two people using the connection it will not work well at all.

Any DSL connection is going to be an enormous leap ahead of dial up. A 3Mbps connection is roughly 50 times faster than dial up.

Last edited by thecoalman; 08-01-2020 at 05:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers