Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 05:20 AM

8 posts, read 23,353 times

Advertisements

My husband got a job in Stamford and we would be moving in a few weeks, my daughter(7) would be going to elementary School. I have read (mostly from this forum) that schools in New Canaan are fabulous but what really is bothering me from what I have read that we wont be able to match up to the rich and uptown lifestyle of that place. We wont be able to afford luxury brands or custom made Nike all the time. We are moving from Europe and would be renting initially. I just wanted to know your opinion if we should move to New Canaan or should we stick to north of Stamford which is more diverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 05:53 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,456,102 times
the schools in New Canaan are much better....

Old 08-08-2010, 06:07 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
I have friends and family both in North Stamford as well as in New Canaan. You will find many people in N. Stamford are also obsessed with designer labels.

There is no comparison between Stamford and New Canaan schools performance-wise; New Canaan far outperforms Stamford. But if diversity is a main concern of yours, Stamford is definitely more diverse.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:16 AM

181 posts, read 905,953 times
And if you think Nike is the be all and end all for brand names, you are definitely in for a rude awakening!

Old 08-08-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeemom View Post
And if you think Nike is the be all and end all for brand names, you are definitely in for a rude awakening!
No I am aware Im in for a very rude awakening.... Yankee mom but I read in one of the forums about a mom who bought 18 pairs of 'custom made' Nike....hence...
My main concern is to get her into a good school but also not to be pushed everyday to match up the peers...

Old 08-08-2010, 09:15 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmad View Post
No I am aware Im in for a very rude awakening.... Yankee mom but I read in one of the forums about a mom who bought 18 pairs of 'custom made' Nike....hence...
My main concern is to get her into a good school but also not to be pushed everyday to match up the peers...
something in this thread has made my stomach queasy

Old 08-08-2010, 09:38 AM

I am sorry didnt want to hurt anyone's stomach.....

Old 08-08-2010, 10:00 AM

11 posts, read 42,186 times
First of all, don't be overwhelmed. People move to New Canaan because it's a wonderful place to raise a family. Yes, there is conspicuous consumption and some people you wouldn't want to sit next to at a dinner party. In the NYC metro area, where isn't that the case?

A few questions:

1. Where in Europe are you moving from?
2. Why Stamford vs. NC? Is commuting more than 10 minutes not an option?
3. Just one child?

Old 08-08-2010, 10:00 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmad View Post
The only towns I can think of that don't have that competition are Greenwich and Fairfield. You'll find that people are much more modest and down to earth. Greenwich is insanely wealthy but the folks who send their kids to public school are very friendly believe it or not. New Canaan and Darien (and as another poster noted, N Stamford as well) has a keep up with the neighbors mentality. Don't get me wrong, New Canaan has excellent schools (among the best in the country), but you will find that some people in town will view your accomplishments as a threat. You just have to learn to ignore those folks. JMO after living there.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 08-08-2010 at 10:11 AM..

Old 08-08-2010, 10:49 AM

Thanks everyone for the response...its really appreciated
We are moving from Ireland but we are Indians we have previously lived in London as well but we dint have any kids at that time.....
I have 2 kids 7 and 3.....
CT looks like a nice place and I know there are all sorts of people everywhere Its just that I am really worried before choosing something so important
We just want to keep the commute as short as possible coz my husband would be working very long hours...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut