Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 10:08 AM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

Glad they are stepping up. I'm on the road a lot and I see some crazy sh..it including folks on the phone. Wish we can do something to help when we see someone with the phone in hand behind the wheel.

Distracted driving happens 11.1 million times a day - StamfordAdvocate

More with link...

Quote:
Nearly 10 percent of Connecticut drivers are either talking or texting on cellphones, accounting for 11.1 million separate instances of distracted driving every day, a study released Tuesday said.

Even if that number seems high, it does not even include drivers on the interstates, said Neil Chaudhary, vice president of Preusser Research Group, which conducted the research for the state Department of Transportation.

"We surveyed only local roads, so the actual number is much higher," Chaudhary said. "We established a percent of use for texting and holding the phone to the ear, and I'm very confident in that number."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 10:13 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,239,343 times
Yup....there were a bunch of officers doing checks near my place yesterday in Norwalk, around 3:30. They posted on facebook that they got a bunch of people.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:14 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,441,091 times
How are cops NOT distracted by using the MDT computers as they drive, are they super human? One cop hit a kid on a bike here in Florida and was never charged, even after admitting to using his computer, wandering out of his lane and hit the kid.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:55 AM

I saw one officer using binoculars to catch someone down the road before the checkpoint. Checking for phone users and no seatbelt I assume too. Great idea! Lets make the roads safer! Thousands of vehicles on the roads and not enough cops on them.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:42 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
I don't know if anyone knows the answer to this... I used my cell phone as a GPS when driving. Is that legal?

Old 04-22-2015, 11:43 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,311,589 times
That's a scary number. 10% of all drivers?! That's roughly 200,000 drivers. I know for a fact it's not that many but I'm sure everyone has done it once in awhile. You know we get pissed when we see someone texting or on their phones but we all know we have done it at least once. I'll admit and say I've done it once or twice and its not the smartest thing to do. I've been seeing more and more green light sitters within the past decade or so. I'm not gonna say that everyone texts at a red light but it's so common that almost everyone does it. It's extremely easy for a police officer to be at a light and find more than 1 on their cell phones. People are unaware of their surroundings. The thing is that you can't stop texting and driving. It's seeminlgy impossible and it will always happen whether we do something or not. Cell phones are destroying youths. It's one of those thing where if you don't have it, you'll feel empty inside. It's their connection to the outside world and when that lonely feeling creeps up on them, they will whip out the phone and text. It's sad but we are so connected to social media and phones that it will be impossible to change everyone's perception on cell phones.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I don't know if anyone knows the answer to this... I used my cell phone as a GPS when driving. Is that legal?
I believe it needs to be in a cradle instead of holding it while driving. Not sure. I used to do that but then remembered I had an actual GPS so its just easy to listen to the chick tell me where to go and where to turn. LOL But I know it's nice to look at the map sometimes though. Especially the Google traffic map

Old 04-22-2015, 01:03 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,311,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I believe it needs to be in a cradle instead of holding it while driving. Not sure. I used to do that but then remembered I had an actual GPS so its just easy to listen to the chick tell me where to go and where to turn. LOL But I know it's nice to look at the map sometimes though. Especially the Google traffic map
It needs to be hands free

Old 04-22-2015, 04:02 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
You can use it as anything you want, as long as you're not holding it while you're using it. If you're using it for audio it has to be either hooked up to your car stereo or a headset. If you're using it as a GPS it has to be mounted (you can buy a dashboard mount for them now).

Old 04-22-2015, 04:03 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
That's a scary number. 10% of all drivers?! That's roughly 200,000 drivers. I know for a fact it's not that many but I'm sure everyone has done it once in awhile. You know we get pissed when we see someone texting or on their phones but we all know we have done it at least once. I'll admit and say I've done it once or twice and its not the smartest thing to do. I've been seeing more and more green light sitters within the past decade or so. I'm not gonna say that everyone texts at a red light but it's so common that almost everyone does it. It's extremely easy for a police officer to be at a light and find more than 1 on their cell phones. People are unaware of their surroundings. The thing is that you can't stop texting and driving. It's seeminlgy impossible and it will always happen whether we do something or not. Cell phones are destroying youths. It's one of those thing where if you don't have it, you'll feel empty inside. It's their connection to the outside world and when that lonely feeling creeps up on them, they will whip out the phone and text. It's sad but we are so connected to social media and phones that it will be impossible to change everyone's perception on cell phones.
I don't own a cell phone, and my tablet's phone capability requires me to be in an xfinity hotspot in order for it to work. Even if I did have a cell phone, I would shut it OFF while driving. I'd probably have it turned off most of the time, which is why I don't own one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut