Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 09:16 AM

24 posts, read 113,950 times

Advertisements

My very, very old Dell computer with a very, very old Word Perfect program crashed disastrously, and I'm trying to coax it back to life. The current repair guy is running out of options, and I don't know how to determine if there's someone around with other options. By any chance, does anyone know a brilliant computer repair place in NYC (preferably Manhattan) or - worst case - data recovery?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 12:04 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,513,738 times
Can you give us more details as to what happened to it?

Old 07-02-2008, 04:24 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,819,262 times
data recovery in manhattan - Google Search

Buncha places. Hope you enjoy spending money. The best ones will tear the drive apart in a clean room and read the data (if they can) directly off the discs. Figure a few hundred dollars at least. Most don't charge except for shipping if they can't recover any data, and no guarantee that what they recover is what you want. Most should offer to return the data on a new drive and ship back/destroy the old.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:58 AM

24 posts, read 113,950 times
Thanks, Radek - the latest news is that the problem seems to be the hard drive controller. I haven't talked to the computer whiz today yet, but from the message I got, it seems that the HD itself would be fine, if we could find a replacement for the hard drive controller - in case you know of any source (we could buy it from elsewhere in the country, I suppose?) for old parts. Other than that, I may have to bankrupt myself on data recovery.

TekFreek, I can use Google, too - I was hoping for recommendations from people who'd had experience with any of the places.

Any suggestions?

Old 07-03-2008, 09:28 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,108,855 times
Maybe it's time for a new computer ? !

Old 07-03-2008, 07:12 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,153,321 times
I read a hint that said it might be possible to get the thing going by unplugging the wires connected to the controller and plugging them in again. Simple but iffy.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:28 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,980,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cece77 View Post
Thanks, Radek - the latest news is that the problem seems to be the hard drive controller. I haven't talked to the computer whiz today yet, but from the message I got, it seems that the HD itself would be fine, if we could find a replacement for the hard drive controller - in case you know of any source (we could buy it from elsewhere in the country, I suppose?) for old parts. Other than that, I may have to bankrupt myself on data recovery.

TekFreek, I can use Google, too - I was hoping for recommendations from people who'd had experience with any of the places.

Any suggestions?
I am assuming it is the controller interface on the drive itself you are referring to, not simply the built-in controller on the mother board? If it is merely the MB, that is simple as most likely the drive will work in another system, though a controller card may be needed depending on how outdated the interface is.

If it is the controller interface on the drive itself, the easiest way would be to search eBay or other online resources that might carry an exact match to that drive (even some slightly different models of the same brand may work as well if the parameters of the drive match). All you do at that point is take off the bad controller interface on the hard drive and replace it with the one you found.

It is actually much easier to recover from a drive in this type of scenario than if the drives mechanical workings were failing.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:18 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,513,738 times
OP, Thanks for the additional information.

Nomander's advice is where I'd head if the data is that critical.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:30 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,810,102 times
This happened to me a while ago with an external drive. The fix was to go buy a new usb drive case. I just swapped the drive from one box to the other, and it fired right up.

If you can buy an external drive case that it fits, you could get it running for $25.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers