Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2022, 09:09 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times

Advertisements

Lately when I have a Google window open, search for something and open a link(s), when I try to return to Google I get a blank screen with a blinking cursor, attempting to open a new Google page through a favorites link yields the same result. I must restart to get back to Google, a real PITA.

Anyone have similar issues and find a fix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2022, 05:49 PM

8,305 posts, read 13,439,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Lately when I have a Google window open, search for something and open a link(s), when I try to return to Google I get a blank screen with a blinking cursor, attempting to open a new Google page through a favorites link yields the same result. I must restart to get back to Google, a real PITA.

Anyone have similar issues and find a fix?
If this is only happening with Google Chrome, or a specific browser, I always tell people to start with the deletion of their browser cache, cookies, etc.

When the browser is open (single tab), hold down CTRL + SHIFT then press DEL key and select the same options as seen in the attached screenshot.
Note: I recommend selecting the "active logins/passwords" box is either if the machine and/or an online account was compromised OR the user is experiencing issues logging into a site (where they are certain they are using correct creds).

If still no luck, check and update if there is a newer version!

Then, you may have to suspect your browser extension, if there were any, by simply starting your browser in "private" aka "Incognito" mode.
If the issue continues, then next logical step would be to backup your bookmarks/favorites (if needed) and then uninstall Google Chrome, then remove the Google folder located at:
"C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local".

You can simply do a START > RUN > type: %localappdata% > OK
From the opening Windows Explorer window, locate and either rename or delete the Google folder.

Then re-install Google Chrome using the latest version.
Attached Thumbnails
Fun? and Games With Windows 10-how-clear-browser-cache.jpg  

Old 09-17-2022, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
If this is only happening with Google Chrome, or a specific browser, I always tell people to start with the deletion of their browser cache, cookies, etc.

Sorry, maybe I didn't explain the issue well, it's not Chrome but simply having a Google search tab open and after searching and hitting a link, when trying to return to the search window I get a blank screen with a blinking cursor that doesn't allow any info entry. Hitting the Google link in favorites yields the same result and it seems only a restart corrects it.

Unrelated but I've also noticed that when I got an automatic Windows update it changed a number of baseline settings in a CAM program I use-NOT GOOD!

Thanks for the reply!

Old 09-17-2022, 12:10 PM

8,305 posts, read 13,439,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Sorry, maybe I didn't explain the issue well, it's not Chrome but simply having a Google search tab open and after searching and hitting a link, when trying to return to the search window I get a blank screen with a blinking cursor that doesn't allow any info entry. Hitting the Google link in favorites yields the same result and it seems only a restart corrects it.

Unrelated but I've also noticed that when I got an automatic Windows update it changed a number of baseline settings in a CAM program I use-NOT GOOD!

Thanks for the reply!
Yes, some vital info was, and seems, still is not provided hence my comment:

Quote:
If this is only happening with Google Chrome, or a specific browser,
- What browser were you using? Has this happened with different browsers, if so which ones have you tried it with so far?
- Have you tried clearing its cache as outlined in my previous post (referring to the screenshot)?
- What have you done to troubleshoot the issue thus far?

With computers only, ALL issues will be either hardware or software related. This statement obviously doesn't cover service or electric outages.
Always try to narrow down the issue into one of these first. In your case, it is safe to say, it is a software issue.
Software issues with Windows go into 3 groups: Application, User (profile) then (Windows) System. This order is also from the least destructive to most so any changes you need to make, should typically follow the same path.

Application: If the issue exists in just one application. At that point, you focus on that application (recall my first suggestion, clearing cache, etc.).
Mind you, uninstalling and re-installing a specific app is still in this group.

If multiple applications suffering from the same condition then the issue is likely to be based on User profile or Windows System.
So, when I am troubleshooting an unknown issue, I try to dissect the issue so I can figure out which one of the groups it belongs to so I know how to go about troubleshooting and fixing it.

If there was another user profile on the same computer (a good reason to have multiple profiles, as a backdoor or for troubleshooting purposes). I'd login to the second user profile. You can create one too.
For this issue, it can even be a standard user account. it doesn't have to be an Administrator.
Then you login and check to see if the same issue still exists or not. If it didn't, the issue was with your local user profile.

If it still did, then you know it is a system wide issue. This could go all the way to fresh installing Windows as the last resort, of course.

When troubleshooting an issue (not just computers), in order to find the root cause and the culprit(s):
You need to first identify the issue correctly. To be able to do this, you need to get as much details about it such as what was happening, with what, since when, etc., replicate the issue once or twice to ascertain the accuracy of the details about it.

Then you can either make a list of suspects and try to narrow down the list or share this info with someone else to do the logical troubleshooting for you. The more relevant the details, the better the help you get.

Though, quite possibly, a completely a different issue, same process with the CAM app issue:
- What exactly is the app? Name, version, etc.
- What baseline info that got changed? How was it changed (from what to what)?
- Are you able to change it back or not?
- Have you done an online search to see if this is a widespread issue?

Also check the website of the app's vendor to see if they have it listed in their KB/FAQs/Support page.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 09-17-2022 at 12:27 PM..

Old 09-17-2022, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Yes, some vital info was, and seems, still is not provided hence my comment:

- What browser were you using? Has this happened with different browsers, if so which ones have you tried it with so far?
- Have you tried clearing its cache as outlined in my previous post (referring to the screenshot)?
- What have you done to troubleshoot the issue thus far?

It was the Edge browser that comes with WIN 10, haven't tried it with another. I probably should try it with another but at this point it's more a petty annoyance than anything else. I probably should have mentioned this doesn't happen immediately, I can usually do a search and return to the search window several times before it happens, sometimes I can open another favorite and then open Google from a favorites link normally, sometimes not. Not really a heavy user, other than Email I mostly use the laptop for the CAD/CAM I use with a CNC wood router I built. Currently working with the painting/assembly of a CNC project so haven't fooled with the laptop very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers