Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2009, 04:56 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,340,730 times

Advertisements

Here is what happened. I had burned a DVD which was successful as I double checked the files on the DVD. After that, I closed the program (Roxio CD Creator Classic) and opened up a pdf file that had a slideshow imbeddded in it. It was adobe flash and it kept asking if I wanted to let it play for this time only or for all times. I selected all times, and it was taking a long time to load and then I quit out of it. I went to copy files from another DVD onto the system and found that the system (Dell) could not read or recognize that there was a media in the drive. So I put in a few more DVD's and even a CD and Windows could not recognize anything in the drive.

I tried rebooting and that didn't work. I tried uninstalling adobe flash player and that did not fix anything. I wound up removing the DVD-RW drive from Device Manager and rebooted. Windows did recognize the drive but still refused to acknowledge anything I put in the drive.

By the way I am using Windows XP with latest security updates (sp3 I believe as well).

I believe this to be more of a software issue than a hardware issue. Any ideas or things to look for or try?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 05:06 PM

269 posts, read 911,013 times
When you say Windows recognized the drive are you saying in device manager or my computer? Basically does the drive show up in my computer? Can you right click and hit eject and have the tray pop out?

Old 11-22-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLippi View Post
When you say Windows recognized the drive are you saying in device manager or my computer? Basically does the drive show up in my computer? Can you right click and hit eject and have the tray pop out?
Windows Explorer and Device Manager both recognize and name the DVD drive properly. I have not attempted to right click on the drive and select eject. Its my parents computer, so I'm not in front of it right now.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:26 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Try this, insert your Dell OS recovery CD, restart the computer and tap the F12 key at the initial Dell logo screen, you should get a device boot menu, select the optical drive and see if it boots from the CD (you should get a message after that to press any key to boot from CD), if it does you have a software issue, if it doesn't you likely have a hardware issue.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:38 AM

Update.

Tried booting up from a bootable CD (which I know works because I used it at work) and it would not boot up. Still could not read the CD. I brought the DVD drive to work and connected it to another system and had the same result. Could not read, could not boot up with it. So its not software, definitely a hardware problem with the DVD.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:54 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,931,696 times
Dead drive. One of the cheapest components to replace too. If they can wait a few days, Newegg usually has drives like that for under $30.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:03 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Yup, time to go drive shopping!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers