Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2023, 09:53 AM

8,948 posts, read 4,663,936 times

Advertisements

Somewhere in the past, there were a couple threads like this for Win 10, but I couldn't find them.

Some of the common complaints about Win 11 is the amount of private or personal information the software sends to other people's servers, in its normal course of operations, and the inclusion of Norton, which repeatedly asks the user to send them money.

Another issue: some of us old folk want it to function like Win 7.

So I am opening this thread as a place where we can post links to sites and utilities to deal with the above issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2023, 09:58 AM

8,948 posts, read 4,663,936 times
I wasn't able to find an automatic utility to do these things, but here is a list of actions to take to reduce information flow back to Microsoft.

https://makmodo.com/stop-windows-11-from-spying/
Aug 2021
Quote:
Microsoft Windows 11 just came out recently, and people have received it with pleasure. But one thing that you might not have known is that Windows 11 talks back to Microsoft and shares data about the user behaviors and details regarding their PCs. Microsoft even knows the exact GPS location of your PC and several other details such as applications you use, websites your visit, the music you listen to, etc. And to be honest, most of us would not be proud to have such details publicized. To help you, today, we’ll show you how to stop Windows 11 from spying on you.
And this claims to be a process to remove Norton (at least thru Win 10):
https://www.lifewire.com/uninstall-n...mputer-4589373
Nov 2021
Quote:
This article explains how to uninstall Norton Antivirus on computers with Windows 10, Windows 8, or Windows 7 and Mac computers.

How to Uninstall Norton Antivirus on Windows
You may want to remove Norton antivirus software from your PC or Mac if you switch to another protection app or want to uninstall Norton temporarily while you refresh your hard drive. In some situations, it may be sufficient to turn off or disable the software. In others, completely uninstalling Norton is the only solution.

Old 11-29-2023, 02:44 PM

1,100 posts, read 649,920 times
I'm not aware of a reason to not uninstall Norton.

Old 11-30-2023, 06:29 AM

15,460 posts, read 7,511,039 times
I never have to uninstall Norton. I build my own PCs and buy Windows separately. More expensive, yes, but I control the install. Zero bloatware and no Norton, ever.

If I buy a laptop, I'll either buy it with Linux and install Windows over that, or wipe it and install from a new install media.

Old 12-01-2023, 07:53 AM

666 posts, read 426,694 times
"Removing" spyware from Windows, in a nutshell.

good luck with that lmfaoooo
Attached Thumbnails
Win 11 Spyware Removal and Customizing-sweeping-ocean-overwhelmed.gif  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers