Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2011, 03:50 PM

811 posts, read 1,738,436 times

Advertisements

Went to Misquamicut beach yesterday and there was a full on assault by a bunch of bugs/flies. Some seemed more of a nuisance (looked like mini bees almost) while there were also a bunch of blood drilling horse flies.

I was also bit by something that left a swollen lump on my leg that's about 4 inches in diameter and red. Been told by multiple people it doesn't look like tick/lyme. A few other bites have left almost dark red scars. These are from previous beach trips around Westport.

Anyone else been bitten more than usual at the beaches lately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 06:19 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,269,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbrooktrout View Post
Went to Misquamicut beach yesterday and there was a full on assault by a bunch of bugs/flies. Some seemed more of a nuisance (looked like mini bees almost) while there were also a bunch of blood drilling horse flies.

I was also bit by something that left a swollen lump on my leg that's about 4 inches in diameter and red. Been told by multiple people it doesn't look like tick/lyme. A few other bites have left almost dark red scars. These are from previous beach trips around Westport.

They are everywhere this year. Yards, hiking in woods, beaches. The above average rains and heat is the culprit. I hope heat lovers are taking notes on whats included with summer.

Extra Larva and eggs from bugs are widespread this year, especially beetles and small flys like you mentioned. Mosuitoes too.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:59 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,263 times
Yes, the "sand flies" have been awful this year. I haven't been to the beach for 3 weeks now because of the annoyance associated with swatting flies every few seconds. The "no-see-em" fly population also seems incredibly large this summer. Thankfully I haven't seen the horse flies. The lump you mentioned sounds like it came from a spider; tick bites leave a circular rash.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:08 AM

21,734 posts, read 28,065,714 times
Experienced some horse flies on the beach Saturday. First time this year.

Does anything keep away sand flies?

Old 07-11-2011, 09:18 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Experienced some horse flies on the beach Saturday. First time this year.

Does anything keep away sand flies?
A quick search showed DEET won't work on the sand flies but cactus juice or Avon's Skin So Soft may. I'd personally recommend the Avon because my mom used to spray me with it as a kid to keep off mosquitoes and flies; I rarely got bit.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:49 AM

21,734 posts, read 28,065,714 times
Yeah, Skin So Soft is what I use. I never put it on for our beach because I didn't need to, but will have to start spraying this year.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:17 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,159,694 times
Yes, we spent the weekend at Black Point Beach and they were everywhere!

Old 07-11-2011, 06:39 PM

680 posts, read 1,575,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbrooktrout View Post

Man, if bugs have a internet forum it might look like this:

Some idiot came to Misquamicut beach yesterday and tried to step on us. Seemed more of a nuisance (looked like some XXXX) We launched a full assault and got a good full 4inch swollen lump out of his leg.

I heard my buddies from Westport had taught this guy a good lesson before but apparently he didn't learn.

Anyone else notice more of these nuisance on our territory than usual?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut