Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 12:48 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,463,666 times

Advertisements

Whenever I decide to build computers, I'll hit eBay to try and find a bargain on Windows or Office (unless I decide to use Linux), and noticed the there are a bunch of sellers on eBay that sell licenses for Microsoft Office for like $3 or $4? They say it's fully legal (apparently their academic licenses?) They promise 5TB of OneDrive space and so forth. The only "catch" is that you can't register with your own email address, they provide one to you.

Is this actually legal? And if not, how is it that eBay continues to allow these folks to sell this stuff? I mean, great for the buyer ($3 for Office? $4 for Windows) but just seems sketchy to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 01:11 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Whenever I decide to build computers, I'll hit eBay to try and find a bargain on Windows or Office (unless I decide to use Linux), and noticed the there are a bunch of sellers on eBay that sell licenses for Microsoft Office for like $3 or $4? They say it's fully legal (apparently their academic licenses?) They promise 5TB of OneDrive space and so forth. The only "catch" is that you can't register with your own email address, they provide one to you.

Is this actually legal? And if not, how is it that eBay continues to allow these folks to sell this stuff? I mean, great for the buyer ($3 for Office? $4 for Windows) but just seems sketchy to me.
It's not legit. Will they come after you? Probably not as a consumer, as a business, who knows?

I did find one that had great prices and I did the research and I could not find anything to indicate that they were not legit. They are even listed as a Microsoft partner. I bought a couple of copies of MS Office.

It probably is too good to be true but the products worked and activated just fine. They are slightly older versions, maybe that has something to do with it? You can use your own email/MS account.

https://atlanticdiscountstore.com/

Old 08-16-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
It's not legit. Will they come after you? Probably not as a consumer, as a business, who knows?

I did find one that had great prices and I did the research and I could not find anything to indicate that they were not legit. They are even listed as a Microsoft partner. I bought a couple of copies of MS Office.

It probably is too good to be true but the products worked and activated just fine. They are slightly older versions, maybe that has something to do with it? You can use your own email/MS account.

https://atlanticdiscountstore.com/
Wow, $379.99 just for Microsoft Word?????? Holy high priced Batman!

Old 08-16-2019, 02:20 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times
Quote:
Wow, $379.99 just for Microsoft Word?????? Holy high priced Batman!
Where did you see that?

MS Word 2016 $40
https://atlanticdiscountstore.com/ms_word2016_001.php

MS Word 2019 $42
https://atlanticdiscountstore.com/ms_word2019_001.php

But, why even buy anything individually?

MS Office 2016 Pro Plus is $32
https://atlanticdiscountstore.com/ms...016pro_006.php

Old 08-16-2019, 09:10 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,595,863 times
why buy ms office when there is libreoffice for free?

Old 08-16-2019, 10:15 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,514,140 times
Realize that some of those activation codes can be scams. They can only be used 1x. Who is to say they are not reselling the same number more than 1x

Old 08-17-2019, 06:50 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,280,641 times
If you do a search, there are no shortage of these being scams or OEM licenses that have already been used.

If its for occasional use, and Office is what you want. Consider just getting a live.com account, which will give you the online versions of the basic O365 office suite.

If you have O365 from work, check w/ IT on the license/tier type you have. I think E3 and above includes 5 installs of office per user. For the most part, most only have 1 or 2 instances (workstation and laptop). Everywhere I've worked, they've allowed the staff to use the extras for home use.

Old 08-18-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
If you do a search, there are no shortage of these being scams or OEM licenses that have already been used.

If its for occasional use, and Office is what you want. Consider just getting a live.com account, which will give you the online versions of the basic O365 office suite.

If you have O365 from work, check w/ IT on the license/tier type you have. I think E3 and above includes 5 installs of office per user. For the most part, most only have 1 or 2 instances (workstation and laptop). Everywhere I've worked, they've allowed the staff to use the extras for home use.
I am IT at work! I'm not necessarily interested in purchasing O365, I was just curious how these folks are getting away with selling this on eBay? I mean, I used to purchase Windows OS on eBay, but that was usually the genuine CD. I think the last OS I purchased on there was XP.

Old 08-18-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Where did you see that?

MS Word 2016 $40
https://atlanticdiscountstore.com/ms_word2016_001.php

MS Word 2019 $42
https://atlanticdiscountstore.com/ms_word2019_001.php

But, why even buy anything individually?

MS Office 2016 Pro Plus is $32
https://atlanticdiscountstore.com/ms...016pro_006.php
What I saw was the DVD.

Old 08-19-2019, 04:05 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,280,641 times
Quote:
I am IT at work! I'm not necessarily interested in purchasing O365, I was just curious how these folks are getting away with selling this on eBay? I mean, I used to purchase Windows OS on eBay, but that was usually the genuine CD. I think the last OS I purchased on there was XP.
I guess no different than people getting away with selling counterfeit goods. Be it jewlery, golf clubs, clothing, etc.

Most people also don't have a good understanding of how these licenses work or are enforced. Or don't think it's weird/suspicious when they're only paying $40 when everyone else is selling it for $180.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers