Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2007, 03:09 PM

81 posts, read 615,705 times

Advertisements

My husband and I were looking to relocate from NYC to either Northern Westchester or to Stratford (I'm pushing for CT). However, my husband is really pushing back on Stratford based on the time we'd spend commuting to work in NYC and the issues with the school systems. I have a colleague that lives in Wilton and recommended Fairfield. I've heard great things about the schools there.

I haven't researched it yet and I was wondering if anyone can recommend nice sections with reasonably priced homes (for me that means no more than $440,000 for a 3BR/2BTH home). Is this possible in Fairfield and if so where? Also, are there any safety issues I need to be aware of? Is it easy to get a permit to park at the train station?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 04:21 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan29 View Post
My husband and I were looking to relocate from NYC to either Northern Westchester or to Stratford (I'm pushing for CT). However, my husband is really pushing back on Stratford based on the time we'd spend commuting to work in NYC and the issues with the school systems. I have a colleague that lives in Wilton and recommended Fairfield. I've heard great things about the schools there.

I haven't researched it yet and I was wondering if anyone can recommend nice sections with reasonably priced homes (for me that means no more than $440,000 for a 3BR/2BTH home). Is this possible in Fairfield and if so where? Also, are there any safety issues I need to be aware of? Is it easy to get a permit to park at the train station?

Thanks in advance.
Fairfield has an excellent school system; Norwalk has some issues but its certainly not considered bad.
Parking at commuter stations can be a problem from what I have heard- perhaps others can provide definite information.
Crime in the city of Fairfield is a non issue.

Finding a home at $440K as you specified in Fairfield should be easily doable.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:25 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times
cryan29 - Fairfield is a great town with a lot of housing options and excellent schools. I grew up there and my family has lived in town for almost 90 years. I still have a lot of family and firends there.

There are really no bad areas to live unless you choose a home that is on or immediately adjacent to a busy road or highway. The commute into Manhatten is just over an hour which really isn't too bad esecially if you can catch an express which has limited stops after Fairfield. Check the Metro North train schedule. Fairfield also has wonderful parks and beaches and there is excellent shopping, restaurants and entertainment options. There is however no major discount department store in town like Target or WalMart. There are supermarkets and a Kohl's, TJ Maxx, Marshall's and Bob's plus many smaller stores. The Trumbull mall is a short drive away.

The eastern side of Fairfield is slightly more affordable than the western side. There are plans for a new train station on this side of town which will make commuting a lot easier and should make this side a bit more desireable than it was. Already the area is seeing a lot of redevelopment and new or remodeled homes.

In you price range you can find a modest home. You would get a lot more in Stratford though, but more than you would probably get in towns located closer to New York. check Realtor.com and craigslist.com for listings and see what is available. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions. Jay

Old 08-01-2007, 07:15 AM

67 posts, read 227,832 times
If you can afford Fairfield I would do it hands down. As mentioned previously the schools are great and the town is wonderful. The only complaint would be the expense for housing and that over the years it has gotten more congested. As Jays 90 year family history can attest to and the 87 years mine has lived in town, there have been a ton of changes. Your price range may be a little tight for Fairfield but check on the web for current inventory. Either way I HIGHLY recommend it.

Stratford would tack on about 10 mins to your commute to NYC but you would be able to afford a very nice 4 bedroom in Stratford for your price range or a fantastic 3 bedroom. The town has some very nice areas and is right on the Merritt, I-95, and the train line. I would look in the Putney, Paradise Green, or Lordship areas of town. Academy Hill is nice as well. If you don't need to be walking distance to the water stick to the North End of town. The town is addressing the school issue with increased funding and the recruiting of specialized administrators. It's not bad at all, but in my opinion it's not the Fairfield school system.

Good luck with the hunt.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:41 AM

81 posts, read 615,705 times
Thanks for all the feedback!

Ronson-I actually looked online and found a lot of homes out there in the $380-$450k range. They were definitely smaller than the homes I saw in Stratford; however, they were very nice and had adequate land. Also, the property taxes were 20% cheaper which is a plus. I'm willing to sacrifice space for a nice community with great schools. I'm going to scout out the area first, then I'll enlist a broker and start looking at the homes I'm interested in.

JayCT wrote some interesting changes going on in Fairfield and it looks like a town that's only going to get better.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut