Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2008, 03:38 PM

12 posts, read 49,629 times

Advertisements

I mentioned in another thread that I might be moving to Stamford next year. I've decided to be proactive and I've started looking at real estate websites, just to get a sense of what I should expect to pay for what I would be looking for (which is a 2 bedroom, 2 bath for less than $325K).

I'm a city girl so I'd like to move to either a Mid or High Rise in Stamford or Norwalk. I didn't see any High Rises in Norwalk, but I did come across one that looked good out on the Coldwell Banker site that was listed in Stamford. The address was 1 Strawberry Hill Avenue.

Is this in a safe part of town? Is it one of many in the area? I guess my real question is if I want to be in a Mid or High Rise condo building, what part of Stamford should I be looking in? My priorities are safety, proximity to Metra North, property value and diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 04:17 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
It should be relatively safe. It's probably about the same distance from the Stamford and Glenbrook stations. I think the resident profile is a little older than most buildings in Stamford(it's not age-restricted though). I think the main drawback would be that it's on a very busy corner. A lot of traffic and noise to contend with. Just up the street is fountain terrace(71,91 Strawberry) which is more diverse and more affordable than 1 SH, and may be a little quieter also. It's been awhile since i've visited 1 SH, but it did seem to be nicer than fountain terrace. More $$$$ though.
Good luck.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:05 PM

12 posts, read 49,629 times
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
It should be relatively safe. It's probably about the same distance from the Stamford and Glenbrook stations. I think the resident profile is a little older than most buildings in Stamford(it's not age-restricted though). I think the main drawback would be that it's on a very busy corner. A lot of traffic and noise to contend with. Just up the street is fountain terrace(71,91 Strawberry) which is more diverse and more affordable than 1 SH, and may be a little quieter also. It's been awhile since i've visited 1 SH, but it did seem to be nicer than fountain terrace. More $$$$ though.
Good luck.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:40 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,449,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrelaJoman View Post
I mentioned in another thread that I might be moving to Stamford next year. I've decided to be proactive and I've started looking at real estate websites, just to get a sense of what I should expect to pay for what I would be looking for (which is a 2 bedroom, 2 bath for less than $325K).

I'm a city girl so I'd like to move to either a Mid or High Rise in Stamford or Norwalk. I didn't see any High Rises in Norwalk, but I did come across one that looked good out on the Coldwell Banker site that was listed in Stamford. The address was 1 Strawberry Hill Avenue.

Is this in a safe part of town? Is it one of many in the area? I guess my real question is if I want to be in a Mid or High Rise condo building, what part of Stamford should I be looking in? My priorities are safety, proximity to Metra North, property value and diversity.
If looking at a map of Stamford, use Washington Blvd on the left as a border (roughly) and Hope St on the right as a border, anywhere between those two streets is absolutely safe, without a doubt. Most of Stamford is a walk in the park in terms of safety, as compared to other cities its size in the US--so the only glaring neighborhoods I'd suggest you avoid are the West Side and some south end areas. The area you are looking at is very desirable and extremely safe.
Have you been to Stamford? Come check it out again if you can. Downtown is a great place to invest, as a new Ritz-Carlton, a new Trump Tower, and several new office towers/apartment buildings are proposed or under construction.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:23 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
If looking at a map of Stamford, use Washington Blvd on the left as a border (roughly) and Hope St on the right as a border, anywhere between those two streets is absolutely safe, without a doubt.
I'd exclude franklin and woodside st. Aside from those, the rest of those streets(Washington eastward to Hope) are fine.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:48 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Folks, I am moving again. Darien is awesome, but I'm sick of the house I'm in, where owner controls heat and some nights I'm left freezing Don't get me wrong, the house is awesome and pretty and I'm kind of living cozy upstairs during the day, with excellent views, ONLY on weekends

I just found a great, brand spanking new apartment/condo behind Tully Health center for 1500 a month and the owner was okay with the pit bull too, with added fees.

This is going to be a pain to commute to either Darien or Noroton station, hoping I can get by with voucher parking. But I hope there aren't a lot of anti-social elements in this area of strawberry hill avenue?!?!?! I sometimes jog late at night, what are the chances of me getting attacked????

Old 01-24-2011, 11:20 PM

34 posts, read 76,449 times
I am very familiar with the area, worked off strawberry hill for quite some time.

Its basically the outskirts of downtown, stamford has a very excellent Manhatten style'd area. Getting "attacked" isn't likely in that area, and if you were to get attacked...stamford hospital is right there! :]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut