Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2008, 12:51 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times

Advertisements

Bear with me, I know not what I ask...I just bought a new 22" HP 2207 monitor and I love the colors, but everything looks so stretched out and a little distorted. Is this just my eyes adjusting from a 17" and I'll get used to it, or do I have something set wrong? Actually, I didn't set anything, I plugged it in and away it went. I feel like it takes forever to get to the end of a sentence. I'd like for the text to be a little tighter since I proofread about 80% of the day.

One other question - I've done the volume adjusting on the control panel, the keyboard, and the monitor itself since it has built in speakers. The sound is weaker than I would have imagined and certainly weaker than I would like. Again, am I confused or do I just say it is what it is and go on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 07:18 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Check your documentation for the monitors native resolution. This is, supposedly, the resolution at which the monitor displays best.

As for the sound, unplug and replug both ends to make sure they are seated correctly. Give 'em a good push. Also try the connection on the front of your PC if it has one, or the rear if you're already using ones on the front.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:44 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Heh. Wide screen monitor. Go into your control panel display section and try some different resolutions. You may need to letterbox to get rid of the distortion.

Sound - you probably have a line out connector and a speaker connector on your sound card. Try swapping the plug from one to the other.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:08 PM

646 posts, read 1,639,741 times
Ok if it is a widescreen monitor you need to set it to a widescreen resolution. Hopefully your graphics card supports this. Most widescreen monitors have a 16 x 10 aspect ratio so what you need to do is scroll through the resolution settings and apply the one which has the same aspect ratio of 16 x 10.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:01 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
I'm slowly getting used to it, although what a letterbox is makes me scratch my head...and a graphics card that supports it...hmmm...don't have a clue on that one.

I don't think there's much to adjust. It does some sort of self-adjusting thing when I turn it on, or at least it says it is...some 1050 x something.

Everything is so wonderful now - you no longer get directions, you get a sheet of pictures that make no sense to the clueless. Sigh. I guess I'll just punch buttons on it until something comes up in a language I can comprehend. I think I'm too basic for you guys, lol! Maybe wander back over to the store today and get a crash course. If I can't read it, I can't understand it - but I think the problem was more of a change for my eyes than anything else. So used to the smaller screen, I feel like I'm sitting in an IMAX or something...

EDIT:
1680 x 1050 - found it! And so much better, the screen is just WIDE...

Still having some difficulty with the speakers, which I have in the back of the CPU and the monitor. No change if I move to the front...I can't imagine the speakers could be too terribly powerful and it all sounds very good through the headphones, just not if I try unplugging everything and listening to music or something. I use headphones daily with my work, so I don't guess that's a big deal...just curious.

Thank you all - at least the text is tight now.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 08-19-2008 at 02:13 AM..

Old 08-20-2008, 01:04 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,443,330 times
If you hve tried moving the audio connector from the monitor to various conections on the back of the desktop, normally the green one is amplified and a black one could be line in or line out. You really need to see the icon.

You may also try looking at all the settings on the monitor, look for one labled audio. there may be a mute or volume setting there you can adjust.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers