Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 01:08 PM

8 posts, read 25,257 times

Advertisements

Hello. If anyone has an answer to this question, I would surely appreciate it.

I have been collecting unemployment benefits for most of the year. Apparently, my tier 1 benefits ended at the very end of November. I received 3 determinations in the mail for 20, 33, and 34 weeks respectively. Even though it did not clearly say, I am assuming this is my extention to tier 2. However, when I went to file my claim yesterday, I was unable to and received a message stating that I was"not authorized to file continued claim".

On the last check I received it stated "File after 01/01/11 for possible new benefit year. Continue to file for tier 2 EUC benefits".

Does this have something to do with Congress not passing a new extention yet or have I been cut off for good?

I have spent the day trying to call the unemployment office, but keep getting the "due to heavy call volumes....." message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 02:01 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,691,069 times
how many weeks of benefits have you actually received so far?
not sure it will help but here's how mine went for 09-10..

opened my initial claim in April 09 and started collecting the states standard 26 weeks at that time. i collected for 19 weeks before i got a job and reopened that 3 months later when that job ended. I finished that up at the end of 09 (day after Xmas).
without me having to call the UE office, they started sending me my alloted extension weeks on 1/2/10 which up until i got a job in June, amounted to 25 weeks. now that i'm out again, i had to call the UE office to reopen the claim and they said i still had 9 weeks coming to me which will last me until about the first week in Feb. i will then have to wait until April before i can start collecting again (unless the govt by that time ok's more extensions).
to best of my knowledge that 34 weeks was part of the government extensions so even though i'm not complaining, am wondering why they weren't terminated last week like everybody elses was.
like i said it's very confusing.

and yes i can relate to the ridiculous wait times on the phone trying to talk to these people. i waited about 50 mins last week when i called to reopen my claim. of course you have to call on a particular day too.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:35 PM

Thanks Slipperman. I collected the original 26 weeks followed by the 20 weeks of tier 1 benefits.

The most frustrating part of this is being unable to speak to an actual representative to ask a question.

I literally called all day long today and received the same message telling me to call back at a later time.

Hopefully if and when Congress approves the bill I'll be able to claim again.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:30 PM

btw, when i've gotten that 'not authorized' message in the past, it just meant that i had to talk to someone at the UE office to reopen/continue the claim. i know you've been trying to do that but once you do, you may still be eligible for the next 'tier' of payments. but again this extension thing has really been an enigma wrapped in a riddle to me.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:30 AM

thanks. I plan to spend today on the phone trying to speak to a representative. I'm hearing that the extention may be approved by weeks end so hopefully this will be cleared up for a lot of people.

Regarding your last post, I'm thinking that yours may not have been cut off because you had begun a new tier. Apparently, if you have ended a tier and the extentions have not been approved you cannot move to a new tier even if it's below the 99 week max. Strange, but I guess this is how it works.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:47 AM

Update: Called this morning and got through relatively quickly (35 minutes). Was told I was the 6th person to call today with same problem. The rep filed for me and said I should be able to file as normal next week. Apparently, it had nothing to do with the Congress extentions. It was a glitch in the system.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmet99 View Post
Update: Called this morning and got through relatively quickly (35 minutes). Was told I was the 6th person to call today with same problem. The rep filed for me and said I should be able to file as normal next week. Apparently, it had nothing to do with the Congress extentions. It was a glitch in the system.
cool.. being out of work sucks doesn't it?

Old 12-07-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
cool.. being out of work sucks doesn't it?

yes, it does suck. It seems I'm either overqualified for positions in my field or interview for and do not get, better positions.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:44 PM

well it looks like they passed another stimulus bill which will be good for me come Feb..

Old 12-07-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
well it looks like they passed another stimulus bill which will be good for me come Feb..

oh, that is good news for sure! is the stimulus bill the extra $25 per week?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut