Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 08:30 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,988 times

Advertisements

To be able to copy and paste say addresses downloaded in PDF from a CD-Rom, would Adobe Acrobat Professional be the program to use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 05:11 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,667,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
To be able to copy and paste say addresses downloaded in PDF from a CD-Rom, would Adobe Acrobat Professional be the program to use?
In the free version 9 of Adobe Reader, just highlight what you want copied, right click your mouse and select copy. Then just paste by right clicking mouse and selecting paste.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:03 AM

445 posts, read 1,604,868 times
It depends :

Are there alot of entries to copy - >100
Do you want name, address, city, state, etc separated for later use
Are you going to use them to print labels
It really depends on how the PDF was setup - I tried to use one PDF that was setup where you could not even use the search function

Old 05-04-2010, 06:31 AM

The pdf is jsut a list and Adobe Acrobat Standard 7 couldn't do anything - I found a cheap upgrade to adobe 8 acrobat professional and when that arrives I will try it. Don't know much about how to use them but it shouldn't be too difficult. Thans Thren and Steel

Old 05-04-2010, 06:34 AM

445 posts, read 1,604,868 times
I have Acrobat Pro 9 and just used the select tool to highlight some part numbers and prices - right click gave me the option to save as table and then pasted into excel - works like a charm. Let us know when you get 8 if this is in version 8

Old 05-04-2010, 12:08 PM

I will thanks Treen- I'm on a Mac but hope I can copy off the CD.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:10 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
You need to make sure the document has been OCR'd. That is what the free versions of Adobe cannot do.

I use Adobe Pro 8 for some stuff but I also use this to straight up convert PDF to Word docs.
ABBYY PDF Transformer - PDF Conversion, Creation and Adjustment Software

Old 05-04-2010, 01:10 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,858,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You need to make sure the document has been OCR'd. That is what the free versions of Adobe cannot do.
Your knowledge of PDF is lacking. The PDF imaging model natively supports text as well as vector artwork, in addition to sampled images. A "good" PDF never uses an image to represent text or vector artwork. The only time you should have an image that represents text is if your original was a paper document and the only way you could create the PDF was to scan the paper document. It's much better to have created the PDF from the creation application, either by direct PDF export, "PDFMakers" (MS Office Apps), or by printing through the "Adobe PDF" printer, which is really PostScript printing followed by conversion to PDF by Acrobat Distiller. That way you will usually preserve the text and vector artwork, with no need to OCR a sampled image to create the text.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:23 PM

Arrogant why not answer the question instead of coming on here to criticize someone else?

Can I used Acrobat 8 Profession a CD - rom which I copied to my drive and contains address and emails to where I can copy and paste those addresses somewhere else or can I make it a Word doc?

Old 05-05-2010, 08:45 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,933,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Can I used Acrobat 8 Profession a CD - rom which I copied to my drive and contains address and emails to where I can copy and paste those addresses somewhere else or can I make it a Word doc?
It somewhat depends on how the PDF document was created, as mentioned above. There are a variety of methods that I use to get text out of a PDF:

1. Try a "Save As" and change the document type to MS Word (*.doc). Open the saved .doc file and see what you end up with - it might be useful, it might not.

2. Try the copy and paste method - you might end up with usable text that you can paste into another application like MS Word. Even if you get the text, it might paste in a manner that requires you to spend some time cleaning up the formatting (for example, you may find it pasts in a series of text boxes).

3. OCR text recognition. You'll need a full version of Acrobat for this. Once you run the text recognition, either or both of the above options might work for you. (Again, some cleanup may be required.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers