Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2009, 07:15 AM

821 posts, read 2,012,017 times

Advertisements

I have plugged in my camera cord, does not recoginze (last week it worked)
so, I tried the printer, still not working

everyting else on the laptop works
just the usb port is not working

is there a way to fix it, or can it be changed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 05:38 PM

82 posts, read 259,871 times
Default perform the following if all else fails...

Typically the usb ports are part of the mother board. If you find someone that knows what they are doing it is possible to remove it and put another one on. But in general, it is time to replace the motherboard. Without knowing the model I couldn't tell you what the cost would be. If you have another USB port you can purchase a usb hub that will cost you a lot less.

Something like this:
Newegg.com - BELKIN F5U403-BLK Hi-Speed USB 2.0 4-Port Lighted Hub - Hubs $19.99 + shipping.

Motherboard replacement:
MB cost (typically 100 or more) & install. We charge $75.00 to install them in laptops.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 03-09-2009 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: added title/disclaimer

Old 03-07-2009, 05:49 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,148,392 times
I know this may sound simplistic, and perhaps cocky (though I don't mean for it to sound that way), but have you tried restarting the computer? Something could simply be "out of whack" and it sometimes helps to reset the system. It has happened to me before...don't know why...but restarting has had a tendency to sort things out.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:56 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Go into device manager, delete ALL USB ports and controllers found, and reboot your system and let Windows rediscover and reinstall the USB drivers.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 03-09-2009 at 08:53 PM..

Old 03-08-2009, 01:01 PM

588 posts, read 2,829,382 times
It is VERY rare for a USB port failure to be hardware-related. The +5V supply to the port is protected by a fuse, so voltage shorts don't cause any permanent damage. If a lot of mechanical stress was put on the port, I could see the pins possibly being pulled out of alignment, but again that would be an extreme case.

My bet is this is some sort of driver issue.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:03 PM

821 posts, read 2,012,017 times
Visualevo-I can't do anything with your solution, I'm in Haiti at the present moment

Aquila-yep, did the reboot thing

Ashville Native-your my hero, I thought, well, it can't make it worse, since it doesn't work now, so I deleted them and then reboot and the computer said new hardware or something like that and after it finished, I plugged in my camera and it recognized it....YEAH, the day is saved

juggler-if what I did was called a driver issue then you were right also, thanks for all the reply's

Old 03-09-2009, 09:02 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,060,436 times
After plugging in a photo card reader on my work Dell laptop, the reader buggered up, and I then immediately lost a couple of the other USB port connections - and since the laptop is in a docking station, that meant my keyboard died,,, but for some reason, thankfully, the mouse connection was still there. So, was able to reboot [after shutting down ~24 apps I was working on ], and then all was good w/ the world... until I tried that durn card reader again. So, I let one of my engineers try it on his , and it killed his too. Yea, I'm an evil boss... Anyhow, moral of this story, besides feeling pity for those smucks that work for me, is that there could have been something buggering up your USB ports by a similar device as my card reader? Glad your ports are working now, as you are enjoying those warm sunny Caribbean breezes, as those poor souls here in Northern IN are enjoying cold brisk windy cloudy days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers